All reviews homemade jams roberto and raquel the main house home stay home away from home goan family wonderful cook quaint village chicken vindaloo food cooked sheer joy perfect hosts ancestral home nook and corner heavy heart portuguese house memorable days
Reviewed 5 April 2014

For all those who would like to see the real Goa with its true culture, hospitality, natural surroundings away from the maddening crowd and commercialism - Cancio's house in Aldona is an ideal getaway.
Finding this lovely place in my own village was a miracle and it surpassed all my expectations.
Roberto and Raquel are perfect hosts (their home cooked meals are much better than highly overrated establishments). Their 3 lovely sons - Harrison, Antonio, Rafael are a true delight as is their gracious Mamai - Maria who is a treasure trove of wonderful experiences and amazing talent. Their two dogs - Jess and Doughnut are very friendly - all contributors in making our stay a memorable one.
I really wish I could have spent a few more days just chilling out and taking a trip down the river on the speedboat / checking out the yacht - but there is always a next time and I hope it is soon.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank MaureenBritto
Reviewed 4 April 2014

It is now over three years - and six visits - to Cancio's House for me, and it gets better every time. Genuine travelers cannot afford to miss this authentic experience of Goa.

For the activity-loving ones, the speedboat charters are great fun, and there is always the 44-foot catamaran for the luxe experience. We know that we are going to keep visiting everytime the city gets to us, and we need our dose of good ol' Goa !

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jude D
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Located in the charming village of Aldona, away from the typical touristy stuff, Cancio's House makes for a refreshingly lovely retreat for those who really want to experience the true Goa. Roberto and Raquel make the perfect hosts - going out of their way to make your stay special. The rooms are tastefully done up with a lot of attention to detail. I absolutely loved the high-ceilings, antique furniture, warm lighting - great aesthetics overall!

The garden outside is a real treat for the eyes and the ears (one can hear and spot a variety of birds in the garden right from the Robin to the Bharadwaj bird to Hornbills). Kudos to Maria (Roberto's mother) who has really maintained the garden over the years. Full of cheer and with lovely stories to share, she makes for great company. I could sit all day having endless cups of tea talking to her about marine life, politics, history and a variety of subjects.

Also not to be missed at any cost is Raquel's food, which is to die for! The breakfast that she prepared for us was heavenly - freshly baked pois, fluffy pancakes, home-made jams - you name it! Roberto will keep you entertained with his good humour and his excellently maintained catamaran and speed boat. He is an A class captain!

Their three adorable sons and two playful dogs made the trip all the more fun!

Overall, I highly recommend this place - not just for the location, food and ambience, but more importantly the warmth and generosity that the host's family add to the whole experience.

This was my second visit to Cancio's House, and as before, I had to leave with a heavy heart. The end of each visit had me feeling more like a family member than a guest :)

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Christine_Dsa
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed here on 15th & 16th March. (2N & 3D). Its a typical Goan House and awesome Goan Hospitality. As soon as we entered the place we decided we are not going anywhere and just enjoying the property. Roberto & Raquel do take very personal care of the guests. The rooms are equipped with all necessary amenities. LCD Tv, Hot Water, etc. Some ancient furniture of room makes you more lazy to move out of the house. The family is very loving and caring. Their home made jams by Raquel are too good and so the cocktails. They never said NO to anything or never pressured us that "Dinner is ready" or our Lunch & Dinner timings are ... to ... A service with smile and very personal care.
If going to Goa.. this is the place to get relax and leisure.

Room tip: The Best Till Date!!!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank JatinnB
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The place where we were at home in Goa!! A lovely and a caring family of Roberto Amaral made our stay a very comfortable one. The taste of the authentic Goan food prepared by Mrs.Raquel Amaral is still lingering on my taste buds. The 3 lovely kids were fun to be with especially the tiny tot Rafaelo Oh and yes the Amaral's have 2 naughty dogs Jess (Alsatian) & Donut (Lab)!! A must visit place when in Goa!!!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends