See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Generally room dated. Room smelt strongly of cigarette smoke. Big step up into shower. Location close to city which was handy. Very noisy during night hearing the shower or spa from other rooms going. Oil heater only heating in the room.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

For over $200 bucks a night this motel is a rip off. The room was small, cramped and cold with only a small cheap heater to give you heat that worked and made the room warm but also kept you awake as it was so noisy

When I queried the price of the room for what we got I was told they put their prices up for the Lions tour. When we checked in on the Friday they were the only motel that still had vacancies and now I can see why.

Room was meant to be carpeted. It wasn't. Old rusty fridge in the room and electric blankets on one bed not both beds. Flies in the room when we checked in( it was winter!!) and you got to use the same sink to wash your dishes in that you did your face! The shower was powerful but would only suit people under 5'10 or you will be very cramped in the cubicle.

Tried to iron out clothes but it was full of grease so asked for another one. No apology. I tried to use the spare blanket from the wardrobe but this stunk to high heaven, I don't think it's ever seen a wash. It was so bad we had to remove it from the room. No apology or replacement blanket offered.

We had great accommodation throughout NZ, all much cheaper than this place and all way over quality level. Wifi was limited to 200mbs a day and when I complained I was told this is a motel not a hotel. A tip..... do not charge hotel prices and reinvest the overpriced fees you have taken from travellers and refurbish your motel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

The motel rooms are quite dated, but we surprisingly manage to get a decent nights sleep on the soft mattress. We stayed here 3 nights and the room was kept clean and the staff are friendly.
Great location near to New Market and Mt Eden. The rooms just need an upgrade.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2017

I booked myself and 3 friends accommodation through booking.com at this property.

Before I even stayed at the property the property charged my credit card the full room rate despite the booking conditions stating only 50%.

This room was shocking was on the second story the problems were:

- Big gap between entry door and outside below with no draft cover
- Lack of appropriate heating (small fan heater and a 10yr+old absolutely filthy with dust oil fin heater)
- Queen bed in the bed room was bloody uncomfortable
- Rail outside to stop a fall off second story was broken
- No wifi codes provided on check in
- No fresh milk provided

This motel was $180 for the night, in other parts of the country you would get the same thing for $90-$120. The shortage of accommodation in Auckland is what keeps this business open.

The motel is well below what I consider an acceptable standard for accommodation and as a Kiwi it horrifies me that such a motel is still able to be open. There will be some incredibly disappointed people who book this room and will feel totally ripped off.

Please if you are looking for accommodation try Air Bnb and other properties before looking here Ascot Epsom Motel is unfortunately well and truly past its best before date.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Scottf_6789
Reviewed 12 April 2017

Our first night in NZ was just a stopover in Auckland. The motel is quite dated but attempts have been made to freshen the rooms. The beds were comfortable and the room has a pleasant decor. I'm glad I didn't relay on cooking in the room - listed as a kitchenette and would do the job, but very basic.
There was no central aircon or heating and therefore the only ventilation came from opening a door - couldn't get the window open!
A good location and easy to find, and some nice places to eat just a short stroll up the street (try some grilled snapper from the fish and chip shop - yummy!)
The room was booked through bookings.com with a request for ground floor which was delivered with no fuss!
Overall a pleasant motel, very easy check in and out with good staff, and a good location.

Room Tip: We requested a ground floor room - a little bit of road noise but it had a mini court yard which would be handy for. Smokers!
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family