“OK just”

Hotel Residence Hippotel
Reviewed 8 September 2016

We stayed in this hotel many years ago and it was a good find. We decided to have a short visit to France and opted to go back as we had good memories of the place, perhaps that's what it should have stayed - memories.

The hotel has been "renovated" in an odd way. The bathrooms are a strange shape in almost 75% of the bath is hidden behind a wall!. The kitchen units are quite new but the doors are hanging off. The rooms are very clean which is good but the facilities are very poor - could do with a few more items of cutlery, t towel etc I was told I could get wifi but it transpired it was only in the lobby which wasn't ideal - see my comments later about smoke and the large coach party that arrived.
We were provided with 2 towels but these were supposed to last 2 people 3 nights and when I asked at reception for more to be put in the room was told they would give me more when I returned the ones that had been provided when we checked in as towels often went missing and only 2 were allocated to each room, makes you wonder what sort of people usually stay here. I suggest if you take your own towels as the quality of the ones provided are very poor - my dog has better quality ones.

We decided for our first morning to have breakfast which is 9euro pp. As we were on holiday we went down for breakfast about 9 for a leisurely meal. Mistake! The lady who was in charge of the restaurant obviously had things to do. The quality of the food was good - a typical continental breakfast of ham, cheese etc which we thoroughly enjoyed. What we did not enjoy was the lady moving the tables in the restaurant into the configuration that she needed for dinner that night (a large party arrived but more of that later), her glaring at us as we ate our meal and every time we put a cup down asking if she could clear the table - obviously we did not eat breakfast there the following 2 mornings.

Later in the day a large coach party arrived and from then on the rest of the hotel guests might as well have not been there, everything was geared to their comfort and the rest of us might not have existed.

The hotel had a no smoking policy but people were smoking in the door way of reception and the staff didn't ask the smokers to move outside, the smell of the smoke spread through the corridors of the hotel which wasn't very pleasant for us non smokers. Also the hotel was very noisy and you could hear the conversations in the rooms next door. I don't know what was going on outside in the woods but for most of the night it sounded as if people were shooting guns, and then about 5.30 people were in the grounds shouting and rattling things.

I must be honest this hotel has deteriorated in my opinion, well the saying goes never go back which is true. Would rather pay a little extra and enjoy my stay.

Room Tip: In the front you get the smell from the smokers and in the back you have the noise from the woods, s...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Hotel Residence Hippotel

Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

Lovely little apartment, reasonably priced, wonderful location - perfect as our base for our family holiday in le Touquet.
Short drive or lovely 20 minute walk to Aqualud. The boys loved their bunk beds, the girls loved their room and we adored sitting outside on the balcony for dinner in the evening. Perfect!
Staff were lovely and very helpful.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Veronica T
Reviewed 28 August 2016

I was a little worried about booking this, but as it was just a one night stay before our ferry back to England I thought I would take a chance. The hotel is not 5*, but then you are not paying the 5* price and although the cost was still rather expensive compared too other hotels on our trip it was one of the cheaper hotels in Le Touquet, which is a very expensive area to stay in. The hotel is about a 20 minute walk from the beach and town but there is a free bus service that goes around the hotels and to and from the beach and town. It stops outside the hotel and runs every hour between 9am and 6pm, which was great and saved us the walk during the day when it was hot.The hotel is a little 'hostel' like but was comfortable and clean and had a lovely bar area with very reasonable priced drinks and the staff were helpful and polite. There was also a nice looking restaurant but we did not use this. Each room has a little balcony and the hotel is right next door to the equestrian centre and race course, so is very quiet. The car park is large and free and we were told that you must park within the parking bays or you can get towed away. There is someone on duty all night on reception so we felt the car was safe even though it was a public car park and not part of the hotel.All in all, a good priced hotel for the area which is more than suitable for a short break in what is a beautiful town.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2016

Good location, near race course and river. We cycled into town, as quite a walk. Reception area/staff very good and convenient car park. Apartment was adequete for a short stay, but could do with a little up-dating.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2016

I had to cut short my stay at Hippotel in July 2016. I explained the circumstances to the manager/ owner and he kindly agreed to refund one of the three remaining nights of my stay (I had paid in advance). I therefore stayed for a further two and left as agreed one day earlier than planned. The manager now refuses to refund the one night he agreed to. He did not tell me this until I was 500 miles away!! On the day of departure he was non contactable and nobody at reception was able to help which was suspicious. DO NOT TRUST THIS HOTEL. Other things to watch out for:- 1) food being served raw in restaurant (did not go back for dinner after first night). The meat and fish were served again on same plates after being cooked.
2) seemingly stressed waitress in restaurant (covering bar and restaurant).
3) broken toilet seat in room (broken on arrival but fixed following day when this was pointed out to reception).
4) awful smell in corridor to rooms behind bar (smells like sewage and did not disappear during stay). Requested another room but kept being asked to return following day so gave up asking.
5) No (working?) extractor fan in toilet or shower area of room despite there being no outside window. (Is that legal in France?).
6) Filthy outside terrace/ balcony - wash the furniture before sitting on chairs or placing anything on table. Dog mess on grass immediately outside terrace/ balcony (ground floor). Take a good brush with you. Check seats before sitting on them. One of them had a cracked leg.
6) Tired kitchen area and facilities in room. The TV was new but did not go there to watch TV.
7) General feeling that the hotel is catering for tour groups rather than individual travellers. For example, one evening the restaurant was closed (but there was food being served to a tour group) and tour rooms were receiving daily cleaning while in 5 days my room was not cleaned nor towels changed.

Overall I do not recommend staying here. Sometimes staff were pleasant and cooperative but at others it felt like you were being avoided (especially in the restaurant at breakfast times). The biggest black mark is obviously that the manager/ owner is dishonest and breaks his word. I gave notice to the owner/ manager that if he did not refund my money as promised I would submit a review of his hotel but he ignored my notice.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends