All reviews luxury tents wild boar local village tented camp nature walk bird walk dam wall bird watching two nights bird life village tour different species overlooking the lake spectacular views recharge your batteries evening walk no tipping policy
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Chhatra Sagar is a Resort that I have been wanting to visit ever since it opened . Which is why I was a bit worried as we drove up the last stretch hoping I had not built it up too much in my head ! But boy did it exceed expectations .( And I am a tough critic being a Luxury Hotelier with 20 years behind me selling top end hotels :) )

Firstly the location . Makes you sigh as you climb the stone steps and get your first look ! Located on an ancient dam wall overlooking a huge lake which is teeming with migratory birds .A restful and calming setting .

The accommodation Large Luxurious , spotlessly clean tents . White on the outside ,The interior of the tents are hand printed to remind you that you are in the colourful state of Rajasthan . But nothing is over the top or kitschy .Well equipped with comfortable beds with clean crisp bed linen, Fabulous bathrooms with a stunning stone wall , large counter and a seriously effective shower , No bath tubs but then who has time to waste while there is so much to enjoy .

The best feature of the tents is that if you roll up your window blinds you look right into the magnificent sunrise over the lake right from your bed .Or if you prefer you can sit in comfortable chairs outside the tent and gaze at the sun rise ,read a bit and then gaze some more as the day passes and the bird activity increases and then ebbs with the hot sun .

The disadvantage if any , These are actual tents so have thin cloth walls .You need to keep voices low and if you have kids with you then you will say shhshh quite often .Also I would be very careful with kids below 6 as there is no boundary and you are on a dam wall after all .

Hosts ; Run by the same family whose ancestors had made the Dam originally ,to harvest water for their subjects .Harsh and his brother Nandi run it along with Raj their nephew ( I hope I have this right ) . Gracious hosts ,they are around at all times without being obtrusive .They personally escort you for the afternoon bird watching walk as well as the morning visit to the village and farms. They are always at hand at meal times explaining each dish to the mainly foreign clientele. Keeping a close watch on your plate and asking the staff for refills with the quite wave of hand or a hushed command . The evenings are set up with a beautiful born fire while guest sit around , have a drink and exchange travel tales , The small size 13 tents I think makes it feel like one was at a private party .The ambers of the fire are used to fill up individual heaters which are placed beside you as you dine ,

The Food . The best I had on a 8 day trip through Rajasthan , The breakfast is western with a home made Fresh Pomegranate studded Muesli,cereal , eggs of your choice and toast. Juice and Tea coffee .

Lunch and Dinner are Indian on a fixed menu basis , The food is wholesome and delicious , Full of the flavours yet light and non oily. That taste can only come from a home kitchen or a kitchen run like a homes and not a hotels . My twins who are fussy eaters normally gobbled up every thing on their plates .

Activities : IF you want to do anything other than sit in your tent verandah and watch the lake and the birds then two activities are scheduled every day . A morning rural village and farm visit , We missed this so I cannot tell you about it .The evening walk assembles at 4 pm and is a comfortable two hour walk around the lake . Nandi led it for us accompanied by the three wonderful dogs and an assistant who carries a Telescope on a tripod, sets it up for you to have a closer look at the bird as well as promptly opens the right page in the Bird guide that he is carrying ::)) This is Bird watching in style . We saw 28 kinds of birds or at least my kids wrote 28 names down in two hours , The dogs also played their part and managed to bark a Huge Wild Boar out of his hiding place in the tall grass for added excitement .If you are staying longer you can also go to a spectacular sunset point which is a bit of a trek.

I wish we had stayed longer and not treated it as a pit stop on the way to Jodhpur , In hind sight I would have lopped off one night in Jodhpur to get atleast two night here , But then one can always go back !

Caveat This is a lovely shant ( quite in Hindi ) resort . Great for couples (young and old )and kids who are used to the experiential travel . If your kids need TV , a swimming pool and constant entertainment of the hyper active type then maybe it is not for you .

My 9 year olds found this to be the highlight of their trip ,specially the birds and the dogs !

Room tip: All the tents are lines up in a row except fpr two perched high up the ridge . Take the last tents for the most privacy bit all tents have a full on view of the lake and the birds .
1  Thank Indiantravelling
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Chhatra Sagar should be "a must" on the itinerary of every discerning traveller.
We would go as far to say that the establishment is nothing sort of "Heaven On A Stick!"
The luxury tents beside the lake teeming with birdlife are a delight to behold.
The breathtaking charm of seeing hundreds of geese, ducks etc. flocking as the sun slowly rises over the lake is nothing short of breathtaking. The experience is made even more enjoyable when "bed tea" is provided should the guest request it.

The hosts are open, warm and friendly, and they possess a delightful sense of humour and play.

We have had the pleasure of staying at Chhatra Sagar on a number of occasions in recent years and we fell qualified to comment on this "Island of Peace" which should not be missed.

We would suggest a stay of at least two nights to gain the maximum enjoyment, but even if you only allocated one night at Chhatra Sagar, the experience would be one that will remain in your memory banks for a very long time.

Room tip: Any of the luxury tents would ensure a perfect stay. They are all perfectly maintained with unrestricted views over the lake.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ThakurSahibMelbourne
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Chhatra Sagar is a very special place. The tents are well-designed and maintained and located on the damn itself overlooking the lake where one can enjoy the sunrise and sunset. The home-cooked food was simple and delicious. The service was attentive without being overbearing. I am not that keen on bird-watching but the tour was interesting and laid back - it was nice to just be in nature. At night, the staff prepares large bonfires that you can sit around and enjoy a drink while looking at the stars. The only drawback was that there was not enough hot water so this might pose as a problem when showering, especially given how cold it gets during the winter. However, this is understandable as it IS tent-living!

2  Thank Ladybug789
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We arrived at Chhatra Sagar and, having climbed up the steps were presented with the most incredible view. The tents on the dam are luxurious but that is not what is important here. On the afternoon we arrived, we went for a wonderful walk into the jungle with Raj and his 3 terriers and 1 great dane. It was the most enjoyable walk, all the dogs raced into the scrub after warthogs and a few seconds later reappeared relatively unharmed but squealing! I gather this is quite a common occurrence. We saw so many birds and pugmarks. In the evening, we climbed the hill for sundowners and nibbles. The views were spectacular. The food was unlike anything I have ever had before (and I am a foodie!). Raj and his broher Haj could not have been more hospitable and were so knowledgable about the wildlife and history (their history!). My husband and I saw a 'cat' one afternoon on the opposite bank. This was a cause of great discussion. It probably was a jungle cat but my husband and I know it was something bigger! Chhatra Sagar was definitely one of the high-lights of our trip. Make sure you take a good pair of binoculars. An idyllic spot.

Date of stay: December 2012
2  Thank Fenella I
Reviewed 2 January 2013

From the moment we arrived and saw the view, we knew that we were in for a treat! After the noise and chaos of Delhi and Jaipur, we were ready to take a big, clear breath of fresh air and relax...Chhatra Sagar was the perfect place for this - so very nurturing! The food is home-grown, nutritious, varied and delicious. Each dish was introduced by our amazing host, Raj, and described to us in mouthwatering detail. Local specialities were expertly cooked and served by candlelight in a large tent overlooking the lake. It was as wonderful as it sounds! Contrary to a previous review, we found the tents to be perfection - beautifully printed inside with traditional designs and simply, but gorgeously furnished. A free-standing heater switched on by the staff whilst we were at dinner, made it even cosier! Attention to detail in such a remote place is amazing - rose petals on our fluffy white towels and the most divine rose-scented hand-wash (they have it sent from Delhi). I couldn't fault the level of comfort or hospitality. We were in the top tent (on the hill - thoroughly recommended if you don't mind the walk) and were still brought our G&Ts in the evening and Massala teas in the morning - yes, that's sundowners AND sunrisers! The owners are always around and clearly feel very responsible for the happiness and comfort of all their guests. The village walk was a chance to see behind 'closed doors' in a small rural community and because they are so well supported by the family, we didn't feel that they resented the 'intrusion'. It was a fascinating trip and Raj was happy to answer all our questions.
The 'Nature Walk' was great and we loved hearing and seeing all the different birds. The owner's 3 gorgeous, friendly dogs accompanied us, which was fun, but if you don't like dogs....
(they wander around the camp too, but very much mind their own business).
There are so many reasons why, along with the Rambagh Palace in Jaipur, we will always remember this place as a highlight of our stay. 2 Nights was a good length of stay here. 3 if you don't get 'itchy feet'!

Room tip: Book early and request one of the two tents on the hill. It's a climb, but worth it for the peace and privacy. 360% views of the most stunning countryside!
Date of stay: December 2012