Ripplewood Resort
US$ 1,441
US$ 1,687
SmithHotels.com
Bernardus Lodge & Spa(Carmel Valley)
US$ 461
US$ 428
Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
US$ 576
  • Breakfast included
Lucia Lodge(Big Sur)
All reviewsthe riverfire pitgas stationbooked cabinrustic cabingeneral storecooking utensilsfully equipped kitchennice deckthese cabinstall redwoodscoffee makertwo nightsqueen bedstayed here for one nightsan franciscothe pacific coast highway
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This is our second time here. Last time was just a single night in Cabin 4 (all we could get, we did not plan ahead). This time we booked well in advance and got Cabin 8 for 3 nights (12/24 - 12/26). On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being high I'd give it a 9.

What we really liked: beds were great, very clean, firewood every night, kitchen has all that you really need, and the bathroom was great with much nicer towels than I remembered. Sheets were also nice. We ate breakfast at the Ripplewood Cafe twice and both times the food and service were excellent. The store was great and we ended up buying some extra Fire Logs and wine there. Wine selection was awesome and meant we did not have to drive.

What we didn't like: Cabin 8 is as close as I would go north due to the noise/issues from the campground across the river. I personally would never stay at Cabins 9 or 1. Just MHO. And this was at Christmas when we didn't expect that many folks to be there. Several times we found other people staying at the Ripplewood cabins down by the river like us would walk very close to our cabin. We're outside at the fire pit and some folks with a baby stroller walked about 5' away from us and sort of invaded our privacy. This is not an issue from the resort, but the issue of people not respecting our privacy. People (like us) go there to get away from it all. I can't imagine walking up to anyone else's cabin especially if their car is in front of the cabin.

Suggested improvements: Put some sort of automatic timer on the heater at the cafe. We ate there twice and it was really cold in there. The first morning it was Christmas (and we were glad they were open!) and they opened at 9. We came at 9 as we were hungry. Glad we wore our down coats and we're from Colorado. The next day the cafe opened at 8. We came at 9. It was still pretty darn cold. Can't you just put some sort of thermostat with a timer to warm the place up a bit? We were two adults but another couple with kids came in and left because it was too cold for their infant. Lost business. No biggie, just a suggestion.

I just got off the phone booking a cabin for FOUR days for next Christmas. We really enjoyed our time there because there is no phone, no tv, no anything. We went "cold turkey" off the grid and loved it. There is enough to do in the area to keep us busy for a week.

Tip: Book in advance if you can.

Room Tip: Cabins 2-8 best. Get a fireplace cabin if you can as it's neat and they provide wood every evening.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alistair_MacLean
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We spent our Christmas holiday at Ripplewood resort and had a great time! The cabins are clean, comfy, and we did not have trouble at all with our heating - in fact it generally got pretty toasty in our cabin fast so we would shut it off after 15 min. As others have stated, the cabins are sparse, lacking a t.v. but we knew that coming in and that definitely was part of the charm for us. The location is perfect to get to some of the hiking in the area and also close to some of the best dining in Big Sur (the Big Sur Bakery is located nearby and awesome!) Additionally, while we were here a little family of deer situated itself behind our cabin which was really lovely to see. I would recommend this place and if we're ever back in Big Sur, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin 17 which is on hwy 1. The best was very comfy and we hardly heard any of the traffic from the hwy.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2011

When we first arrived I was disappointed with our cabin, but I have to admit that I was sad to leave after a few nights. The cabins are sparse and dark with no televisions, however, they also have a nice historical feel which makes for an interesting trip. What makes this place great is the low price (for the Big Sur, which is a pricey area in general) and the peaceful redwoods. It's a retreat from the familiar. I would consider staying somewhere else in the Big Sur, but also enjoyed my time here.

Room Tip: Avoid the cabins near Highway 1 if possible. Make sure to ask for a cabin near the river.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Ripplewood. Cabin 17 was clean, comfortable and affordable. The staff was friendly and helpful. If we can return for a longer stay we would choose a cabin with a kitchen near the river but for 1 day this was perfect and breakfast was quite good. Near so much to see and do!

Room Tip: Cabins near river quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MVSunshine
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My husband and I stayed in cabin 2.

When we checked in I asked about the heating options based on previous reviews and was told curtly "there is a heater." No space heater was mentioned or offered. It was in the low 40s outside and we were unable to get our cabin above 62 degrees even with the heater set at maximum. I found this to be very uncomfortable, though the extra blankets provided were useful. I know it is a cabin, but I was looking to be able to have heating when I chose to pay $176 for the night instead of camping.

With that said, the cabin was cute and more than I expected based on the photos. Very clean, comfortable bed. Shower was tiny! The scenery on the river was lovely and the fire pit was a major plus. Breakfast was good and inexpensive especially by big sur standards.

Overall, if the heating had worked better this would have been a 5 star review, but being cold all night brings it to a 3.5 stars for me. Probably this isn't an issue in the summer!

• Stayed: December 2011