“Sunday lunch ... good food though very rich, very friendly staff and spotlessly clean ...”
Review of The Elsted Inn

The Elsted Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Elsted
Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 28
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcoming, family-friendly pub and dining room offering seasonally inspired food, prepared to order using the best of local ingredients-dog friendly. Bespoke meals prepared for all dietary requests, as long as we have the ingredients.
Reviewed 3 August 2017

We have been meaning to call in as we heard Lisa and Malcolm had retired last year and last Sunday finally we did. Firstly, a real shame no sample menu is displayed on the website, we have looked often but have never been tempted as we had no idea of food style or prices other than reading other TA reviews, however, we took a risk as the pub is a little off the beaten track but a lovely drive near to Midhurst.

We went for olives and bread as we were told the mains would take a little time as freshly cooked which is obviously a good thing but on reflection we wished we hadn't as the main course was very generous and we would have preferred a pudding but we should have said so. We were a little disappointed that the roast lamb was described as fatty as it isn't our thing but appreciated the explanation and didn't choose it. The roast pork was beautifully cooked though again we thought fatty ... belly pork rather than roast leg of pork and the other choice was not a roast chicken but chicken supreme so we went for the belly pork which again we felt was rather rich. Roast potatoes were very hot, fresh and tasted beautiful, veg was nice but the greens a little too under-cooked but better that way rather than over-cooked I guess. The Yorkshire pudding wasn't great as I think it needed more egg and hadn't risen much so I left most of it though didn't feel particularly bothered as there was plenty of food without it. I always suspect restaurants who serve it without beef are filling the plate rather than offering something delectable and in this case I'm afraid I was right. I sound picky but largely everything was presented nicely, hot, fresh but somehow not as good as it could be though reasonably priced we felt.

We couldn't manage desserts which sounded lovely and looked good on the next table (fruit crumble, chocolate brownie with ice cream etc.) as I said we definitely should have missed the bread and olives for the dessert.

On reflection we enjoyed our lunch and said so but towards the end of the meal felt the meat was just too rich which was a shame as we would visit again but not on a Sunday. However, if there is no online menu to show what sort of food is being offered on Saturdays or during the evenings I doubt we will be tempted in the near future ... you have a website so please at least give a sample menu. Lisa and Malcolm uploaded a menu every day which was wonderful but middle road would be appreciated. Most of my friends surf the net checking menus before deciding where to eat so I know I'm not alone in this request?

Thais R, Owner at The Elsted Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Dear JulieHolidays22,

Thank you for taking the time to review and for your thorough feedback. I shall pass on your best wishes to Malcolm and Lisa (family friends of mine).

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

A quaint pub at first sight, but a wonderful quirky restaurant at second. The food was so delicious my partner and I just managed to stuff a third course in, for fear of missing out. Superbly displayed food, cooked from scratch. Would definitely ago by again if passing the area.

Thais R, Owner at The Elsted Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

Dear Laurie S,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write your review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your meal and experience with us; and we hope to see you again soon!

Thais and the team at The Elsted Inn

Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

We happened to stumble on this lovely little pub on a jaunt around the country. Fabulous atmosphere, lovely beer garden and the cleanest toilets I've ever seen in a pub! Will definitely try and find it again.

2  Thank Corrina J
Thais R, Owner at The Elsted Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2017

Dear Corrina J,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a lovely review. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2017

We went to the Elsted Inn to enjoy a day of festivities in a rural setting and weren't disappointed. It was very friendly, the food was very tasty and the huge selection of ales set up for the event was amazing and tasty as well. A cozy pub, dining room and dog friendly inn, we felt really treated. Slept well and woke up to birdsong. We highly recommend it who wants to get away from it all and relax.

1  Thank OzmosisSB
Thais R, Owner at The Elsted Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2017

Dear Sumishta,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review - and I'm delighted that you enjoyed yourself so much! We all had an awesome time at the festival - so glad you could make it.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

We hadn't planned to come here, we decided to detour off our set route to find somewhere new. We weren't disappointed, we received a warm welcome and the dog bowl and biscuits were much appreciated by my dog. The food, freshly prepared, was very tasty, especially the rustic chips, we couldn't fit in any pudding. I would definitely come here again.

1  Thank Julie A

Dear Julie A,

Thank you so very much for your review, and I'm delighted that you decided to give our pub a try, and really enjoyed your stay here!

We look forward to seeing you again.

Thais (Landlady)