“Good value, nice stay”
Review of Coppid Beech Hotel

Coppid Beech Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Bracknell
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Stayed at the oddly named Coppid Beech for a weekend over Easter. I thought the hotel was rather nice. Check in was efficient and was given a family room on the ground floor. The room was spacious with two camp beds up for the children. Even with the camp beds up we still had more than enough room. The bathroom was adequately equipped albeit a bit chilly. The room was warm enough with an electric heater that soon got the room nice and cosy. A decent sized flat screen tv with a good choice of channels.  See comments about the bird pooh on the balcony's, all true I am afraid. The bed I found quite comfortable wIth good quality linen. Coffee and tea in the room was of good quality, an iron and board in the room useful for some. In summary I was pleased with the room.

A sign at reception says one could get a £250 "fine" for smoking in the grounds other than the designated smoking area's. previously in other hotels I have seen signs saying  £100 cleaning fee etc etc. but a fine? I fail to see what law or what legal authority they have to fine people. My understanding of the law is that only a court can fine people following a proper judicial process. Would like to have tested this new court process, clearly someone at the hotel has the regulation of investigatory powers act qualification, or do they call the cops?

A visit to the health club was good too, a fair sized swimming pool, nice and warm, a hot tub, sauna and steam room. Only downside was a shortage of towels, thus given a rather threadbare small towel that could not possibly have dried my six foot torso!

Had breakfast in the restaurant, (twice) not a great choice but was (other than the scrambled egg) cooked well. Coffee was good and served promptly.  The scrambled egg if you were wondering was suspiciously like canned egg rather than from fresh eggs. A few fried or poached eggs would have been nice. Was it a four star breakfast?, the service was for sure, the food probably not.

Went to the Keller bar on both nights, in the basement of the hotel. Live band on both nights, good soundproofing ensured guests were not disturbed. Prices were very fair at the Keller bar. A couple of odd things though. Was charged £5pp to get in on the Saturday night, considering I had paid over £100 per night for the room I found that somewhat mean, especially as they were advertising one night with breakfast, including entrance to the Keller for £59. The other odd thing is the Keller bar is also a restaurant, at 11pm the restaurant part was empty but they would not allow people to sit in it, thus other than two small booths the Keller is stand up only. Very strange.

Would I stay again? yes probably. Four stars? yes, just....

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank mrmichael1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed here with 5 of my girlfriends in March, one of the group had stayed here a couple of times before and recommended it for a fun night away and we weren't disappointed at all.
The hotel on arrival looks really nice, just like a swiss ski lodge and it's very big. The lobby is well decorated and very clean. We stayed in Pairs and our room was upgraded to a very spacious one with jacuzzi bath (lovely to use after a heavy night) We used the Spa facilities on the Saturday afternoon which although very adequate, i do think it's in dire need of a make-over. The pool bottom looked very dirty and and tiles surrounding the place were filthy, but if they were to do a re-furb it would really be a great little spa. We had made reservations for a 3 course meal in the Rowans Restaurant in the hotel and it was a really lovely meal, we couldn't fault it at all and the staff were very friendly throughout. We then headed down to their bar to watch the live band, then out the doors and over the corridor to their in-house nightclub, which was great as it's all in one place. We had a great time and would definitely go back again, highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank PinkEgg78
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I have been here several times on business because it is close to the company. From outside looks nice as an old kind of Swiss chalet. Inside the rooms are full of staines and clearly durty. Long hair were in the bathroom.
For breakfast I asked for a capuccino, it was an extra of £2.70 !

1  Thank Torino74
Reviewed 9 March 2012

First stayed here around 6 years ago, then March 2010. Could do with a refurb but most hotels that have been around a while are in the same condition.

Have to say not much has changed, staff equally as friendly and helpful, food was as enjoyable as ever, breakfast as expensive as ever, but then its a hotel used mostly by people on business.

A nice hotel, does the job, all facilities as you would expect, rooms are nice and beds comfortable.

My only complaint is its to hot in the hotel and the rooms are to hot, but that's just my personal taste.

1  Thank ksmith38a
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Coppid Beech - Not for Business Travelers

The carpeting greeted me like a grey-faced undertaker whose appearance had been defined by many hard years. As I walked towards my room I realized this hotel was much more tired and worn than I was. Upon entering my room I was greeted by a strong odor of perfume and some ancient looking furniture. The mini bar had a couple of soft drinks and two bottles of water, one of which was half full. The decor matched the carpeting. My 4th floor room had beams that descended to meet my head when I didn't take care moving about. The noise from the room on the other side of a thin wooden connecting door was loud and intruding. A quick sortie to the balcony had me standing in a veritable smorgasbord of pigeon droppings. A look up told me why. About 8 pigeons were cooing happily on a ledge above me. Then the moment of horror set in when I realized that all of their bottoms were facing my way. Needless to say the balcony was unusable.

The food in the dining room was mediocre. Chicken on a bed of risotto was nicely presented but the chicken was overdone and dry while the risotto was thick and pasty. By now I hadn't expected much more. The room service and the lounge were good save for some oddities. The server in the lounge presented my meal and drink along with the check. She stood over me waiting for me to pay for it before I even lifted a utensil. Room service wanted to charge a 15 pound "corking" charge to lend a corkscrew or bottle opener. They did relent after a short discussion and opened my beer bottle without charge although they couldn't leave a 50 p opener for me to use another time. Apparently they changed their mind the next day because a brand new bottle opener was left by the minibar.

Saturday night is hen night at the Coppid. This consists of an unseemly number of women in outlandish party garb. Looked like good fun. It reminded me of Halloween in Las Vegas with Dennis Rodman; amusing yet frightening at the same time.

The staff was the nicest part of this establishment. Everyone was cheerful and helpful. They resolved the issue of the noisy room and nasty pigeons by upgrading me to a larger suite. They warned me that I may still hear noise on a Saturday night from the club below so I wore earplugs to block out the incessant thump, thump, thump of the evening’s music. The weeknights were pleasant.

The rooms were very clean and the beds comfortable. The triangular core of the building is unique with marvelous floor to ceiling tropical fish tanks on each floor. They are well maintained with a lovely selection of beautiful fish.

I believe my opinion was tainted by the horrible room I was first given even though I explicitly requested a quiet room. That room should be condemned. All in all it wasn't such a bad place once I was given a better room and the weekend was over. The Coppid may be a fun place to stay with family and friends. However, I wouldn't recommend it for business travellers who have to stay over a weekend.

Room Tip: The night club is noisy on the weekends. Rooms with connecting doors are noisy. Watch out for rooms...