27 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.com$462
Autograph$462
Travelocity$462
7,021 results
All reviews diamond club dorado restaurant tex mex hunter steakhouse royalton riviera cancun sports bar gourmet marche ocean view rooftop jacuzzi el dorado butler service zen restaurant beach butler caribbean grill dinner reservations presidential suite room key
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 March 2016

The overall experience was excellent. Friendly and attentive staff. No pressure to do anything if you just say no. room was nice. We stayed in the Hideaway section and enjoyed every day. We snorkeled and utilized the spa. Both were positive experiences. The food was good. the steakhouse was probably my least favorite, but all in all a great new resort with high quality finishes.

The negative...the concrete was in rough shape throughout. The property was constructed apparently very quickly and there were settling issues and poorly planned transitions. Stairs were uneven. Just be prepared.

Not a big negative when you think about how lively and active the hotel is with live music and good entertainment options. Good for active people.

Room tip: Ocean view.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Jorge F, Director General at Hideaway at Royalton Riviera Cancun, An Autograph Collection All-Inclusive Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2016

Dear tyler201603
We thank you for your positive review of our resort and we are very glad you enjoyed your stay at Royalton. Our main focus is geared towards making our customers as happy and as comfortable as possible. We hope to have the privilege of having you as a guest in the near future.

Reviewed 3 March 2016

Me and my mother stayed at the Hideaway for a week in January 2016. The hotel in itself is fantastic, the food is excellent and the staff is friendly.
However, we chose - and paid extra - to stay at the Hideaway part of the hotel because it's an "adult only" area, and since my mother was recovering from surgery we wanted to relax and have a more quiet time. The hotel website describes it as a "tranquil property". Well, it wasn't. Drunk guests hollered in the pool, yelled profanities to other guests who asked them to take it down a notch, and they made it impossible to stay at the balcony in the afternoon. I called the concierge three times and they did nothing, and this was repeated almost every afternoon.

On our last night, 8-10 people sat in a jacuzzi close to our balcony and they were incredibly loud, they screamed out loud like children, and played music from their own media player. I got really annoyed so I went down to ask them to lower the volume, and on my way I met a few male staff so I asked them for help. They just looked at me, didn't even answer. So I walked up to the group myself and asked them to PLEASE lower the volume, and as a result they shouted profanities.

I was really upset and walked all the way to the concierge room in the main building to make my complaint there, while my mother stayed at the balcony to see what would happen. I talked to the concierge staff who sent security to clear the jaccuzzi, and I stayed a while to talk to them. Just when I was heading back, my mother sent me a video taken from the balcony, showing the drunkards yelling and cursing, screaming threats and "where is she!?". That would be me. I showed the video to the staff and they had security follow me back to my room.

It was a sad ending on a not-so-tranquil week, but I was assured that the General manager would contact me and we would "work something out". It's now been almost 6 weeks, and not a word...

So, maybe I can recommend the Royalton Hotel in general, but do NOT pay extra to stay at the Hideaway. The management's obvious lack of care when their guests are disturbed and threatened is what remains in our minds after the vacation.

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank 386camillaj
Jorge F, Director General at Hideaway at Royalton Riviera Cancun, An Autograph Collection All-Inclusive Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2016

Dear Camilla J
Please accept my apologies once again for not being able to meet your expectations; the most important for us is to ensure that you, as our guest, receive everything you are looking for in much needed vacation.
We are grateful for your comments about friendly service received upon arrival to Hideaway at Royalton and during your stay with us.

Reviewed 2 March 2016

Went Feb 26th 2016 to the 29th! Just got home yesterday from this wonderful resort! Here are the pros: The Staff was the friendliest, sweetest staff ever!!! Loved George by the pool and beach waiting on us hand and foot, Jeffery was hilarious and sweet as pie, Brana out at the martini bar was super sweet and friendly! Everyone had a smile and super helpful!! Everything you need is at the resort. Drinks amazing! Food really good, wait staff superior! Pools so nice! Rooms great! loved the beach too!
Cons: waited 2 hrs for our room, but loved it!!!, Portions of food at restaurants are small but then again you can order as much as you want., Then need to have some appetizers at the adult inclusive area, like chips, salsa and guac., The disco is fun but smells bad. Also the buffet area has a smell to it as well. But basically the trip was amazing, hotel is beautiful and HUGE!!! Will go again!!!! Thanks Hideway!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank amymhessian
Jorge F, Director General at Hideaway at Royalton Riviera Cancun, An Autograph Collection All-Inclusive Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2016

Dear amy m
Thank you so much for your comment, it is always wonderful to read positive comments like yours. Your opinion is very valuable and we will be sure to show it to our staff. We hope to welcome you again at Royalton.

