“Overnight stay”
Review of Shibden Mill Inn

Shibden Mill Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Shibden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Booked 3 doubles for one night as a number of us were attending a wedding in Halifax.
10 out of 10 for all rooms (5,8 & 9). Breakfast was enjoyed by all 6 of us as all tastes and requirements were catered for.
Would not look anywhere else, the rooms immaculate, the staff attentive and very helpful, and the setting in which you find this hotel is delightful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I lived near this area growing up and always had fond memories of this place, so I booked it one afternoon for some friends and I to have lunch. Sadly I was thoroughly disappointed, this place has changed - having gained quite a reputation and awards it seems to have decided that it can over charge for everything forgetting its Yorkshire roots in the process.
We arrived around 12.40, bought some drinks (warning bells did sound when i had to pay £1.75 for half a lager - just to compare a pub round the corner chargese £2.35 for a pint so £1.75 for a half is steep for yorkshire) and then sat outside, requesting menus that we were not brought but we went back in for them, and then when it started to rain decided to decamp inside. My friends ordered ciabatta sandwiches and I ordered a two course set menu for 12 pounds, pakoras to start and liver and mash for main. My friends also ordered olives and bread (at the cost if £3.60 for the olives and £3 for the bread we expected high quality of both) the bread was home made and quite nice but the olives were old bitter and came in a tiny pot, there can't have been more than 8-10 of them and they were small. The kind of portion that you usually get complimentary in places like Spain. Just to compare - in Jamie Oliver restaurants you get huge fresh green olives imported from Italy with bread to accompany for £3.75. To be blunt if you're going to charge over 3 quid for some olives they need to be pretty damn special - theses ones just repeated on me for the rest of the day!
Back to the real issue - my pakora was fine, quite fasty but only three small pieces. That didn't concern me too much until my main arrived which consisted of around 5 literally bite size pieces of liver swimming in watery gravy with a small bowl of mash. A couple of pieces of the liver were virtually raw. I hate over cooked liver but did send this back, all the while still trying to get my head round the portion size! I've eaten in many types of restaurants all over the world including several Michelin starred ones, and I've never seen over served like this in my life and I'm incredulous that a restaurant with this reputation thinks it's acceptable. I chose this dish expecting as you would
usually a couple of long strips of liver, this was liken a starter portion. When the liver came back to the table some of it was still undercooked and some was chewy. With a portion this size I did at the very least expect it to be edible. I complained and the waitress asked me what else I'd like, so I ordered a steak sandwich. Its also worth mentioning that at this point it's going on for 2.20pm so we didn't have speedy service either which at lunch is not good enough. The worst part of this whole experience was when the bill came however. For some reason they'd included two lots of £12 for the set menu - only one of us ordered the set menu and I sent that back twice! Considering the fact that we waited over an hour for our food,mine was sent back twice, I then had to wait even longer for mine and eat on my own,I did expect this to be reflected in the menu but sadly no. When the manager realised that £24 had been wrongly added on the bill he was happy to take that off but still expected me to pay for my steak sandwich (just about acceptable but not what you expect when you've been somewhere over two hours and had all the issues we'd had) and my starter which was part of the £12 deal, because in his words 'I'd eaten it hadn't I' !
He actually argued with me about this in the middle of the restaurant - I pointed out that they hadn't kept their part of the deal on the second course - prices weren't separate for these dishes, and the main had been unacceptable. I was happy to pay for the sandwich which I had to eat on my own over two hours after we'd arrived but most places wouldn't have expected you to pay for either.
The guy was rude and spoilt the whole afternoon, for which we'd had the pleasure of paying over 50 pounds for 3 sandwiches, some bread, olives and a couple of glasses of wine and some soft drinks,believe me that's quite a lot in Yorkshire!
Seems like they want it both ways, they want to behave like a fancy restaurant that over charges four simple pleasures such as olives and bread, but when it comes manners, customer service and dealing with customer complaints they're suddenly not so high brow. I'm a real foodie and have travelled round the country to places such as Ludlow in search of good food and have been to Gordon Ramsey's three Michelin starred restaurant, where they wouldn't dream of serving you a few bite sized chunks of meat. Places like Shibden Mill Inn think this makes them classy when actually its old fashioned and tacky and very bad value for money. We all went and got some crisps afterwards because we were still hungry - really not a good sign eh? Yorkshire is renown for good value, high quality food, and pride and honesty in what they deliver. This places failed on every aspect, how disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Clancy87
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I found the Shibden Mill Inn within The Good Food guide and decided to pay a visit one Saturday late July with my partner......
The food was superb, the staff were professional & friendly and the wine list extensive.
Since my first visit I've taken my sister and brother in law for Sunday lunch which was without doubt the best value (£12) and tastiest Sunday lunch I've had in months! I also paid a visit after work with my partner to have a couple of drinks outside and our dinner, again the food cannot be faulted with professional bar staff and waiting staff. It's a great find and would recommend anyone to try this place, the food cannot be faulted and I've recommended to many a friend and family, compliments to the chefs/management/employees it's how a place should be run with exceptional food coming out of the kitchen!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I have been here several times over the last few months and I have to say I love the atomosphere and the staff are lovely and friendly. Great bar with very good wines. I dont find the menu hugely inspiring but that could say more about me than their menu. On the whole I would say food i would say the food is good. If your like burgers they d a great one on their 'comfort foods' menu, but I would definatley avoid the fish and chips - not good at all.....
Onr thing i do love about this place is the desserts, they are amazing esp the assiette!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Good, quiet, location, handy for most Yorkshire towns. Professional, friendly staff. Really excellent room (number 3) for the price. Underfloor heating,.fluffy towels and robes in the bathroom. Breakfast - food, choice, service and setting - all far above average. Only slight flaw, dinner was very much on the lines and prices of most gastropubs.

Room Tip: Room £ has a private patio and is ground floor. A big bed and all the trimmings you would get in any...