4,652 results
All reviewsgold floorluana loungebrown's delihale kaispa without wallsnorth towerpresident's clubbrown's beach housefairmont orchidthe big islandsea turtlesfishsushi restaurantgolf courseour honeymoongarden viewpaddle boards
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Our daughter spent part of her honeymoon here and told us to include it in our trip. She said to be sure to check out the appetizers on the patio in the evening when there was live entertainment and the lighting of the Tiki Lights ceremony. Boy was she right. We actually had the majority of our "dinners" by having wine and appetizers. All the selections were really good and the fish sliders were a favorite. The setting of the hotel is spectacular and the secluded pond within the ocean is a very nice feature. Plenty of seating whether you want to use the pool or the ocean. The service was very good and the room was spacious and very classy. The staff was helpful at every turn and we especially enjoyed the service on the patio. We will go back again.

Room Tip: Really not a bad room on the property. Most have at least a view of the ocean and the layout is set up so you don't have far to walk for the pool, the bars, the patio, the ocean or the dining room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pebblebeach
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. We are here with a large confererence, nearly 800 people and I find the staff a little overwhelmed and under prepared, for example the shuttle that takes you to the golf course could not handle all the demands. Why not two? After a Four Seasons experience, I have not found too many smiley faces on the staff. Tough to compare four seasons with anything else...

Room Tip: We stayed in the north tower and had a walk out to the garden. easy to get in and out, but one of us had to go through the door because you can't lock the sliding doors.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2012

First of all, I've stayed at the Four Seasons & the Mauna Lani here on the Big Island. I LOVE the Mauna Lani (probably biased because I got married there), but we have always gone to Brown's to have dinner on our previous visits and thought we should try the Orchid.

I was a bit disappointed with our first impressions. We were greeted with a lei, but it wasn't a fresh flower lei. There wasn't refreshing juice or a relaxed check in atmosphere. In fact, it was very pedestrian and was just like any other hotel (not including Four Seasons our Mauna Lani).

Our room was nice, we had a South side ocean view room that had a gorgeous view. We had a lovely view of the ocean and the koi ponds below. The room had a really nice feature with a Keurig coffee machine plugged in, ready to use in the credenza under the tv. The coffee was fantastic and house keeping was on the ball refilling our choices. The rooms have a refrigerator, it was pretty disappointing though that the rooms don't even have water in them.

TIP - if you are sensitive to light, bring an eye pillow. They have sliding wooden shutters that let in light. There are no curtains. The only rooms with curtains are the Gold level rooms.

We had dinner at Brown's. Actually this was our 3rd or 4th time there. Dinner was very enjoyable. We had a table right along the beach and sunset was gorgeous. The restaurant was incredibly sensitive to any allergies which was nice. They also had a nice menu for "alternate" choices, ie: diabetics, gluten free.

We didn't travel with our two children this time, but I can see how this would be a nice place to bring small children. The beach has a lagoon with easy lapping waves so it's really great for young kids. I saw a number or 2-4 year olds running in the sand and running away from the water. Snorkeling is ok. Visibility was cloudy, but it was easy to get into the water. Was able to see turtles, rays, moray eel. It's suggested to wear water shoes as there are lava rocks on the sand.

The $14.99 per day for internet access charge is real annoying.

TIP - There is a Foodland grocery store at the Mauna Lani Shops which isn't too far away. If you have a rental car, I suggest you stop in at the store before checking in at the hotel. The store has a nice wine selection, plus all the snacks you could think of.

Overall the Orchid is beautiful, grounds are great, seems a bit pedestrian for the price. I would go back but it would have to be at an attractive price in a Gold Level room.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Manateegirl
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed here 2 summers ago and were so pleased with the whole experience: our room, service, facility, luau, location, etc. A very lovely and elegant property on a beautiful beach fronted by a family friendly cove, great for snorkeling, swimming and canoeing. We just returned from another stay and were a little disppointed with the "value" equation this go around. Our "partial ocean view" room this time -- not! If you leaned way over the patio/balcony and then craned your neck 90 degrees, you might snatch a crescent view of the ocean. And the room was just a regular "motel like" room with a couple of queen beds -albeit a very nice "motel room", but nothing like the "2 queen bed/partial ocean view" room we had a couple of years ago. I also have a thing about clean glassware in hotel rooms; I kinda think it represents cleanliness in the rest of the hotel room. Need I say more? I kept putting the dirty looking glassware out to be taken away and the same dirty (with the same dirty splotches and crud!) kept reappearing on (new) paper doilies. Really? It just seemed like the whole experience was not as impressive this time around, and not worth the price. For instance, the menues in the hotel restaurants were way overpriced, the hotel's "King's" luau performance seemed shorter and had lost a little of its "wow" factor (although the performers still impress!). However, the staff was still very friendly, always ready with a smile and a quick "aloha!", so they still rate a 5-star in my book. It's just the diminished price-value equation, and I may look south to the Waikaloa hotel area the next time we go back to the Big Island.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank LiquidSun
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and I spent a week here ending on April 25th. This was pretty much the end of spring break season, so the resort was calm and very accessible. We were fortunate enough to find a great deal on the Gold floor, and our entire week was fabulous. The breakfasts and afternoon snacks are outstanding. No problems finding chairs by the pool or the lagoon. Great service, especially Stacy and Emily in the concierge and our room crew. We were upgraded to a beautiful executive suite Brown's Beach House is top notch. Snorkeling in the lagoon was amazing. Visit close by Hapuna Beach and Mauna Kea Beach--the best beaches on the Big Island. There is a helicopter port on the highway near the resort. The Blue Hawaiian tour was very good, but very expensive. We decided to bite the bullet rather than drive around the entire island. It is very big and you may get tired of looking at black lava rock eventually. (Go for the Hana Highway on Maui if you want to drive--that is beautiful.). I recommend shorter field trips to Hawi or Kona. Overall, the Fairmont Orchid is a beautiful place, and the Gold floor really glitters.

Stayed: April 2012