All reviews pohara beach cooking equipment garden unit separate bedroom relaxing stay would definitely stay here again beautiful spot the kitchen stayed longer early january cape farewell stayed for nights tata beach short drive units sea takaka
Reviewed 22 January 2018

We stayed in a studio unit for 4 nights in early January.
The unit was quite small but had absolutely everything you needed for a casual break away.
The kitchen was clean and well stocked with cooking equipment.
There was a choice of an indoor table, a table on the deck outside the unit or a table and umbrella in front of the unit to sit, eat, read a book or whatever you chose to do.
Only 1 min from the beach (which was visible from the unit) so ideal for a walk or swim several times a day.

Room Tip: Cars zoom round bend behind Unit 9 so can be noisy
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2017

I went to the front desk at least 10 times looking for help, and EVERY. SINGLE.TIME. no one could be found. At one point, I finally called the hotel mainline to get help. I had a tire blowout and wanted their help in finding a repair shop. The front desk told me I wouldn't get help as it was a weekend. They REFUSED to call (or give me contact info for) any mechanics to see IF they might be willing to help with my tire.

When I asked for dining recommendations, they sent me to the Penguin Cafe, claiming it was the best food and where ALL of the locals hang out. In fact, the quality was worse than anywhere else nearby, it was completely dead, with NO ONE inside, and the service was unfriendly...which is notable in a country where everyone is friendly. It was clearly a recommendation of nepotism.

The room itself had carpet burns, with a cheap cut out of carpet placed above, hoping you wouldn't notice. They didn't offer any shampoo or conditioner. The shower was so tiny that I could hardly fit, and I'm a petite/average sized woman. The walls are so thin that I could hear my neighbors cutting logs all night. There was ZERO wifi even though it was claimed to be free and included.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Pohara-Motel, Manager at Pohara Beachfront Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

Hello there,
I would just like to take the time to clarify a few things.
- Our office is open from 9am till 8pm and if no one is in the office during that time we are contactable 24hrs a day either by the buzzer in the office, the phone outside the office or the in room phone.
- We go out of our way to help all of our guests and make their stay as enjoyable as possible. I personally went to great lengths to find someone to fix the tire but had no luck as everyone was closed for the weekend.
- We do supply wifi to all of our units and am unsure as to why this could not be accessed.
- I do have to apologize for the carpet burns caused by a previous guest, however carpet replacement at this time in the season just isn't possible.
- Sorry that you were less than happy with your dining experience, We have only received positive comments from guests on all the restaurants in Pohara.
Many thanks,
Pete

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed overnight after a day exploring the region. Garden unit was nicely appointed and very well presented.

Lots to do and see in the area.

Great outdoor BBQ area which would've used but for the weather

Recommended

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Pohara-Motel, Manager at Pohara Beachfront Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2017

Thanks for the lovely review

Reviewed 30 October 2017

This was a perfect spot for a one night stop on the way from Murchison to Cape Farewell. Seaview room was smallish, but clean and tidy. A short drive to Takaka for provisions with a couple of local dining options less than a kilometre away. Can only imagine the influx during peak season. Would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

We had number 10 motel and sat watching the sea while we relaxed in a most comfortable settee. Walking in was so special. Warm, super clean and so close to the beautiful beach. Our reason for coming was to relax and be close to the water and we had it all.

Room Tip: If you would like to see the sea ask for unit 10 or 11 as they are the closest but all others great as we have been in others
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Pohara-Motel, Manager at Pohara Beachfront Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, we are glad you enjoyed your stay.