All reviewspastastreet levelsea viewentertainment teamfishfunicular liftthe buscable caramazing viewsevening entertainmentindoor poolice creambowl of fruitaqua gymhotel complexcleaned every dayat lunchtime
Reviewed 15 October 2017

I thought the hotel was great. On arrival my tour manager said my room did not have a view but look inward towards hotel. If I don’t like the room I could be moved the next day when rooms would be available. Hotel said they would compensate me by not charging me for drink at evening meals they did not have to nice gesture .Good choice of hot and cold food at breakfast and evening meals. Friendly helpful staff in restaurant and bar. I had a great stay thanks to all staff.
A P Worrall

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Views are great. The room I had was large and access to a balcony. However, the room had an infestation of ants and we found a lizard in our room. The staff isn't friendly and will pretend to no longer understand English in the middle of a conversation. Half our group was charged for beach chairs, and the other half was not. When I asked why I was charged the man no longer spoke English. Very sketchy. Also they charge for WiFi like its in the 90s. And even if you have data, like I do, you get zero service in the hotel. I couldn't get texts to go through let alone check into my flight. They have no business area to make up for that either. The one nice thing is the breakfast is good and has extensive options.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank brittneyraquel02
Reviewed 11 September 2017

Highly recommend going to sicily as it's a vibrant island with lots to see and I would definitely return but not to this hotel even though I had a fab holiday overall

I'm going to start with the cons and then move to the pros:

- One of the main issues were some of the staff. They could be very rude at times, often serving Italian guests before you, even though you were there first, and it was rare to get a smile out of some of them even though we were always very courteous! However, a couple members of restaurant staff were lovely and all of the cleaners always smiled and said hello.
- Something that made us very uncomfortable was the envelope left on the table on our last night by the restaurant staff, expecting a tip. (A waiter also came up to us to point it out as though it wasn't obvious enough.) We didn't provide a tip as we weren't completely happy with the service and felt we had paid enough for the holiday! the envelope was still on our table at breakfast the next day just before we left for our flight which wasn't the nicest note to end on as it made us feel really guilty, which is not how we should be made to feel on a holiday
- The pool got quite busy at times but that was expected with the number of guests and there were always sun beds available. Also, the beds are close together and this normally isn't that much of a problem but there were so many people smoking by the pool and it was really really horrible inhaling the smoke whilst we were trying to relax (I know that this isn't something the hotel can do much about)
- There were loads of wasps around the pool in some areas and I actually got stung on my leg whilst sun bathing. There were also loads of ants crawling around and we just felt that the area surrounding the pool wasn't cleaned using a mop and disinfectant everyday like in every other hotel we've stayed.
- It can be a bit of a pain having to use so many lifts to get out of the hotel but it's not too bad (although the funicular lift broke down on the morning we left)
- Have to pay 4 euro for wifi but with most phone companies you can now use data abroad so we just did that but I don't think wifi should be payable anyway
- When we first got into our room we were quite disappointed with our view facing the car park knowing what was the other side! But, from what we heard from others, it seems that it is much noisier facing the sea as that is the side evening entertainment occurs so it's probably not worth paying for a sea view unless you stay in your room loads and the view is something you really value
- Bottle opener is in the bathroom which is a bit weird
- They place water, fanta and other things in the fridge that, even with all inclusive, you have to pay for which i find bizarre as the water is exactly the same as what you can get from the bar with AI.
- Rooms are always cleaned very well and are well equipped with anything you'd need- fridge, hair dryer, tv, safe, kettle etc
- There is aqua aerobics, stretching, archery and darts during the day
- Food: a lovely selection of food at lunch and dinner- mainly pasta, meat/fish and vegetables. There were never any chips etc which wasn't a problem for us although could be for fussy eaters. There were always lovely croissants for breakfast, along with cereals, bacon, eggs, toast, ham, cheese etc. (I do wish there was a better selection of fruit though as it was mainly peaches and pears and kiwi fruit- I usually love having watermelon on holiday and missed it this year) Also, it would have been nice if there was at least one cocktail you could get on AI as had to ask for spirits and soft drinks to mix (beer and wine also available)
- Buses are easy to catch right outside the hotel and are very reliable and a reasonable price
- Tourist tax is payable but a lot cheaper than in taormina
- On arrival you get a plate of fruit and bottle of water which is nice
- Can use the gym for free although it was super busy when I tried to go in the second week of our holiday so only ended up using it once
- Bring a swimming cap if you want to use the indoor pool
- Letojanni is a quite fishing village so not an awful lot to do, except go to the shingle beach. We like to go for walk in the evening and you can walk along the beach quite far but there's not much to see.
- Definitely go to taormina in the night and the day (public gardens are lovely and on the first sunday of every month the amphitheatre if free)

SO, definitely recommend going to sicily (taormina, isola bella, etna, syracuse, agrigento are all wonderful) and this hotel is not awful but it's not quite up to standard either- it was ok and wouldn't fully put someone off this hotel, rather warn them of some of the cons

Room Tip: Don't bother paying for a sea view room as these are the noisiest rooms, being located by the terrace where evening entertainment occurs
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Brenda L
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I have to say I wonder if certain people who have reviewed have been to the same hotel as us! We went for a weeks holiday with our 22year old son.

The hotel is huge being slit in two by a funicular railway which was a novel way of travelling. Then there is a lift through rocks to the street level. This was the only thing I didn't like about the hotel as I don't particularly care for lifts, but that is a personal thing, not there fault.

The positives, well there certainly was a lot going on by the pool! There was entertainment from morning until late afternoon! Great for kids and adults alike and the staff worked so hard to include everyone. So I can't say it was quiet and relaxing but it was fun and I loved the aqua gym. It was spotless and the staff took great care to make sure it stayed that way. What I also loved was the hotel was popular with the Italians who were very friendly and polite, so there were not that many Brits which I quite liked and those that were there were very friendly and positive.

The food was very good, very Italian with lots of choice, ( no chips!) thank goodness! Thomson guests get their own tables grouped in the same area which was fine as we tend to be a sociable family. The restrauant staff were great and very helpful and if you are polite to them then they are polite back.

Our room was at the front with a balcony overlooking the sea on floor 5. It was spacious and decorated Sicilian style which could appear dated to our more modern tastes but it was spotless. The air conditioning was working perfectly for us and given it didn't get below 31* at night I still needed a sheet and a cover on my feet as it got quite chilly!

The evening entertainment was good and included a variety of music which enhanced the holiday feeling. I can't say that the music disturbed my sleep, I wear ear plugs anyway and the music was pleasant to go to sleep too.

Taormina I loved, it has lots of lovely shops and the prettiest beach, the two connecting by cable car. We also did a trip to Mount Etna which was amazing and well worth it but take a coat and closed in shoes because the temperature does drop dramatically and the ground is uneven and loose!

I definitely want to go back to Sicily but the only reason I wouldn't go back to this hotel is the lifts but other than that I would recommend it, just don't go expecting full on luxury and you won't be disappointed!

I would like to thank all the staff for making our holiday a wonderful one!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ilnat2015
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 wks holiday in this rather quirky hotel in Letojanni. It does take a day or 2 to get used to where everything is as this hotel is very .....spaced out. But once you get your bearings, it really is a very nice place to stay.The food is very good and plentiful. Staff is generally good especially 2 waiters stood out for us. Filippo and Alessandro. Receptionist are very helpful too. The pool at the Olimpo is very nice with great views of the sea and the mountains.
I could go on forever but all I say is, I ll def go there again. Viva l Italia !

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family