• Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 August 2014

well the pub cum restaurant are great a little cluttered but still good the food i think is average but well cooked staff are good and friendly but the prices for food and drink are way over the top far to expensive '.stayed upstairs for 2 nights everywhere full cows week there where 4 of us in rooms 3 and 5 paid for from works can only say disappointing no on suite a see through shower cubical in one corner and must say filthy dirty mastic all round shower head black with dirt small wash hand basin not big enough to wash in .bed worn out uncomfortable wallpaper starting to peel off walls one dim light bulb and worn out furniture threadbare carpets and overall not at all clean so never again and almost same price as a large chain hotels.can only say shame upstairs lets down the whole pub

Room Tip: not 3 or 5
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank kalosLichfield
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

A lovely looking pub from the outside with hanging baskets plants and all manner of greenage adorning the walls. On a rainy Friday night and after a look at the menu decided on the chicken breast with peppercorn sauce. Food was fine but nothing out of the ordinary for the £15.50 price tag. My friends both had gammon which again looked fine but was also pricey. Enjoyable evening and waitresses were very welcoming. If only the food matched the foliage.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Nooseman220
Reviewed 29 June 2014

One of those pubs that looks fantastic, a very impressive display of hanging baskets. Inside, it is cosy/cluttered with lots of stuff to look at, ranging from shotguns to baseball caps.

We ate here and the food was good, but on the pricey side. The crab and prawn salad I had as a starter was £7.95 so I was hoping for fresh prawns, but they were the tasteless frozen variety.
The seabass that followed was lovely however, with a generous portion of saute potatoes to accompany.

As mentioned on previous reviews, the downside was the accommodation, stuck in a seventies time warp, basin and shower in the room ( shower was reasonably powerful and hot but not the cleanest.) Shared toilet close by. Bed not very comfy but clean. Ivy growing through the window! All in need of revamp, which I suppose could be said to be reflected in the price, £65 for a double room including breakfast. The breakfast was very good, with tasty bacon and sausages, plentiful toast and decent tea.

Staff were helpful and friendly.

All in all, nice pub but wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pinnerpearl
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My son and I stayed for one night and had a terrible night's sleep due to an overheated room, noise (to be expected from a pub billet I guess) and quality of the beds & pillows. Overpriced considering we didn't have our own bathroom and had to share a bathroom with other guests. On the other hand, staff couldn't have been more welcoming and the food was really good but pricey - so if you don't want to stay, it can be recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank FestivalofSpeeders
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

There were plenty of tables to choose from on arrival. However, as it was a very warm evening, we asked to sit outside on the patio area tables. We couldn't because they didn't do waitress service out there! A shame, as inside was dark as befits a country pub. Great for being cosy in the winter but not so at the height of summer! Anyway, the menu had plenty of choice and there was a reasonable specials board. I ordered a chicken and bacon ceasar salad with a portion of fries and my husband ordered the burger with cheese and bacon and fries. We waited approximately 15 minutes for the meals to arrive. My salad had plenty of chicken and bacon and was well balanced with the chopped lettuce and dressing. The 'garnish' was two large outside lettuce leaves which didn't really enhance the dish at all! However, this was the best salad of its kind I have had. The fries were beautifully cooked - crisp yet light and fluffy and with no taste of oil and a good sized portion. My husbands burger was served in two parts! Each side of the brioche bun had a burger, bacon and cheese on and this was served with fries and a side salad. The burgers were quite small and could have had more flavour. The salad was served without a dressing but when we asked, a French dressing was supplied. We had drinks of a half of cola and a pint of cider. The bill was £ 38 which we thought was on the expensive side. We'll probably return but not on a hot day!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple