“Fantastic location very helpful staff”

Maspalomas Princess Hotel
Ranked #61 of 218 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed 13 October 2017

We have just returned today 13th October ‘ from a great week at this hotel.
The weather was fantastic the hotel staff were incredibly polite and helpful even although they were very busy all week as the resort was full . The pool areas are very nice well positioned for easy access to the bars and restaurants. There’s not a lot of walkable night life . However it’s only €5 in a cab to the shopping malls etc with some nice bars and restaurants. The rooms are of good quality and the cleaning staff don’t stop working. The hotel bar prices are good and more competitive than the UK despite the week £. In Short a great late summer place to go

Room Tip: Book early ask for a hotel floor plan to be emailed so you can choose well in advance
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark H

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

Stunning hotel, staff excellent, cleanliness brilliant however restaurant food not great ... my partner and I are not fussy eaters however the choice at this hotel is not great we ended up eating out most of our stay here.. restaurant far too busy food too spaced out and selection not great !!
The beach area around the pool wasn't great either as there are many cats on site and they clearly use it as a giant litter tray ... found myself having to move to a different dumbed on several occasions to get away from the stench of cat poo !!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank saljols
Reviewed 10 October 2017

I will give this hotel a truthful and honest appraisal.

Not what I expected from the Tui / Thomson brochure and grand hotel frontage.

We arrived to check in and found a lock on our fridge. 2 Euros a day !!! - Outrageous ! We paid under protest to find the fridge small inside with no thermostat so that the temperature was pre-set to just about cool.

Room safe you also have to pay for. Another ruse to extract money from you

And if you want to change your beach towel, then that's another one Euro for each exchange. - Not something you wish to find on arrival, so bad start to the holiday.

We were half board, so quite rightly, you have to pay for your drinks, We sat for dinner where you help yourself to beer, cold drinks etc. There was a water tap so I took two glasses of water. We began eating and a waitress came over and started to take the glasses away saying you have to pay. I took the glasses back. She then got out her note book and wrote out a bill for 2.20 Euros and threw it on the table and walked off.

She appeared 2 mins later with a small bottle of water and opened it, placed it on the table and walked off. I got hold of another waiter and told him to take the bottle and the bill away to which he did.

When you come in for breakfast, a waiter will seat you on a table. One morning there was no waiter, so we walked in and looked for a table for 2. There were none available. The only tables available were 6 place settings so we sat there. A waitress then came over to tell us to move. I told her to clear off.

I'm a lawyer and had to take work with me. For 2 nights I sat in reception at a desk that was situated to one side by a wall. They used it for car hire. There was seating areas available but the tables were too low to work on. I was working from 11.30 pm to 5 or 6 am the following morning

On the third night of working in the same area, after about 2 hrs, the guy on reception comes over to me to state I have to ask his permission to be there. I said do I have to ask you for permission to sit at these chairs with the low tables? And I told him to clear off.

The staff are rude.

FOOD -
Cleanly presented, ok and some choice, BUT ...... if you like under cooked french fries that are soggy every single evening ..... then this is the place to be !!!

WIFI -
There is no free Wifi ....... even in reception ..... 2 Euros a day ......
I used my own data download

ENTERTAINMENT-
What can I say?
You step outside from the bar to find at one end, the stage, which is small and where there is hut which I can only describe as an over sized porta-loo from where the acts emerge.

Entertainment quality?
Well I wouldn't ask Simon Cowell to comment
One act nearly cleared the entire audience
Probably would have gone down a storm at Fawlty Towers

By the way, the entire acts only lasts 45 mins and that's your lot !
If you can't stand it, then trot back into the bar,
Where there is a solo piano player ....... if you can stand that too

THE BAR
There is no waiter service and be prepared to queue for drinks up to 20 mins

ROOM -
Clean but only has one plug in the main area and one in the bathroom
Our sink was blocked

POOL -
Nice pool and clean

OVERALL -
Never again will I book Thompson (soon to be defunct along with 1st Choice) coming under the banner name of Tui.

I believe this is a Tui run hotel

They have the audacity of describing this as a "Platinum Hotel"
My analogy - It's Silver at best

TOP TIP
For a little more money, go and book this hotel which is situated on the beach front a mile away:

LOPESAN VILLA DEL CONDE

We stayed there last year but couldn't get in this year
There are no little rip offs to hit you when you arrive
The rooms are larger
There is such a variety of food which is first class
There is waiter service
Free Wifi in reception, and,
The entertainment is amazing and goes on for hours
And no little rip offs when you arrive (fridge, safe, reception wifi and beach towel included)

Great hotel and while we were staying in this hotel,
We booked the Lopesan for 2018 with Jet2holidays
Which automatically gives you private transfers

I am not connected with Jet2holidays or the Lopesan
And I confirm I have not received any inducements from either

Just an honest appraisal to help you choose your next holiday in Gran Canaria

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tony F
Reviewed 9 October 2017

This is a gorgeous hotel, although a bit bigger than we're used to! Super, large room (Junior Suite) - although it overlooked the main road at the front there was so many plants outside shielding the view it never bothered us. However, a few negatives that we were greeted with on arrival:
Rubbish aircon in the room
19Euros for WiFi
14Euros for the Fridge
15Euros for the Safe
We have never had to pay for these in 4 star hotel before. It felt petty (particularly for the fridge which was actually switched on but locked!!).

The room and the hotel were very clean, although the pool was a bit grubby in places and had a few tiles missing. Plenty of sunbeds every day if you wanted them but they were very close together - I would not want to visit in peak season when the hotel is at full capacity. It was worth a walk to the beach for the views and ambience around the beachfront cafes and restaurants.

The food was very good in this hotel. Always plentiful with some good choices that were always hot. Disappointed with the charges for drinks - we were half board and 2.20 for a water is high.Drinks in general were a little expensive, including in Maspalomas,but the resort is very nice and the bars and restaurants a good quality.

We went to Mogan on the bus and got the ferry back. It made for a great, relaxing day out. We also went with Thomson on the Island Trip - this was a good trip to see the island on.

We loved Gran Canaria and Maspalomas but next time would prefer to stay nearer resort centre and beach.

Oh, and the towels need replacing please! Well worn and rough and the bath towels were on the small side.

Room Tip: There are literally 100's of rooms - luck of the draw I think!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank skintbuthappy_8
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely clean hotel with friendly helpful staff from reception, bar & restaurant. Good size room with amazing power shower. Pool side no issues with sunbeds always plenty in either sun or shade. Easy to get to beach or shops via the back gate. Taxis 3-5 euros to the town. Thomson reps helpful but never needed as everything went smoothly. Nice touch from hotel room made available after check out to shower and change before flight home free of charge with clean towels. Would recommend to others and likely to return with the right deal.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple