“Best place I have stayed.”

Tropical Palm Resort
Ranked #4 of 77 Maret B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2014

If you are looking for somewhere to stay on Ko Samui, stop! This is the nicest place I have stayed in, in Thailand. Not just because of the really nice rooms, pool, bar and pool but because of the ambience that was created by the staff. The hotel is owned by an Irish guy call Paul and some other guy but we didn't see him during or stay. The attention to detail in finishing off the hotel is second to none. They also have only about 30 rooms which means you get great attention and makes it such a relaxing stay. Paul will bend over backwards to make sure your stay is great and its not just him. The rest of his Thai staff are the same. It is the only place where I could leave my phone wallet or anything else on the bar and go off to room and know that it was ok. We were planning on just staying 2 nights but ended up staying 4 because we liked the place solo much. However it just wasn't us that extend or stay. In fact everyone that we talked to around hotel had extended there stay too! I have honestly never stayed anywhere where all the people in the hotel talked soo well about the place. In fact during or stay one group of guys decided to go to the full moon party and leave there bags there and go back there then for the rest of there time in Thailand!!
Just a bit about Paul because he makes the place. I told him about a heat rash I was getting he went to the pharmacy and picked me up some tablets and there were at reception the next morning. This was just a small example of loads of things that he did that was above the service you will not get anywhere else.
My advice is go here while it is still a hidden gem beaches it is only a new hotel not many people have hear of it. When they do your not going to be able to get a room in the place. And its also way under priced, it is the best value for money I have had in Thailand and this was my 3rd visit to the country.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank cb138513

Reviewed 17 July 2014

When i arrived in Koh Samui Paul met us at the airport. i had never seen the hotel as it was booked through a friend. when we arrived it was amazing. by far the best hotel Ive stayed in on my 3 week trip to Thailand. the place was clean and very picturesque. the staff were great. Paul will do anything he can to make your stay memorable and nu is always up for the banter. i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to the island

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank david m
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here again for the middle two weeks of June as part of my twice yearly trip to LOS. However, after reading the previous reviewers comments I am starting to wonder if we stayed at the same hotel??? Dave was on a trip back home so only Paul and the staff at the hotel. The same excellent friendly service as always, even though it was low season and many of the rooms were unoccupied. Good to see some friends made on previous visits are making return stays at the hotel, it’s starting to feel like a second home.

Not sure where the comments by ‘george a’ regarding the cleanliness have come from as I’ve never had a problem in over 6 visits and the room girls do an excellent job whilst not disturbing any of your personal effects. I wouldn’t leave them a nice tip every time I stay if they didn’t. As for dogs there is only one, Khun, who is there to keep any other dogs or animals out of the hotel. He is originally Dave’s pet dog and is treated as one of the family. He has a lovely temperament and would never hang around the tables unless he is encouraged. As with this and any other possible problem a guest may have, if they spoke to the management it would be sorted immediately. As for the location, if ‘george a’ had been as quick to check the reviews prior to booking as he was to leave negative comments after, he would have realised that the hotel is a little distance from the centre of the resort as they make no attempt to hide this.

As for the review by ‘Gigja16’, I was actually at the resort in December at the same time that they were staying there. All I will say on this matter is that it was definitely not as they have portrayed it and Dave’s alleged behaviour along with the allegedly extortionate charge has been grossly inflated by themselves. I know this for a fact because they were trying to gain some sympathy from myself regarding this whilst I was sitting at the bar.

To summarise if you are looking for 5 star accommodation right on the beach then this is not the place. However if you are looking for a quality budget hotel with friendly service, a little out of the hussle and bussle of the town, you won’t go far wrong here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve_P_Wales
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our family of three travelled in South East Asia for two months, through Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand. We had nothing but great things to say about every stop on the way. Meeting lots and lots of generous and extremely nice people. And this hotel and this island was supposed to be our luxury treat in the end of the trip. It turned out awful.
The hotel is very far away from everything and has nothing to offer in the area. The owners are willing to drive you into town and pick you up, but it is not them being nice, it is a mandatory thing for them because otherwise it would be difficult for people to stay there (unless they can rent a motorbike).
The owner David is VERY RUDE, and has no sense of service. It is impossible to talk to him and he will just give you a taste of his ill temper if you have something to discuss regarding the service. The restaurant is over priced and they will charge extra for everything they can.
Our son broke a cup and we were charged 400 Baht for the cup, and he also spilled a bit of juice on the sheets and they demanded we would repay the sheets or pay extra for the cleaning cost. We were so truly offended, had it been us being drunk and spilling redwine all over the sheets i would have understood, but our two year old son spilling juice...common... And when discussing it with David he got so mad and rude and we ended up arguing with him, which is probably the most stupid thing you can do with your customers. And we were staying there for 10 nights and paying lots of money for the stay and at the restaurant. In my opinion it is a matter of politeness and it is just not ok to be that rude to your customers.
Besides, everything on this island is overpriced compared to other places we went to in Thailand, and just not really worth the while.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at the hotel before,it was my first port of call.Have things changed YES its just got better.Arrived late at airport no problem transport was waiting with a smile.
I stayed for 12 days which was relaxing and fun during the day around the pool talking to staff and guests,this hotel is a gem.Hired a bike via the hotel which is hassel free from their reliable partners,helmet and full tank of gas 5star
.Eating at the hotel is a treat and any quirks of which i have many Nou will accomodate if she can.The room was clean,the bed firm and comfy(just ask for a bed pad if to firm) The housekeeping are quick and exact always laughing as they work.El keeps the bar going duringbthe day.Paul and Dave are doing a great job running this hotel, they and the staff make you welcome from day one of your stay.
You will not go wrong by staying here .

Stayed: June 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maret
7.4 km away
Promtsuk Buri
#5 of 77 in Maret
2.9 km away
Green Canyon Hip & Cheap Resort

Been to Tropical Palm Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK