All reviewsafternoon teamellington hallsandwichesdining roomcaravan parklog firesunday lunchcouldn't do enoughwedding venuecooked to perfectionbeautiful buildingpuddingevening meallong driverelaxing weekendlambcheesecake
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Booked for 4 a night stay and checked out after first night.
Sadly as it seems the hotel is closing down and it has also been run down. No staff after 9pm and we were asked to ensure front door was locked after we went back inside at 9:10 to find everything in darkness.
No heating in room and it was a chilly evening. Only 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel for my wife and I to share.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HS0404
Reviewed 7 September 2017

My husband and I stayed for one night at this hotel, and I am so pleased that we had not booked for more than that one night.

The approach to the hotel is impressive and the building looks magnificent being Victorian Gothic , I believe. However , it seems that, apart from the tower at the left side of the building, which is used as the hotel , the rest is closed off and derelict.

Once we entered the entrance hall, we were met by the smell of stale cooking and general mustiness. It just did not smell clean and welcoming.The receptionist was, at best surly as she explained how to get to our room, without asking if we needed help with the luggage or offering to show us the way.

The room itself was not properly clean with dust on the table and on the shelf above the sink. General debris and a peanut could be seen on the carpet and a small bird feather graced the chaise longue whilst flies decorated the window cill.The windows were closed when we went into the room.

There were no toiletries in the bathroom other than big bottles of body wash , shampoo and body lotion which were still sticky from the previous user. No shower hats, cotton wool balls , make up pads,etc. but dressing robes were hanging in the bathroom and the shower was very good.

The complimentary tea tray in the room had a few open teabags, non descript economy biscuits , not even with the makers name on the packet , and no milk. We did not partake of these items , not being sure how long they had been there.

Once in the bar for pre-prandial drinks, there was more disappointment . The only gin available was Gordons which was poured into a glass with the tonic, a slice of lemon added and then handed to us. We asked for ice, which meant the young lady pulled a face and went off to the kitchen to get ice. This young lady was not the miserable receptionist but another member of staff.

We were given two conflicting dinner menus as well as the bar menu, but once having verified which was that evening's menu made our choice and waited for dinner.

We were shown into the dining room which had tables in various stages of being set or not having been properly cleared . Many used tealights were still in their holders and left on a table. The only flowers in there were in a vase of dirty water but no flowers or candles on the tables.We had expected the dining room to be very elegant as seen in photographs, but even the wine glasses were of the cheap and nasty variety .

Dinner duly arrived. The cod loin served to my husband looked grey as did the chicken wrapped in bacon served to me. The food was luke warm served on very hot plates. A miniscule dish of vegetables was put on the table which included carrots. The potatoes to go with the chicken never appeared. The chicken was dry and the outer part tough and the bacon wrapped around it was hard with an edging of white fat . The whole meal tasted as if it had been reheated in some form,especially as the carrots were slimy rubber in texture, but certainly could not be described as being freshly prepared for us that evening. The food was sent back to the kitchen and we asked if there was a chef on duty, and if so, could we discuss the meal with him. We were assured that the chef had freshly prepared everything but he had now " gone upstairs". The young waitress said she would deduct the cost of the meal from our bill.

The bed was not particularly comfortable as the pillows were quite flat, so I did not sleep well.

There was a thirty minute wait for breakfast to be cooked and served , but in the meantime we were able to help ourselves to fruit and cereals from the buffet table. This buffet sideboard was also in need of a good clean as there were crumbs and dust present. One of the teacups had to be changed as it was dirty.

The table where we had been sitting for dinner the previous evening still had our used napkins on it and had not been properly cleared.
The butter pats tasted rancid.

As we checked out, it was to find that we had been charged for the inedible meal, but the surly receptionist did, in fact deduct this cost.

It is not as if the hotel was busy ..... we were the only 2 guests staying that night ! Having really looked forwards to staying in what seemed, from photographs, a beautiful country hotel, the reality was incredibly disappointing.

Would we stay there again or recommend this place to friends ? Certainly not !

Room Tip: Don't go there !
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Seggiesmoggie
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on my birthday for one night
On arrival we were greeted by 2 lovely ladies and a gentlemen who offer to carry our bags
After checking in my husband and I wanted to book a taxi as we had tickets to the Jersey Boys, the hotel kindly offered to book for us.

Breakfast was lovely, everything from continental to full English

Lovely hotel
Beautiful scenery
Definitely worth a visit

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2017

My wife and I booked one night here as a stopover en-route to North Wales. It was very reasonable and we didn't expect it to be extra ordinary. However, we both agreed that this hotel was one of the nicest country hotels we have ever used. The location is fantastic, the grounds in front of the hotel are wonderful and the building itself is fabulous - but the hotel's charm is more than the sum of its parts, the charm lies in the wonderful olde world charm conveyed by the staff and the overall ambience. We stayed on a Thurs night in late Aug, we only saw two other guests, and only interacted with three different staff members - this was great for us as we felt that we were guests in a country house. We sat outside, enjoying a cuppa and the sun and wished we were able to stay another night. I gather the current management team are departing shortly and I sincerely hope that the new team maintain the look and feel of this wonderful gem of a hotel. We had dinner which was wholesome and plentiful, and breakfast which was excellent.

Room Tip: Front facing, with views across the meadows
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Horrendous experience. Booked as a family to get some rest on a long drive. When we booked there was no mention on their website that there was a wedding. Had we known this we would not have stayed as the reason we booked was to get sleep. From 7pm onwards the noise from the wedding was horrendous to the point hat my husband and I could not talk to each other or watch TV. At 9pm I complained to the receptionist who was unhelpful. By midnight I still had not slept and the noise escalated still further as drunk guests shouted and swore at each other right under our window. Clearly as parents this was not what we had hoped for our family room. I phoned the receptionist again at this point and said this was a disgrace and that they should never have sold us the room. The receptionist said "we would sort it in the morning". First thing in the morning I took my 2 year old out for a walk to see the sheep and was greeted by the sight of bottles and broken glass lying on the ground from the wedding the night before. We decided to check out without having breakfast as we were exhausted from a lack of sleep and wanted to get away. On checking out I was stunned when the same receptionist to whom I had complained to twice the night before demanded full payment for the room (£200 in total). I explained that I had had a dreadful stay and hadn't slept. She was incredibly rude and stated we were lucky to have had a room, at least we had got some sleep after midnight and therefore should pay the full amount. I offered to pay for the food we had had (which was excellent) and the laundry but the receptionist would not accept this and argued that we were being "unreasonable". A disgusting way to treat people and frankly they should be ashamed. Also, we paid for a laundry and drying service and were handed back a bag of wet towels. A horrific experience and one that we would never repeat. I will also be writing a formal complaint to the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank paulina_1001
Claire E, Owner at Mellington Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2017

Thank you for your taking the time to review your stay at Mellington Hall Hotel. As you may have seen from more recent reviews, we, the owners of Mellington Hall Hotel, have taken back control of the Hall since the tenants vacated at the end of October.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience when you stayed at Mellington due to the noise from a wedding that was taking place downstairs. You may be interested to learn that Mellington Hall Hotel will no longer be advertised as a "wedding venue", but more as a Country House Hotel where guests can relax in the beautiful and tranquil surroundings and enjoy their stay with us.

We have made every effort to improve our guests' experience, having made many positive changes to the Hall and I sincerely hope that you will find the time to come and visit us again to see for yourself, the improvements that we have made.

We would love to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards.