“Enjoyed the service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Verdon Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanley
Verdon Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hanley B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed the service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

As title reads, we enjoyed the service very much. Hotel was nice enough, staff were as hotel staff are. Rooms were adequate and suitable for the price per night, cleaning services were good, all of our accommodating needs were met, I was especially impressed with one of the staff who had very dark hair (didn't manage to ask her name although she was very friendly), very accommodating. Breakfast was good, location is good for city centre shopping/night life. Would recommend.

2 Thank je_taime_66
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Verdon Guest House last night. Having read many of the reviews on this site that were positive, I had high hopes that we had chosen a nice place to stay. On arrival we were welcomed and the lady made us a cup of tea which was kind. We were asked to pay up front which I felt wasn't really the done thing, but I suppose it saved us the issue of paying the next day. We were shown to our room which was room number 4. I was disappointed to find that this room smelt either of damp or of stale cigarette smoke, it was not pleasant to say the least. Furthermore, there was a bar on the window which was high up and not easy to get to, to open. It made the room feel like a prison cell to some extent. The furniture is rather dated, in fact the entire room could do with a major face lift. It needs a good coat of paint, new furniture and for that smell to be got rid of. I noticed in the photos on the website that the chair next to the bed had been strategically placed to hide a mark on the dresser where it was damaged. The photos on the website are very misleading. It has made me question my trust in such web sites. There was an adjoining ensuite bathroom which appeared to be new with a 'rainshower' which was fairly good. However, the sink wasn't in great shape as the tap seemed to wobble, this needs fixing. There is also an adjoining second bedroom to room 4 with twin beds. This other bedroom was freezing cold which would be worrying for guests staying there in the winter.
The staff at the hotel seemed nice enough, but they are sorely let down by the general appearance of the guest house and the fact that it looks like it needs a lot of money spent on it to modernise it. If anyone gets allocated room 4, I strongly advise that they ask to be moved as the smell in that room is awful.
I will say that the bed I slept it was fairly comfortable though, I did manage to get some sleep, but I came away from the hotel feeling disappointed and dirty because of the smell in our room.
Breakfasts are served at £5 per person which is fairly reasonable. At least the breakfasts were nice and I was happy with that.
The location of the guest house is in the town centre of Hanley, and would probably suit guests who are planning a night out on the town in the clubs and bars and who are not particularly bothered if they have to 'rough' it a bit for the night. If you are looking for somewhere a bit more special, I advise you look for somewhere else. We paid £56 in total (including 2 breakfasts at £5 each) but I think the room is quite over priced for what we got. I would have only valued that room at a maximum of £30 for a night, if not less.
I have to say though in conclusion, we will not stay at the Verdon Guest House again and just have to put this down to a disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Room 4 smelt funny, either of stale cigarettes or damp. If you are allocated this room, ask to be m...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank alisonuzzell
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

Not a good looker from the outside but the room was large and had been refurbished about a year ago, onsuite amazing, big telly, fridge, plates and spoons, jug of milk provided, comfy bed. This hotel was only 44 pounds a night for 2, central to town and quiet. We had our own breakfast so didn't have theirs. The best value of out trip and more than you expect from a B & B, recommended!

2 Thank palmynz
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Verdon for one night with our 5 year old boy. We found the service to be outstanding from the moment we arrived. Designated a parking space the moment we arrived right outside the hotel. The owner greeted and welcomed us instantly. Our family room was suprisingly large, and in fact was almost a suite, with 2 bedrooms and the high spec modern bathroom was a lovely suprise. Our room was suitable for a family of 5, with a huge flat screen tv, SKY TV, and dvd player, much to the delight of our 5 year old. The bedroom was even fitted with a fridge (a great luxury in a guest house, as usually only found in hotel rooms). Our stay was excellent value for money, and the breakfast was outstanding. All staff were extremely friendly, and very accomodating. Our child is a very fussy eater, and the owner and kitchen staff went out of their way to ensure they catered for his dietary needs. Overall, we were delighted with our stay and would have no hesitation in recommending this lovely guest house to others. Situated within walking distance of the town centre and near to a main road, there was suprisingly no traffic noise. If you are looking for a night stay on a tight budget that provides high quality service, Verdon House is where you need to be.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank natalie0lb
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

We stayed at the Verdon B & B last week 1-3 June 2011. The welcome was warm, our room very modern and comfortable. This is a good place to stay - there are only 4 things you need from a B&B and that is location, comfortable bed, delicious breakfast and shower. The location was perfect for us; a lovely comfortable bed crisp white linen (made for you every day) and a brilliant shower. We enjoyed our breakfast that was cooked fresh each morning with extras as required. Perhaps a little under-priced for the service and comfort -but we are not complaining; that was really a bonus! We have stayed in many places and different kinds of hotels and b & bs - this was perfect for us. Thank you to the team.
Margaret and Laura - room 12.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Loz049
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanley
1.0 km away
3.5 km away
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to Verdon Guest House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK