“Friendliest Spot In NY”

Jonathan's Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 October 2016

We came in with over 20 people for brunch on short notice following our son's wedding. The staff could not have been warmer or more accommodating. The brunch selections were outstanding - so were the mimosas and bloody marys! We had a difficult time deciding what to order because everything sounded so amazing. Nothing ordered was disappointing. Loved that there were lots of veggies included in the omelets, frittatas and benedicts. The crab cake benedict skipped the English muffins and were not overly sauced. The potato cakes are delicious! No one was dissatisfied! Wonderful spot for a party too.

Date of visit: October 2016

Reviewed 20 August 2016

When we don't know where to go, when we want a general American menu, we fall into Jonathan's. The food is generally good, salads are nice, lamb chops are delicious and always tender, burgers are good. This time I took advantage of their lobster special. Never happened to me before but I ended up with a bad case of hives. Sudden allergy to lobster? Something they used on the lobster? I have no idea. Lots of others were also eating lobster. Guess it's just me. I will go back but I'll never have their lobster again!!!

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

This restaurant is beautiful but it would s totally overpriced! The food is good but I wouldn't say exceptional not for the price! Their pork chops are good and the surroundings of the restaurant is beautiful but the prices belong in NYC not New Hyde Park, NY!

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 1 August 2016

We were a party of 8 so I requested a table in the bar area, I thought it would be more intimate since the main dining room sounds like a school cafeteria, it is extremely loud and very crowded. What a mistake that was! The service was horrendous and the waiter was extremely rude. I should have known better, the last time I was there I experienced extremely slow service as well. I just thought it was an off night. Boy was I wrong; our waiter couldn't be bothered, he gave us menus and never came back. When I signaled for him to come over, he nodded and then proceeded to make a round of drinks, serve them to the table beside us, go back to the bar, busy himself with what looked like nothing, and then sauntered over to our table, I said to him, boy you sure took your time. We had a few questions on the appetizers, which seemed to annoy him, we ordered a few and my cousin ordered a bowl of French onion soup with NO CHEESE, about 30 minutes later we get our apps and the soup had no cheese but did have a piece of bread floating on top with cheese on it, so my cousin said, I asked for no cheese, the waiter rudely said to him "Is it because you have an allergy or is it because you just don't like it?" and then rolled his eyes at him! What nerve! It took forever to get our main courses, one of which came 15 to 20 minutes after everyone else’s, must have been forgotten. I should also mention that the food was subpar, dry and under seasoned. After that, we never saw our waiter again. We had a bottle of wine and would have liked another one, there were no refills on our water or bread, dirty dishes remained on the table. We were totally ignored. My sister got up to ask the Maitre’d to summons since we haven’t seen him in quite a while, and all of our sudden, our waiter came running over and said that one of the guests was still eating that's why he didn't come over. He had no idea that she wasn't done until he was summoned, he disappeared from the bar area, a convenient excuse. No apologies were made, we weren't even asked if we wanted dessert, he sent over the bartender with our check - he was very smart not to include a customary 20% tip to our bill since we were a party of 8. He was lucky we gave him the 10% that we did. When I told the matire’d how disappointed we were in the service, instead of apologizing, he actually defended the waiter’s actions by saying he was surprised, the waiter was usually not like that. What are you implying that his poor performance was just our imaginations? I said that he could’ve made it right by offering a round of coffee on the house or maybe an after dinner drink and he said, “He’s not authorized to do that!” I said no, but you are. If management cannot differentiate between good and bad customer service, than that speaks volumes, and I will no longer patronize this establishment. It’s a shame really, I live in the area and have been there so many times over the years, food and service are the reason you frequent an establishment, if both fail, then it’s time to move on.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank Jo C
Reviewed 22 July 2016 via mobile

We went with a group of 14 people and they were so accommodating. They took a reservation on saturday night which was a huge problem I was having with area restaurants. The decor was very nice. It was sophisticated and elegant. The only thing I was not thrilled with was the prices were a tad high and the portion was bit of the smaller side for a restaurant. The dessert menu did have a wide variety. The dinner menu also was pretty wide. It went from burgers to paella. Everyone liked their choices and I didn't hear any complaints. Always a plus for that many people in one spot.

Date of visit: July 2016