Burton's Sunset Oasis Motel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Merry's Motel(Cheticamp)
View Hotel
All reviewsmeat covewhale watchingcape bretoncabot trailsurrounding hillslobstershellfishquick phone callsun setsco op storethe atlantic oceandegree viewneeded a place to staybig roomstunning sunsetsbeautiful spotcoffee maker
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I struggle with whether to give BSOM a 3 or a 4 and have settled on a 3. The proprietor is a friendly woman who will greet you and set you up in your room. Because there is only one tv channel, she has a great selection of old movies and VCRs in every room. We selected Cliffhanger - which we just as good as I remembered it. There really are beautiful sunsets visible from this elevated location above Bay St. Lawrence. The rooms are very clean and well kept, although the furniture and decor is somewhat older. However, BSL is a remote fishing village so the room is as expected. I would stay here again on my next trip to BSL.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights over the holiday weekend period.The room was a good size, clean with comfortable bed and nice kitchen. There is only one TV station but a selection of mostly older videos is available.However,I did point out to Debbie that the kitchen needs to have more stuff to clean with as you need to cook and clean up most nights, as the nearest restaurant is around a 25 minute drive.There is a small cafe down the hill, but if you are arriving late with no food, it is a drive to go back and get something.I was aware of this, but others who checked in while I was there were not. The motel has a great view, but it can be very windy in that area.The board in the motel check-in gives a list of activities and I would recommend getting loster/crab from the local shop, whale watching(either cruise or looking from the motel),hiking the great trails in Cape Breton NP(about 30minutes to 1 hour drive),watching the sunsets, but Meat cove was a bit disappointing.Nice, but Cape Breton NP is much better. If the wind is really strong from the north direction for a day or so you can walk down to the jetty and watch the big waves.The one thing I will emphasize is that it is very quiet up there if you want a nice break from the main tourist areas.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Wow! I love this place!! I actually arranged our trip to get a reservation to stay here one night. We ran across another couple who had spent the night before and they raved on the sunset, so it is possible, however, it rained that day and was misty and foggy and we did not see the sunset. It was very windy as well. This is the cleanest place and I was glad there was a little kitchenette. After doing our research, we knew restaurants were sparce, so we went grocery shopping and bought soup and stuff for sandwiches and had a nice, cozy supper. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was spotless and good shower! We had a nice breakfast of fruit and toast and coffee. I enjoyed talking with Mrs. Burton. I can tell she is very proud to offer a good place to stay and she takes pride in offering such a clean place which she says she cleans herself so it will be cleaned to her standards. We really, really enjoyed it and I urge you to take the time to drive off the Cabot Trail and visit here. Yeah, there is only one TV station...so..bring a book or a game to play!!

Room Tip: Get close to the office for good Wi-FI service..
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2012

The location is good and it has a half or the whole hill.
Only the weather didn't help we didn't get a chance to see sunset.
the price is not friendly for family with kids,they charge extra person($28?) no matter what age they are.and there is not much for kids to do since there is no tv program.
Bathroom should have a window to make ventilation better.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Johnny C
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I have stayed at this motel twice and both times I was astounded with the glorious view from the site of the motel. (This is much more than a motel and I wish the owners would find another term to use.) The 'motel' is made up of five units that are spacious, clean, sound proof and self-contained. Sunset viewed from Burton's is a sight to behold that will not be forgotten. Just when you think it can't get better...the view down into the 'village' is so quaint, so lovely. Burton's sits atop a hill, surrounded by mountains, and hills and...the water! You can see the harbour and boats from the hill and at night the sky is pitch black with sparkling stars! And if you are really luck, you'll see a storm blowing in! I look forward to my next visit there - and cannot recommend it highly enough!

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room for the view - there are benches outside to sit on at night and parking is over to the side so your view is never impeded by vehicles. There's a little food stand at the bottom of the hill and there are microwaves and stoves in every room if you want to cook.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple