“Best Food in Puerto Morelos!”
Review of La Petita

La Petita
Ranked #44 of 138 Restaurants in Puerto Morelos
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours
Victoria, Canada
“Best Food in Puerto Morelos!”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We were recommended this place by our snorkeling guide, Luz Maria, from Buceo Xtabay. We went there and had the fried hogfish..... oh my GOSH. It was SO GOOODDD. I miss it so much. Delicious, delicious, delicious!!! And right on the beach!! Waiter was real friendly too, and very helpful with my food allergy restrictions. Everyone that goes to Puerto Morelos must eat here. Soooo good. The only thing is, I believe it is called 'La Playita' now.....

• Visited January 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Tyaskin
“Real Local Seafood, Great Value”
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Again, this review Is for La Playita, on the beach. A bunch of us went there following a snorkeling trip. After eating at all the "Americanized" restaurants in Cancun, this was a real surprise, with local seafood and a "local" atmosphere. We went there for lunch and had a ball. The seafood was outstanding. You can even pick your whole fish from a cooler and they weigh it ( my fish was about $10 and there was enought for two of us). The fish ( a red hogfish) was absolutely the best fish I have ever eaten ( and I live on the Chesapeake Bay and have access to all kinds of fresh seafood). They quick fry it (without a batter). It was fantastic. At lunch, I noticed many of the locals also having the fish. Get there early, since when the fish is gone, it's gone. Yes the atmosphere is a bit funky ( plastic chairs, bear lights) but eating on the sand floor was an enjoyable treat.
Others in the group had the filet and they enjoyed it very much and the harpist was an unexpected addition.
One caution: make sure you pay in pesos. The do not take credit cards and the exchange rate was 11 pesos per US dollar, while in the resort areas it was about 13 pesos per dollar.
All in all, a wonderful "local" place to eat, especially if you enjoy fish.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Boatini
des moines
“Mixed Seafood Cocktail”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Everything is excellent but the mixed seafood cocktail takes it to a new level of GOOD! Shrimp, octopus, conch--like all good cockteles mixtos should have. But on the bottom of the glass are oysters and they are soooo good.
I used to go to La Suegra (Now Merkadita) for this dish but this is even better. A medium is 100 pesos and I never attempted the large.
The Shrimp Veracruzana was delicious but they left the peels on so it was a little messy to eat. I'd tell them to take them off if I ordered this again. The boquinete was fresh and served whole--the waiters showed me a ten pounder that just came in--biggest one I've ever seen. The bathrooms were spotlessly clean--we went 3 times in one week--always in the afternoon after swimming on the way back to the hotel. YUM!

• Visited December 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Fresh fish vs harsh atmo”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

As a previous reviewer mentioned people are confusing this restaurant with La Playita which is on the beach. La Petita is across the street not on the beach. You walk down the stairs past the cooler with fresh fish. Large place, sand floor, palapa roof, plastic chairs. I wouldn’t get the fried whole fish again, the filet fish was good. We promised ourselves after this visit to just say no to restaurants with bare light bulbs for our nightly dinners. It is just to harsh.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank centerseat
Clarendon Hills, Illinois
“Worth the walk”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Seems like you can't keep the same name on your restaurant if it changes location. So head north a block from the square on the street nearest the beach to La Playida (Playita?).
We sat on the beach under the tent for lunch and had some great fried fish. The hogfish was excellent, cooked like it should be, unlike some overcooked fish we had in PDC. Service was good; ceviche was good; hogfish was excellent. Shrimp was only so-so, stick w/ the fish. Wife and daughter rated the marguarita's the best in PM. Beer drinkers have the pleasure of Bohemia Escara (sp. ? dark). Nice and cold and it might have been a little better than the Negra Modelo I was drinking all week.
We enjoyed a little entertainment as a harpist/vocalist circulated the tables. We asked for some 'fiesta' music after he had suggested 'romantic' and I think he had as much fun crankin' out some party music as we did listening. My only suggestion would be to knock down some of the sand impeding your view of the beach, but I don't know how practical that would be and it did provide a bit of privacy that some might prefer.
Overall, a great value