Reviewed 29 February 2016

I have never written a review before. I've never felt compelled, but I do this time. My friend and I booked a girls trip and the Royalton Riviera Cancun was one of the recommendations from the travel agent. My friend wanted to try Mexico so we booked it. We booked the Hideaway (adults only) and booked as Diamond Club members. We were sold on the idea of having "special" treatment, a butler to make reservations for us and help us and having specified areas for Diamond Club members. It was pretty immediately apparent that we were not going to get what we expected. First, as Diamond Club members we were not supposed to have to wait for our room, however, when we arrived we were checked in and informed that our room was not ready. That was ok - we were hungry after an early flight. Unfortunately, we were not given any real directions to anyplace to eat - and this place is HUGE! We finally found the buffet. Lots of choices - frankly, the buffet was too big. We found that the food was often soggy and not fresh - likely because there were simply too many choices and the food was not turned over regularly enough. After eating and relaxing for a few, we went back to the Diamond Club lounge and we were ultimately escorted to our room. The view was fantastic, but the room had only one bed! I appreciate that there are lots of different kinds of couples in the world, but this was a FRIEND trip, not a lover's trip. Two grown women in their 40s who are neither intimate nor related should not have to sleep in the same bed when paying this amount of money for a vacation. It was NOT acceptable. we immediately returned to the Diamond Lounge for an acceptable room assignment and we were told over the course of the next hour or so that the hotel was fully booked and we would not be given a new room until maybe the following day. The only solutions we were offered were to sleep together or to sleep on a rollaway bed. Again - I am a grown woman and should not have to sleep on a rollaway bed when I am paying a couple thousand dollars for a vacation. I did it for one night, however, since I had no option and thankfully after making such a stink and calling the travel agent in the US, we were moved the next day. Needless to say, this was a horrible start to our time at the Royalton and it wasted the better part of two entire days. We weren't even offered anything for the screw-up... not a discount at the spa, not a bottle of wine from the wine list (not included in the resort), not even careful attention for the rest of the week. Shameful. We met one of our "butlers" Ruben the day we were moved. he was supposed to make our reservations for the week and took notes on where we wanted to eat and when. He only made us two reservations all week and that was only because again, I was forced to hound him. We only ever even saw our second "butler" Elizabeth twice because we walked into the lounge and she was there. I asked her on Saturday if there was somewhere I could attend Mass on Sunday - I never heard back from her...she looked at me like I was nuts asking for a Catholic Mass in a predominantly Catholic country! We only got turn down service and towels when we called to complain and never got either the pillow service or the aromatherapy we were supposed to get. The resort was lovely (but again, it was REALLY big), the sunshine was great and the Diamond Club pool/pool bar area was perfect. We really only accidentally stumbled on it since again, we were never told where the Diamond Club areas were. the pool service was generally non-existent but at the end of the day, the pool bar was right there, so it was no problem getting my own drinks through the day. Abraham at the Chill Bar was FANTASTIC - a real highlight to our trip. The other highlights were our waiter Uber at the Dorado, the food at Opa, and the bartender - Jaimie - at the Hideaway bar at night. We had no idea for several days that there were shows in the main part of the resort and therefore, generally missed them. We certainly didn't go hungry but the food at this resort was second only to the resort the very first time I ever went to the Dominican Republic in 2002 and was at the bottom of the price points because I was young and broke. Disappointing, really. In the end, we were probably very lucky. In meeting and talking to people, we heard a lot of bad experiences. One extended family traveling from Iowa got a call from the resort when they were changing planes in Chicago telling them the resort was overbooked and not to come...clearly, they arrived and the resort was forced to make arrangements. If they are too large to properly track and meet obligations then either they need new management or they need to downsize. I have friends who stayed at a Royalton in the Dominican and loved their experience. I won't blame the entire Royalton corporation but clearly, this location is poorly managed and I will never return to a resort in this chain - burn me once and never get my business again. I can confidently say that Jamaica will return as my destination of choice for my annual holiday.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
12  Thank CeCeASA

Dear CeCeASA
Thank you for selecting the Hideaway at Royalton. I am sorry to read your comment and finding out that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. As we strive to make every guest feel special. I would be thankful if you could contact us.
We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Hideaway at Royalton in order to make your stay a more memorable one.

Reviewed 29 February 2016

We stayed at the Hideaway the beginning of February. The room was fantastic we stayed in the Diamond club rooms. The reservation service was great we never waited in line to eat. Other than that I didn't see much of a difference of the Diamond club. The beach was always clean and plenty of chairs available there and at the pool. All the food was great. If you go to the Italian restaurant make sure to wear bug spray. The Dips bar on the Royalton side had the best bar tenders Herbar and Josue were the best. They remembered what we drank after our first order, our drinks were always full and they were tons of fun. Always had a new shot or drink they would bring us. Even when we were not at their bar and watching the entertainment they would check on us. Definitely above and beyond the normal service from those two!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank 769nikkip
Jorge F, Director General at Hideaway at Royalton Riviera Cancun, An Autograph Collection All-Inclusive Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2016

Dear Nikki P
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Royalton and it pleases us to know that our staff were able to make your dream holiday come true. We constantly encourage our staff to improve day after day and be detail oriented in order to always give the best experience possible for our guests. Your comment will motivate our staff since we have a special incentive program. We hope to welcome you during your next holiday.