“Exceeded My High Expectations”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Villa XaAn

Main Bedroom Bath
Laundry Room
Pool Bath
Pool Bath
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
preziam
Pennsylvania
“Exceeded My High Expectations”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

The first thing I will start with is everything you have read here is true! This place is that nice and Rick is that helpful. The pictures don't lie and if anything are understated. I noticed on another reviewers pic's that the walls were looking dirty. No worries, Rick had them all repainted and they looked bright and amazing. We were a family of 4 with a 12 and a 14 year old. While we have been to the area many times before all of our prior visits were in resorts. We didn't miss it. We would still return to a resort but we really liked this too. Here are some things I was unclear on before our trip that I will clarify:

1) The water system is not the fridge filter. The fridge line is fed by a pump with full size water jugs for ice and drinking. The system is fantastic.
2) There is a house phone that can be used no charge for calls to the US (not sure for others).
3) Rick gives you a local cell phone with a lot of useful numbers loaded.
4) There is a nice MAC workstation and wireless printer.
5) There is a washer and dryer (picture only shows washer).
6) There is a true outside shower.
7) The outside bathroom is really nice and is its own room. We thought it was part of the laundry room.
8) Rick provides full bottles of soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotions for all bathrooms,
9) Rick provides all of your paper towels and toilet paper.
10) Rick provides dish cleaning (hand or dishwasher) and laundry detergent.
11) Rick provides basic kitchen needs like coffee, sugar, sweet and low, spices, and trash bags.
12) There are many appliances like juicers, 1 cup or pot coffee, blender, and any kind of utensil, pot or pan you could need.

I have never rented a home in PM before but I have rented many. None have ever provided even close to this much and I did not mention the stuff I know he lists.

Staying in La Colonia is really cool too. Food is so cheap and so good! Tons of places for groceries if you want to cook but we never did. Tacos for 10 pesos or less, qdillas for 13 or 15 pesos, sopas for 15 pesos, whole barb chickens for 80 or 90 pesos with a stack of tortillas, bag of rice, bag of beans, and bags of salsa. One night the kids wanted pizza and we got two for 1 and it was 80 pesos. A bag with like 10 churos for 25 pesos. All of it was delicious and better than meals I paid a lot more for. There was nice fruit market we hit and there is a meat market and a true butcher close by. There is a bakery with great doughnuts close by too but funny hours there. There is a seafood market we never went in but it is close.

We felt 100% safe walking all over as well as in the villa. The villa is actually a compound. 10ft walls with a 3ft electric fence on top surround the entire unit. The villa also has a video door bell system and steel doors. Knowing it was all there felt good but I never felt concerned anyway. The street Rick's house is on is very nice and in the villas section. People were kind to us everywhere. You could get to a taxi stand easily, call one from Rick's cell or just walk out a short way and flag one down if you wanted to go to town. 25 pesos each way. You can take the collectivo for 5 pesos but with 4 people it didn't make sense.

Our first few days we ate in restaurants over on the beach side at least once a day. After that, we just ate at the house meals purchased in La Colonia. It was awesome! There are two sit down restaurants very close to the villa. Cafe Fonda Americana (ate there once) and La Luna something (never ate there but would have). Closer to the La Colonia square (10 minute walk) there are more sit down places but we didn't get to any.

As stated by all Rick will do anything for you. He takes so much pride in keeping things at his villa perfect. He is former manager for the Karisma resort chain so he gets service. He is always looking for ways to improve although I am not sure there is much room to.

I cant imaging there is a better home to rent on this side of town. For anyone concerned we paid Rick 100% of the money 4 months in advance via Paypal. I would do it again in a minute.

I would be happy to answer any questions about the villa or area if you want to PM me. You can find me on the PM forum page on the right under PREZIAM. I am a destination expert for Puerto Morelos. I learned a whole lot more this trip. Go and have fun.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The Villa
Liked least: WIFI at the pool is sketchy
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
WI
Reviewed 11 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014

People with disabilities Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers
Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014
person found this review helpful

People with disabilities Older travelers
Luxury-minded travelers
NY
Reviewed 4 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014

A romantic getaway Rugged travelers
Carson M
Portland, Oregon
“Rick Fernandez and Villa Xa'an exceeded my expectations in every way”
Reviewed 28 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014
people found this review helpful

I just returned from a week long stay in Puerto Morelos where my friends and I stayed in Villa Xa'an. The owner and caretaker of the property, Rick Fernandez, really did exceed our expectations in every way. He is a fabulous host and took such good care of us while we were there.

Before our arrival Rick asked if we would like any groceries or supplies in the house and we were welcomed with a chilled bottle of wine, a refrigerator full of goodies, and all we needed for poolside margaritas for the week . Rick was at the house every morning to skim the pool and clean and water the beautiful yard. He was also always available for questions and helpful travel information. RIck even took the time to investigate bicycle rentals for us before we came and went so far as to visit the bike rental facility to make sure it was safe and reputable before recommending it. Rick also arranged for us to be picked up from the airport and returned safely at the end of our trip.

The house was beautiful, clean, comfortable, and equipped with any and every convenience we could have asked for including a VIOS phone for local calls, a computer and printer, internet access, a flat screen TV with Netflix, a kitchen stocked with appliances and utensils, and even hair dryers! We always had clean towels and purified water (and ice!). All this, and I haven't even mentioned how fabulous the pool was.

We all had a wonderful vacation in Puerto Morelos and we owe so much of that to Rick's hospitality and professionalism. The moment we left, my friends and I were already planning our trip for next year. I wholeheartedly would recommend Puerto Morelos and especially Villa Xa'an to any of my friends. Thanks Rick!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The pool and Rick
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing