“An enchanting, peaceful, simple but charming getaway in the redwoods.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ripplewood Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ripplewood Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Sarasota, FL
“An enchanting, peaceful, simple but charming getaway in the redwoods.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I both felt right at home in this "resort" which is actually small cabins placed here and there, ours among the tall redwood trees. Ours was also right on a pleasant picturesque stream with private deck overlooking it, had a real fireplace with real wood to make a fire ( I made a dandy and kept some wood for the morning fire as well). No tv, no radio that I was aware of. Didn't need it. I got to actually read a little of the book I brought on our 11 day California trip, and Jeff sat on the deck enjoying the view or read magazines. We had the two bedroom, which gave us some space since we'd been driving for days, seeing National Parks and L.A. and San Francisco, so this was a delightful change of pace. Nicely appointed in a homey, comfortable way. Got cold toward morning but the heater worked fine. We LOVED it.

Room Tip: be by the water in the big trees if you love nature: it's a treat.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anniemax
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Big Sur is one of my most favorite places and I always stay at the Ripplewood. Its nothing fancy, simple cabins under the redwoods. But its a great way to relax . I like the cabins with a fireplace and on the river. The breakfast is great and try Deejans a few miles down the road for eggs benedict. Yummie.

Room Tip: I stayed in cabin 7 last time. It was nice but its getting close to the campgrounds across the river...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tob06
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stayed in Big Sur one time many, many, many years ago. I am happy to report that nothing has changed You get the feel of a big campground - homey, relaxed, and rustic. Ripplewood resort is just that. The funny little cabins are very basic, but clean and truly quiet. We stayed at another resort also in Big Sur, but Ripplewood was the best for the price. The single cabins ensure you don't have to listen to your neighbor. The fireplaces adn fire pits are great. I do highly recommend Ripplewood. I just goes along with the majestic scenery and the timeless feel of the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank MidwestMagpie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Pros: Location, Location, Location. Cabin #1 is at the end of the line across the street from the main shop. It was quiet and you could hear the Big Sur River that runs just behind the cabin. Wood burning fireplace provided comfortable relaxing atmosphere.

Cons: No luxury here. Just understand it is a cabin and you will be fine. If four people are staying everyone will know if one person moves around.

On our way up the coast, (noticing the path in my reviews?) Wife and I really wanted to stay in Big Sur. I called from Santa Barbara knowing everything was full my last check. Lucky for us they had a cancellation. The lady even gave me 15 minutes to consult with the wife and make sure I was not blowing our budget. It was the last and only spot available so we took it. Made it up in time to watch the sunset roadside, grab our firewood and relax. Food seemed more expensive but you could easily bring your own. It was a great spot and fun memory.

Room Tip: Cabin #1. The last one off the road. Nice and Quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rockadash
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

WE didn't stay at the resort but we ate twice at the Cafe. Dining in Big Sur can be pricey but we found the Ripplewood Cafe to be both reasonable and delicious. The first time we had the chicken burrito and chinese sesame chicken salad and both were high quality. The server, Jose, was fast, cordial and made sure we had whatever we asked for quickly and with a smile. The next day we had breakfast of fresh blueberry pancakes and above average french toast. Again, Jose provided great service. We'll definitely go there again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
0.9 km away
Big Sur River Inn
Big Sur River Inn
#2 of 2 in Big Sur

Been to Ripplewood Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK