“Hidden Gem of Koh Samui”

Sandalwood Luxury Villas
Ranked #1 of 63 Hotels in Maret
Reviewed 24 June 2010

WAI Mr. David (one of the owners) this was long overdue...

We never had such a hospitable/memorable traveling experience ever... Sandalwood made our special occasion much more special... We stayed 3 days at Plumeria & 2 Days at Malee Villa and my god the view from Villa was mesmerizing, the staff amazing, service immaculate, support unfounded anywhere else in the world

The Villas much much more than they look on pictures with all amenities one can ask for, loved the little surprises (msgs, chocolates etc.) we used to find on the bed when we used to come back at night, staff that was always there listening & smiling especially Ms. JOY who was a real JOY to hang around with... Wish we had the luxury to spend more days at this serene place...

All in all, it was 5 Shinning Star experience for this sanctuary in the hills

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AghaF
konadavid, Owner at Sandalwood Luxury Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2010

Sawasdee krup from Sandalwood Villas. We are so happy to get this review from you. Thank you for the Wai gesture. That is great. All our staff try to Wai and give the best hospitality they can. When we get the feedback like this that acknowledges their good service, it helps create continual good service daily. We hope you come share some time with us again one day. We wish you all the best too. David and the Sandalwood team.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 June 2010

I have just left Sandalwood Samui to head up to Chiang Mai today, & I miss it already. With my sister and my friend, we stayed in the magnificient Leelawadee (did I spell this one right Pon???) and I could never imagine that a place could be so wonderful. From the greeting on arrival from Pon, to the lovely farewell this morning at 8am at the restaurant (staff even coming in early so we could have our breakfast prior to leaving),nothing was too much trouble.

To Pon, Koy, Sea, Tiang, Rat, Mai, Tho, Nuek, Pui and the ever smiling Yod, you are such lovely people, who genuinely care for the well-being of your guests. The 'surprise' party for my birthday, including presents, on Monday was amazing & it will always have a special place in my heart - thanks Koy for staying way past your finish time to join in to sing 'happy birthday.

It was more than perfect being away from Lamai & Chaweng but for a quick 10 minute drive, either by the complimentary shuttle or availing on the Sandalwood Samui Taxi, it was never a problem not being "right in town - it was so much better. Coral Cove at the bottom on the hill was a perfect place for a sea swim at any time as well. The infinity pools, the jacuzzi we had with our villa, the Spa treatments, not forgetting the most wonderful, variety of menu for meals & including when he felt like turning up, pats, purrs and tummy rubs for "Pumpkin' & his girlfriend "Potato" I would never ever stay anywhere other than Sandalwood Samui - this little gem of a place deserves the number one spot................so do yourself a favour, I dont believe you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mandaroox2
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We stopped over in Koh Samui on our way home from Europe to Australia.
We stayed at Sandalwood villas. Below is a quick rundown on our thoughts.

Location: Very secluded, located at the top of a mountain with excellent views of Chewang beach. Unfortunately the towns aren't really within walking distance.
The hotel offers 2 free shuttles each day or you can get a hotel driver for 400 baht each way.

Rooms: The rooms are very nice and spacious. Excellent balconies with views over the beaches. Most seemed to have private pools or access directly to one of the main pools.

Food: The hotel offers a small restaurant which servers both Thai and Western food. The food is of good quality but is quite expensive (for Thailaind). There are no other restaurants close by so a trip to town will be required if you want to eat elsewhere.

Service: Staff at this hotel are excellent. The driver was waiting at the airport and offered us cold drinks and a cool towel for the car ride. Always very friendly and will to help with any requests. Nothing bad to say at all about the staff!!

Overall this is an excellent hotel. The only downside is the distance to town, however this can be a positive if you just want to relax in a secluded location.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bailes23
Reviewed 10 June 2010

We could not have chosen a better hotel. When we got there, the all-smiley hotel driver was already waiting for us with a Hilux (my favourite 4x4, by the way) & he gave us really cold mineral water (which was divine as it was scorching hot at that time).

When we saw the hill to the hotel, boy! I admire those fellow trip advisors who actually made the effort to climb it! And yes, DO NOT even try! It’s really steep! When we got to the reception area, it was about 11am. They had nice cold drinks and towels waiting for us and politely informed us that our room wasn’t ready. So we made our way to the restaurant for lunch. Both of us ordered Pad Thai, and it was really good! We highly recommend it. The price wasn’t bad either.

In less than an hour, they informed us that our room was ready and one of the receptionists followed us to show us around. When we entered Jasmine villa, they had already switched on the air cond so it was really nice after walking in the heat. The room was immaculate and the view was just stunning! My jaw dropped when I saw the sea from our balcony. It looked much better than in the photos.

If you’re going with a friend, Jasmine & Orchid would serve you fine. They both have lofts with double beds. My friend & I each had our own personal space, with our own double bed, whilst still being in the same room. But you’ve got to be careful though. The stairs leading to the loft were kind of steep, so if you’re afraid of heights, you might want to go for other villas.

We asked the hotel if they could drive us to Coral Cove and they gave us a hand phone so that we could call them when we were ready to be picked up. I did some decent snorkeling (the hotel lets you borrow their beach balls and snorkeling equipments).

At night, we ate again at the restaurant. It was a very pleasant experience as the waiters were very attentive and they made sure we were happy with the food. We took the shuttle to Chaweng beach the following morning and managed to spend a few hours there.

My friend hurt her feet very badly due to the reckless foot scrub by the masseuse in Chaweng beach. We should’ve tried the spa at the hotel, since they gave us 15% discount vouchers anyway. The hotel driver picked us up at 5pm. On the way back to the hotel, I saw lots of people stopping at the viewpoint & I was thinking, “Lucky me! The best view is just outside my room!”

I told them four months earlier that the trip was to celebrate my best friend’s birthday, & they remembered! On the night before her birthday, they called our room & asked if we were going out. We told them we were staying in & they said they would drop by to “give bill”. They came to our room with a cake & sang her the birthday song! It was incredibly thoughtful of them, & somehow there were fireworks over Chaweng beach. So the birthday celebration worked out really well.

The hotel really knows how to take care of you. It was lovely to find the mosquito repellent and first aid kit in the room, the laptop and variety of sun lotion in the reception for you to use, the library of books and DVDs for you to borrow, plus the endless bowing and smiling they gave you. When I informed Pon I couldn’t watch movies in my loft, to my delight, she immediately instructed for an extra DVD player to be installed with my TV. And every night they’d leave little chocolates on your bed with a good night wish.

Did I mention the pool? Incredible. Absolutely mind-blowingly beautiful. I wish I could pack the pool and the backdrop in my suitcase and bring them back with me.

When it was time to check out, I was really sad and I kept telling my friend I didn’t want to go back. The receptionist even took a picture of us by the pool and put it in a frame for us. Before driving off the airport, our driver turned and waved at us… twice! It felt as if a friend dropped us off rather than a hotel driver.

If you asked me what’s best about the hotel, I’d tell you it’s the wonderful staff. You can tell by the look on their faces that they are sincere in helping you, and they never failed to stop & greet whenever we passed by. It made us felt like royalty.

Well-done, Pon & friends, given the chance, we’d return at the drop of a hat!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank izel1906
konadavid, Owner at Sandalwood Luxury Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2010

Sawasdee krup from Sandalwood staff. We appreciate you taking the time and writing a comprehensive review. I will pass on all the comments to the staff. They will be very happy too.
We try to have a happy place for everyone to work, good working conditions, benefits, and respect to all. In turn, our guests most often will also feel very welcomed and sincere service.
We are happy that you really enjoyed your stay.
All the best from David and the Sandalwood team.

Reviewed 9 June 2010

WOW. My husband and I traveled to Thailand for our honeymoon. We stayed on Koh Phangan and Koh Tao for two weeks before returning to Koh Samui for only one night. After arriving at Sandalwood, we both wished we'd made arrangements to stay there for much longer than planned! Pon and her staff welcomed us so warmly. We received delicious fruity drinks on arrival, followed by a tour of the grounds and our villa. We stayed in the Camellia, which is outfitted with its own jetted plunge pool. Heaven! Everything about Sandalwood deserves praise. The staff, the restaurant (healthy and FRESH), the accomodations ... amazing. Like I mentioned before, we only stayed for one night. They offered us a late checkout, since our flight wasn't until evening...offered us a cell phone, made sure that we knew there were showers for us to use that afternoon, and took us to the airport (all after we'd checked out). From everything else that we've read - they treat everyone this way! There is an employee there that my husband and I had a chance to speak with a lot - her name is Koi. She might be the most precious person in the world! She was so helpful and lovely to be around. EVERY employee greets you with genuine smiles and just fills you with fantastic vibes. Ahh, and the car service - lovely! It was great to have a driver at any hour of the day - BLASTING AIR CONDITIONING - they will take you down to either beach and pick you up as well. Really, it was heaven.
We didn't want to leave! THANK YOU SANDALWOOD!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PaigeBRobinson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maret
3.4 km away
9.9 km away
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort
11.2 km away
SENSIMAR Koh Samui Resort and Spa

Been to Sandalwood Luxury Villas? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK