“Holiday Goa”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Palolem
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Holiday Goa”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Have just returned from a holiday in Goa at dream catchers.We thought that the bungalows were in a lovely setting with lots of lovely plants around and the river view bungalow was secluded.
The bungalows are quite basic,as are all the bungalows in Palolem. But when we got used to them we really enjoyed our stay there.
The bungalows have hot water for the showers and are clean, if you want extra cleaning this was done every other day at no extra cost with clean sheets and towels provided.
We found that the staff were really helpful and Harry our manager sorted out any little issues we had immediately.
The laundry service was really cheap and I enjoyed using the spa facilities .
The beach is lovely and clean and it is so cheap to live in Palolem and there are some relly good resturants to eat at in the evening.
The restaurants provide you with sun beds, if you eat and drink at their place during the day which I thought was a really good deal.

Room Tip: River veiw was a nice room with a view of the river
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank nestcottage
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Carlisle, Cumbria
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I have to say that this was the place to go to totally chill out after experiencing the mayhem of N. India!! the hut that we booked was spotless - but I have to say - very basic! but the hotel was well run, and the location was perfect - just a stroll to the beach!! management were more than helpful, and not intrusive, but there if you needed them. The restaurant was lovely, with staff that were just wonderful - especially Khan - he was our waiter, and just a delight! I would certainly go back again, when back in Goa.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Just back from 4 nights at Dream Catcher. (23rd - 26th February).

We stayed in a [more expensive] class E cottage, priced at 3000 (£40) rupees a night during the high season. Important to note that 10% also gets added to that figure. 'Tax' I was told.

You will find a list of tariffs & descriptions here: http://➜.ws/Ow

Dream Catcher is a 5 min walk (up the coast) from where most people enter the north end of the beach. Although not on the beach itself, the Dreamcatcher cottages (there are about 50 of them) are in a great spot. Far enough away from the beach to feel safe/peaceful but close enough to be sunbathing within minutes of waking up.

We stayed in a cottage facing on to the lagoon and close to the restaurant/bar. (Number 3 was ours). Not a breathtaking view from the cottage itself, but reasonably private and certainly no one to disturb you as you sit on the porch.

A mozzie net was provided over the bed, and was in a good state, as were the 2 towels left out for us. The double bed was comfortable, and the ceiling fan worked well, if a little loud!.

No Mozzie coils were left out so make sure you bring some. There wasn't much of a breeze during our stay (protection of the palm trees & cottages, I guess) so mosquitos could definitely be an annoyance to you...we got some pretty big bites.

Major gripe:

Hot water is advertised but we didn't get any. There must have been some getting in to the shower system, as the water coming out of it was hotter than the cold tap running out of the sink, but to advertise a "hot shower" is certainly a bit of a stretch. You might think you won't want/need any hot showers, but my fiancee and I did and we certainly felt that we'd paid for it. So for hot water not to be there (and for the staff not to really care when I told them about the lack of it) was a bit frustrating. After all, 3300 rupees a night, is expensive for Goan accommodation.

The food in the restaurant was good but we only ever had coffee/breakfast/lunch or an evening drink there as we wanted to enjoy the sounds and atmos of the beach at night (if you want to eat somewhere nice, then you must must must go to DROPPIDIS - it is right by the beach entrance, a 5-7 min walk from Dreamcatcher - and if you do go there you should try the Seafood Massala, it is the best sea food dish I have ever had). AMAZING.

The setting of the restaurant at Dream Catcher is great tho, right by the lagoon and wonderfully lit up with a huge number of lightbulbs hanging off the trees, it's pretty idillic to be honest. They play music from a computer (lots of Adele when we there there) and you can even get WIFI if you sit near the bar. You will be very happy sitting there gaving a Kingfisher (100 rupees for a large one) while your girlfriend/fiancee/wife spends forever getting ready.

Other things:

Don't expect the cleaning staff to come in and clean your cottage during the day, unless you go and give them the key. The lock on the door they give you is pretty sturdy but you should go and drop your valuables at reception where they can provide you with a locker (take your own padlock if you wanna be extra cautious).

It's a noisy place int he mornings, mainly due to the cottages not being fully sealed up buildings (i.e the roof is not flush to the walls, so you hear everything happening right outside.) The birds (crows) are noisy as hell and will almost certainly wake you up in the morning.

WIFI is free, but it's not amazing. It might let you post a facebook/twitter status, or let you check your emails but don't expect to stream anything! You don't get it everywhere so you have to pick where you sit tactically. I could sometimes get one bar of wireless in my cottage, but often that just disappeared.

Be careful of falling coconuts. It sounds funny, but they're bloody dangerous, and Dreamcatcher is teaming with Palm trees...ready to dispatch a nut on your head at any moment. To be fair, the grounds staff were harvesting them when we were, partly to use them but also for safety I guess, which was good.

There is a great little book swap shelf at reception, so don't take hundred of books, I took one and left one & that was perfect.

The bathroom layout is pretty poor, with the sink far too close to the wall and shower, and that coupled with the lack of hot water makes for a fairly poor bathroom experience.

They do yoga, massages and ayurvedic treatments at Dreamcatcher, so there's plenty of hippy stuff to do if you're not in to partying. I preffered to sip beer while the missus went for a massage.

What more can I say? 8/10 overall.

Why? Too expensive for what it was (relative to GOA prices) and just not quite clean and shiny enough in our cottage for it to be truly relaxing.

But it was very special place in its way. The staff in the restaurant/bar were friendly, helpful and always there and you won't tire of the setting.

Go there but don't go top end (of the cottages) and end up paying too much.

Don't go there thinking you're gonna have a 4 or 5 star experience. Beautiful tho it is, it is not a hotel, it is still just a beach resort. Wooden cottages under palm trees.

I'm giving it a 'very good' because of the setting and the feel of the place as much as anything.

There may be better in Palolem but you won't be disappointed as you sit there having a beer, not-quite-clean, listening to adele, being bitten by mozzies waiting for your woman to finish doing her make-up. Dreamcatcher has a good heart, and that goes a long way.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Thomas G
Rochford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

The location of Dreamcatcher is lovely...on the river and just set back from the Beach and peaceful. The huts are basic but clean and colourful. We would have stayed longer here but the manager was very off-hand with us most days...he would have the odd day when he would say hello and smile but most days he was offhand and rude. Maybe we caught him at the bad time, but its not really the way to treat paying customers. A shame as otherwise a great place. The yoga class at dreamcatcher is excellent though and well worth getting up in the mornings to go to. Wendy is a great teacher and even though we moved to other accommodation on Palolem I still went back to Dreamcatcher every morning for the yoga.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lynn J
Vancouver
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Let me begin by saying that the hotel itself is quite nice, with a great atmosphere, clean cottages, and a peaceful location. Had it not been for the management we would likely have scored this place as Very Good.
We have travelled in India several times both in the North and the South and have stayed in all types of accomodation, from 500 INR backpacker places to the ITC chain of luxury hotels (15000 INR) and this is the only hotel we stayed in where I felt like the Manager out and out tried to scam us.
In some cases we book hotels in advance when we are arriving late or want to stay somewhere specific. In this case we had booked and pre-paid for 3 nights accomodation at Dreamcatcher. They used Pay Pal and we were billed in GBP for the room. We emailed the accomodation a few days before arrival to state that we would likely be staying 4 days and not 3 and that we would arrive sometime around 9:30 in the evening.
When we arrived the first question was which room did you book. My answer was simply that we had pre-paid X number of GBP for 3 nights but that I couldn't remember which precise type of cottage we had book. Given the time of year (around Xmas in Goa) we had booked about 8 weeks in advance and all I knew is that we had paid for one of the nicer cottages with attached bath and private balcony.
He tooks us to show us 3 cottages by the water that fit the description and proceeded to tell us that these went for 3300 INR to 3800 INR. This seemed a bit pricey to me but given the time of year and the fact that Palolem has few accomodations in this range I resigned myself to the fact that we were likely booked somewhere a bit pricier than it should be, but that wasn't too bad since we had already paid for 3 nights so we would only be paying the quoted rate for the last night (the extra night we had decided to stay which wasn't yet paid for).
We clearly told the MGR that we had paid, showed him the receipt and said that we would pay the agreed upon rate for the last night.
Our stay was pleasant, the restaurant was pretty good, the place was very quiet, and only about a 2 minute walk to the beach.
The problem came when we got ready to leave, at check out the MGR asked for my proof of payment which I had already given him. He then asked me to go to the internet cafe with his employee to print out another copy of proof of payment from my email. At this point I was getting a little frustrated because we had a taxi comin for us and we had sorted this all out the first night. I offered him the 3800 INR and told him simply that this should settle us up and that I had to go. He then said no that we owed the difference between what we had paid and what the total bill was (15200 INR). I told him that the difference should be 3800 INR since we had already agreed that we would only needed to pay for the 4th night.
At this point (about 25 minutes in) he finally found the pay pal proof of payment I had given him, at which point he now converted the pounds back to INR and told me that we had pre paid for a mid range room that was 2300 INR per night so we owed the difference for each night of accomodation that was pre paid plus the final night. I was livid as I explained to him that we had already agreed to something else and he simply insisted that we would need to pay the difference (about 8000 INR). I asked him why he had showed us only the most expensive cottages apparently when we had reserved something else and he told me it was my fault because I didn't know what room I had booked. I replied that I was Canadian and that he had billed me in pounds for a rate that was quoted online in INR, so that when I arrived I really had no idea what I had specifically paid for, that was his job since he had taken the reservation. We argued back and forth for a full 20 more minutes at which point my partner who was waiting outside came in quite angrily and said that I had been far too patient with him. He put the 3800 INR on the desk and stormed off. I advised the MGR that this was fair at which point he told me that the difference would have to come out of his salary. I felt badly but the reality is that he didn't do his job, and I suspect he was either incompetent or trying to scam us.
Long story short, we thought we had been clear and that we were dealing with someone who was on the up and up, but despite pre paying and being clear this hotel either can't manage a reservation or is plain crooked.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
20 Thank Kenny T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palolem
3.0 km away
0.8 km away
Palolem Beach Resort
Palolem Beach Resort
#28 of 81 in Canacona

Been to Dreamcatcher Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK