See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 January 2015

Durika is a not only a community that makes you feel at home since the moment you arrive, but these wonderful people have been preserving and reforesting the rainforest in the Talamanca mountains for the last 20 years! Thanks for this great work you have done!
The warm people at Durika have immense knowledge about the flora and fauna around them and if you go there you should definitely take one of the tours they offer. Eberhard is an botanist specialized in orchids and he will tell you any detail about this wonderful plants. The food is basic but excellent. Most of the organic ingredients are from their own garden, energy is from their own small hydro-power-station and the water was the clearest and tastiest I have ever been blessed with. The drive up there is an experience itself, but make sure you go there by four wheel drive only!
So, if you ever want to get close to the people of Costa Rica and its nature go to Durika community.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We spent 2 full days living in the scenic mountains, a very great experience of meeting warm people of the Durika community. Food is vegetarian and bio and tastes excellent. The huts are basic, but cosy. The road from buenos aires to this place is challenging, therefore if you are intending to drive by your car better make sure you arrive before sunset. Be sure you have a strong spirit and a proper 4x4 with a strong engine (not SUV) and experience in driving steep bumpy gravel roads, many big loose stones and sandy terrain. This is a hard trip but is really worth it. We witnessed the whole process of making of coffee, cheese and natural soaps. Also we did yoga at the sunrise in such a serene environment. There are beautiful walks in the nature, including visits to primary forest and waterfalls. Looking forward to comeback some day to this lovely place. This place is honey for soul :-)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Before you hire a taxi to drive you UP to the Biological Reserve, make CERTAIN the driver will bring you ALL the way to the top...some drivers let you out at the stream, NEVER do that. The walk up was a religious experience in itself, they knew we were coming, our cries for help were heard & they were coming after us with flashlights! We could've died that night for being incredibly stupid! Just have a driver that will take you the entire way! The cost up to HEAVEN is worth ANY price!!!! They had Tofu w/noodles in a lovely sauce, waiting for us upon arrival. The people that live here dedicate their lives to helping the indigenous tribes with medical care. ALL of their profits go into the People & the Earth of the Durika Mountain. The next morning they said that we had brought them luck, because they just had twin goats born. After a celebration breakfast, they brought us where all the goats are kept. They were burning their little stubs where the horns would grow. We held the little kids, crying like babies, while we had an experience of a lifetime! The people here were so warm & compassionate. They don't allow cigarettes & booze, I went without for a week! It was such a natural high being up in the clouds! In the morning, you'd wake up to clouds rolling thru the cabin. The knowledgeable staff would take us on DayTreks!!!! Once to the waterfall, taking notice to all the hummingbirds nest dangerously hanging by a thread in the midst of the falls! Another time, to the Indian Burial Grounds & the lone Eagle circling the Indian Graveyard, making small shrieks across the crisp sky! Plus, the Animal Awareness Trek....watch out on this one!!!! He told us to stand back & with his stick he barely touched a round-tunnel-like web...and, a huge tarantula came CHARGING out!!!! The walks along these small trails are NOT for the faint hearted. No stores, no sodas, no booze, no cigarettes....we were busy everyday, so much was going on, we even worked the garden. My daughter & I loved this place! It's so unique & a learning experience. Everything is vegan & delicious!!!! And, the people are the best around! Looking forward to return in the future, to see how their productivity has grown. Melissa (my daughter & I) love this place!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 20 February 2013

A friend's love of Durika drew me there last year. My description of my experience enticed my daughter and son-in-law to join me in January 2013. They loved it so much they plan to come next year and bring their two teenagers! And so it goes..... Durika has it all for the person who doesn't crave luxury accommodations but rather nature at its best. It is indescribable: the hour trek up the mountain road that is worse than any ATV trail at home; the cloud forest that can settle in around you; the absolutely delicious vegetarian food. I finally got the recipe for the Gallo Pinto so I can make it at home! the hikes to the coffee and banana plantations, the waterfall, or into the rain forest; the 2 day trek up to the Continental Divide through 6 ecosystems; the massages; Reflexology treatments; treatments for your other ailments; and smiles from the hard working community members....I cannot possibly describe it in a review when it took me over 2 hours to do a slide show to my women's group when I returned from my first visit.
Check out www.durika.org and see some of the photos, but, you won't get the true feel for Durika unless you make that trek up the mountain yourself!

Room Tip: If a hot shower is really important to you, ask when you book if a cabin with hot water is available. There may or not be, but, they do try to accommodate if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank InsuranceBroker
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Durika is exactly the way life should be in the best of worlds. The nature of course is at its best. But it is the people that made it perfect for me. The kind, loving and compassionnate atmosphere they created in Durika moved me very much. That is the most precious memory I brought back with me.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends