“Look elsewhere if you are after comfort”

Pennant Hills Waldorf Apartment Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pennant Hills
Sydney, Australia
“Look elsewhere if you are after comfort”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

In Brief:

Stayed here two nights. It was so poor that I was thinking of staying on a friend's couch the second night and just forfeit my second nights cost.

PROS
Location (for Hills District)
Shower (Strong)

CONS
Noisy
Hard Beds
Dirty
Old TV
Leads on floor
Unkempt
Lacklust management

For those who want more details:

NOISY
I use to live in the area for many years and I believe that Pennant Hills Rd has more trucks travel down it than any other metropolitan road in Australia (sure someone will correct me). However for the convenience of its location (I had business in the Hills District of Sydney) I chose to stay here. However I requested a room on City View Road (quiet side). The room I got was bottom floor on the corner of City View and Pennant Hills Rd - couldn't have a pick a nosier room. Complained to the Manager and he checked my booking (4 days earlier) and admitted that my request for a quite room were there - but he could not ascertain if my request was taken into consideration or not. He admitted that he had never been into my room "ever" and did not know how bad it was! He asked me if I want to stay (they were booked out- but considering it was 7pm on a Sunday night, I did not like my chances of finding something elsewhere. He complained to me (a bit of shock to me) that he didn't like working there (having to deal with so many complaints) and that he was temporary. For this reason, I did not complain again to him. I thought that I would leave it for a couple of weeks to calm down before writing this review.

HARD BEDS
Rock hard. Two singles pushed together to make a King. I think that the dirty carpets may have been softer. My wife ended up crashing on the lounge the next day and was contemplating sleep there that night, except for the filth. Hard Beds with the noise of trucks rumbling past every minute after 4am makes this the worst sleep for $174p/n.

DIRTY
The balcony looks like it has not been cleaned in years. You can see for the dirt the pollution that this room is exposed to from it closeness to the busy road. As you can see in the photos, the carpets were filthy around the edges - looked like mould or could be pollution smog. The hotel just gave the look of a quick wipe over, not real deep cleaning has occurred in many years. Also unless you pay a cleaning fee of $40 per stay, you room only gets serviced weekly, even if you are there for two nights.

OLD TV
The TV was an old CRT 68cm TV. In post 2010 and the days of Digital TV Signals, this is a joke. Sound kept on hunting low and high. Hotel advertised FOXTEL, but only the most basic of basic of services. My free to view at home had more channels to select from. I would not waste the money on buying a foxtel movie as the TV quality would have ruined it. It not like I'm paying for a hostel - I think that $174p/n should give a reason level of facilities

LEADS on the FLOOR
The leads are for the TV and run directly behind the Dining Table. Very unsightly, but a OHS Trip hazard at the very least. They were too short to follow the skirting board. For a hostel, even a B&B, its quaint. For a International hotel chain, its contempt of its customers and not worth the $174p/n

UNKEMPT
As the epitome of the place, I thought that the half removed sticker on the Fridge summed up the attitude of the hotel staff in general - "I'll give it a try, but if I can't succeed, just move on"!

VALUE FOR MONEY
I think for overnighter I think that the room should be serviced with at least new coffees and a quick wipe over as $174p/n I think is not loose change. Poor TV, Noisy, Unkempt - for my $350 I just got the basic highway motel in the country that you pay $79p/n, but that would be discrediting those highway motels, at least the owner/manager is committed to his business!

LACKLUSTER MANAGEMENT
It is Management job to get off your bum and do random checks of rooms (cleanliness and facilities). The only place I saw the Manager was at the reception, or down in the basement parking lot have a cigarette. He had no answers, he looked depressed and as he was moving on, I chose not to burden him further more!

Room Tip: Ask for a City View side room top floor, but I think that your request will be ignored unless you c...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LJCM1968
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2012

cool place,very close to the railway station.modern apartment hotel accommodation,free parking.good breakfast.good facilities

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank dalebaron
Canberra Aust
Reviewed 23 February 2012

A well-maintained property and the best of those currently operating in the Pennant Hills/Thornleigh/Wahroonga areas. It is only a five minute drive from the Sydney Adventist Hospital and Abbotsleigh, Barker and Knox colleges. We had a studio apartment which was comprised a decent sized room with king size bed and a well equipped kitchenette (including fridge and dishwasher). The room itself was spotlessly clean and we spent a very comfortable night. Another bonus was the ample underground parking. Whilst the hotel is not ideally placed for city sightseeing, it is only a five minute walk from the railway station and the main line into the city. Eating out is not a problem as there are plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby. The property is non-smoking however each floor has a balcony for smokers.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from Pennant Hills road are quieter
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ROHCanberraAust
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Our stay at the Waldorf was very enjoyable, and I'm hoping the trade show will be held at the same place next year so we can return.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, with instant service when we called to ask for extras. The room was light, airy, clean, and welcoming. The bed was VERY comfy and I slept well.
We ate brekky at the restaurant, and this was also a lovely experience. The food was delcious, appropriately hot or cold, and the atmosphere relaxing.
I definitely recommend the Waldorf in Pennanat Hills for anyone staying in the Pennanat hills to Parramatta area. It is also in easy walking distance of . the train station, buses and taxis.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank kagan9898
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The studio apartment was quite spacious and very clean. Needs a bit of refurbishment but has everything you need. Nice to have a little kitchen and lounge area. Good rate at $150/night, as long as you request a room on the city side or traffic noise from Pennant Hills Road might be a problem. No parking for larger 4WD so you have to park in the street. There is a good Sri Lankin/Indian restaurant on the ground floor which is very handy. Would definitely stay there again as the location near friends suits us.

Room Tip: Request city side of apartment building to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
9.0 km away
Novotel Sydney Norwest
Novotel Sydney Norwest
#2 of 2 in Baulkham Hills

Been to Pennant Hills Waldorf Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK