“A little bit of paradise on earth...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Echo Valley Ranch & Spa

Echo Valley Ranch & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jesmond
Seattle
“A little bit of paradise on earth...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2007

The spa, the horses, the scenery, the food - I can't use enough superlatives to describe the delights that await at the Echo Valley Ranch and Spa. The combination of Thai and Western cultures creates a unique experience. I started the day with a gentle Thai exercise class, then hopped on a horse for a trail ride, returning at lunchtime for a delicious and healthy meal prepared by the incredible onsite chef. The afternoons were spent in pure bliss, being pampered by their exquisite Thai massage artists. (I could almost see the angel wings on them during the heavenly massages..) After the evening festivities where we learned to line-dance accompanied by the western band, we finished out the evening gazing at the stars from the comfort of the just-right outdoor hot tub. The hospitality of the staff was outstanding - I felt as if I'd known them for years. The border collies are a great welcoming committee. Since it is so small, they can make each guest feel like a privileged visitor. A visit to Echo Valley Ranch & Spa feels like time spent with old friends that you've just met....

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Having to leave...
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank SeaCool
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2007

I have stayed at Echo Valley four times in the past two years, most recently during late July/early August 2007. I hope to visit there regularly in the years to come. It is a wonderful place located in the most picturesque setting imaginable.
Echo Valley is a place where I can unwind, relax, and slow down in the company of interesting people from all over the world. When I visited with my teenagers, they took the active path - horseback riding, fitness center, hikes in the woods and lots of visits to the hot tub. But my style is more to read and relax in the big comfy chairs of Dove Lodge, get lots of massage and spa treatments, and focus on the good things like clean air, no noise, pure water and vistas that leave me speechless. The sunset on Mount Bowman behind Dove Lodge is particularly lovely.
Norm Dove and his wife, Nan, go out of their way to make guests feel at home, in their home. The housekeeping staff keep the rooms spotless, and the kitchen staff (including Chef Kim) ensure no appetite goes unfilled.
If there are negatives they are minor. I wish my cell phone worked there but it's probably as well that it doesn't. A phone in the lobby is available for guest use. I wish there was a TV in the rooms so that I could watch news at the end of the day. There is a huge screen satellite TV off the games room in Dove Lodge and there is wireless internet. And it can become quite cool once the sun sets because EVR is over 3500 feet high. Jackets are recommended even in summer. The days can be hot but the evenings are cool.
Echo Valley Ranch and Spa is not for those who want wild nightlife (unless it is wolves in the distance howling at the moon). But someone searching for a genuine spa experience with outdoor activities in a beautiful mountain setting will not be disappointed.

• Liked — the log construction and views out of the windows
  • Disliked — no TV in the rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2007

With Summer winding down and the potential of an increased workload looming the horizon, a R&R getaway was just what I needed. I had heard many great things about Echo Valley Ranch and Spa and made the decision go up there for 4 days. The Ranch is a 6 hour scenic drive from Vancouver and is nestled in the Cariboo Chilcotin Region of British Columbia.

I really had no idea of what to expect at the Ranch other than what I had heard about it and what I had read on their website. I have to say, the Ranch was amazing and I wish I could’ve stayed longer.

On the first night of arrival the staff had arranged for an outdoor BBQ, a campfire complete with a stockbroker-turned-cowboy strumming country tunes much to the delight of all us city tourists not quite used to this type of outdoor hospitality. While roasting marshmallows I could not help but notice the hundreds of stars that brightly dotted the night sky. I came to the realization that light pollution was virtually non-existent here which made my star gazing experience truly mesmerizing.

The next few days were filled with activities. From participating in Thai yoga every morning at 7:00am, horseback riding, fly fishing and hiking, time just flew by. My evenings were spent sampling the various Thai massages offered by the Ranch. I have to tell you that I’ve never experienced more authentic Thai massages anywhere. It was a truly relaxing experience.

With an Austrian chef preparing delicious and healthy meals served 3 times a day, I could’ve stayed in the dining area all day long. Amazing food was prepared and served by even more amazing staff.

The accommodations were first class. I stayed in a large ranch cabin next to the horse stables with a wonderful view of the mountains and surrounding areas. Each morning I sat on the porch drinking coffee, reading a book and soaking in the atmosphere. Good times!

I could go on and on but suffice to say that whether you are looking for a relaxing or active getaway Echo Valley Ranch is the place to be. Check it out!

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank AbdullaVancouver
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2007

My wife and I stayed at the ranch for a long weekend. The drive up from Vancouver takes about 5 hours, but the scenery is out of this world and there is plenty of breathtaking photo ops, so the drive passes quite quickly.

The ranch itself is nestled in a beautiful valley with spectacular 360 degree views all round. We stayed in the main lodge, which is very clean and comfortable, with plenty of amenities including a hot tub, pool table, movie room, computer with internet access. We spent most of our evenings in the hot tub.

The food was excellent and served in an informal atmosphere allowing you to interact with your fellow guests and discuss plans for the day.

My wife had 2 massages which she was very pleased with (she is a massage practitioner herself, so she knows what's good and what's bad), while I spent the time in the pool and gym.

After the spa, horseback riding seems to be the next most popular activity and they have rides for all levels. A relaxing massage after a few hours on a horse is very welcome!!

All in all, I have nothing to fault, and would recommend a stay to anybody.

Best Bits: Spa, horse riding, the collie dogs!
Worst Bits: Can't think of any

• Liked — The food and location
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bully001
PortlandOR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2007

Everytime I visit Echo Valley Ranch I enjoy myself, I feel pampered and can't wait to come back again. After my 10 visits walking through the front door and receiving that warm welcome just feels like returning home. I hardly know what to admire most the scenery, remote wilderness, the great staff, those horses or super meals.

Every day I get to experience a perfect day ..... start with a soak in the hot tub and a cup coffee at sunrise. After a leisurely stretch, it's a delicious family style meal so that I am ready to hit the trail on those beautiful horses. The wranglers have a knack for making each ride a fun filled adventure and a personal experience to treasure. Then comes the really tough decision for the afternoon .... take nap or have a massage. Well since can take a nap anyday, I prefer an excellent massage (for a truly exceptional experience chose one from the Thai menu) followed by a glass wine before dinner. Simple touches like fresh brewed ginger tea after the massage, or saddling my favorite horse, or birthday cakes specially made show how eager folks at EVR are to make sure that the experience is personal as well as memorable.

I am always amazed by the variety of guests that gather for dinner each evening .. from the local cowboys to the Thai staff to bankers from London, to politician's from Phillipines, or to energetic 10 year olds who toast perfect smores.

This is the perfect vacation spot for those who desire relaxed comfort, combination of sport and pampering, or social experience with global flair.

• Liked — Personal service and range of activity
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jesmond
33.2 km away
33.3 km away
Nomad Motel
Nomad Motel
#1 of 5 in Clinton

Been to Echo Valley Ranch & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK