“Excellent ”

Ranked #1 of 60 Restaurants in Alfreton
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Recently under new management the Plough did a promotion on Groupon for 2 courses for 2 people and I'm so happy that they did. Having never been before I will definitely be back.
The staff were lovely very obliging and capable. While we were there another diner had a medical emergency. This was handled professionally with empathy and discretion in order not to interrupt other diners.
The starters were very good my husband had deep fried brie in tempura batter. Not the pre packed frozen stuff in breadcrumbs. My garlic and cream mushrooms on ciabatta was delicious.
Mains we were spoilt for choice the gentleman on the next table had fish and chips this looked fab but I opted for the pork 3ways it came with mash but the chips looked so good I asked for them. I wasn't disappointed. My husband had the pie of the day which was steak and dijon mustard this he said was amazing and full of tender meat.
I only had a small problem and this is why I didn't give the full 5 stars I would have liked to give 4 and a half. It is a very old building I know but both my husband and myself were cold I will have to ask for a warmer table next time.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Warm welcome, good service, nice food and a characteristic family pub. Waitress went the extra mile and gave me a tub of ice to take back to the BnB for my gin and tonic.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Visited here for a family reunion lunch for 8 of us on a Bank Holiday. We arrived early and had drinks in the bar area while waiting for the rest of our party. Lovely helpful friendly staff, and their own Plough Inn beer is very nice. We transferred to our table when the others arrived, and had great service, our orders taken as soon as we said we were ready. First courses arrived quite quickly, the deep fried Brie was amazing! Main courses took a bit longer to arrive, but it was very busy and they were a chef down, so we weren't surprised. They served all members of the party together. All the meals were excellent, generous portions and nicely presented. Desserts were delicious. The pub has a big free car park, and an outside seating area, but as there was snow the day we visited, it was not in use! Nice pub, will visit again. Only a couple of minor niggles. Loos clean but could do with a refurbishment, and the whole place was cold, we had to keep coats on, don't know if they had turned off heating when it was warmer last week, but as it was only 3 degrees today it could have done with turning on again!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Excellent food. Quality & value. Beautiful fresh vegetables. Lovely environment with fabulous views. Only complaint would be the service, which was slow & inconsistent.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My friends booked this as a surprise celebration, so I had no idea in advance where we were going until we arrived.
The venue has lots of character, as do the team, so we soon felt comfortable.
Very impressed with the food. The menu choice was well thought out with some French classics as well as everyone’s pub favourites - fantastic to see Fillet steak Rossini on a menu, for example, which was delicious.
The folk on the next table said their fish was great too.
Enjoyed a relaxing drink in the comfortable seating area after the meal, chatting to the friendly locals and team.
Warm and welcoming with great food. Thank you!

2  Thank TheHippyHippo