“The Ayurvedic retreat center”

Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chowara
Reviewed 25 January 2012

The wonderful experience with ayurvedic retreat and very calmful atmosphere with a good service and the keralite style guest relation near the capital city of the state and the international beach. You can easly reach the airport and the bus station from here and also the shopping centers.

Room Tip: the atmosphere with beach and ayurvedic
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Johnchamathackal
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort

Reviewed 14 January 2012

First, there are 2 Somatheeram resorts side by side but with different management as Nora has pointed out. This could be quite confusing, and the one I'm reviewing is the one without the pool (but had access to the one next door), and that has the orange sun logo. I stayed for 7 days in December and had the Ayurvedic rejuvenation package: food, treatments, yoga, accommodation, transfers and a day trip all inclusive.

The positives: I thought it was good value, in a beautiful setting, delicious food, friendly staff, very pleasant accommodation. Some people may expect more luxurious accommodation but the garden cottages were pretty and nicely decorated. I enjoyed most of the yoga classes, and the dining area which overlooked the beach below.

The Ayurvedic treatment - I have nothing to compare this with so a certain amount has to be taken on good faith. The massages were very pleasant and relaxing, but the medical staff didn't speak a lot of English and I really would've liked much more information about my treatments and about the Ayurveda approach to health. It was surprising that an Ayurvedic resort had very little information or even any books about Ayurveda, particularly when it's geared to the western tourist market. The again, I'm a researcher by training so perhaps needing to know is more important to me than it might be to others. When on one occasion, I asked my doctor about my pulse ( a standard method of diagnosis) and diet - he clearly became rather irritable, as if it wasn't the patient's role to ask questions. Despite this, I got the sense that the Ayurveda was very squarely aimed at the western tourist and less palatable treatments such as drinking loads of ghee each day were omitted from any regime.

The yoga was generally very good and well paced. However, I had a lower back problem and as a yoga practitioner I know what positions might aggravate it. Despite letting the instructor know about this, when doing a particular asana which required me to bend a lot he insisted on pushing my back forwards - a complete no no!! I think there may have been a cultural attitude of the instructor/medico knows best, something that in the west doesn't always sit comfortably.

One last thing - I traveled alone and had hoped that there'd be opportunity to meet others traveling alone, but this wasn't the case. The dining area was set up for couples, the majority of guests, but a communal table would've been good for the few single guests. There really wasn't other opportunities to meet people, which made my stay there rather quiet.

Room Tip: The garden cottages were worth the little extra
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
10  Thank emstar3
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This resort is providing very authenticate ayurvedic treatments, those who wants to feel ayurveda, and close beach definitely you will enjoy somatheeram. Staffs are very friendly and the guest relations executives meet you everyday, get the feedback and efficiently manage it. We enjoyed the stay and treatment.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eien s
Reviewed 20 December 2011

This place is mostly for ayurvedic treatments, which the staff also pointed out at arrival. We came there just for relaxing a couple of days without treatments, and my review is written from that perspective

Warm welcoming and briefing. Our accomodation was okay - bathroom somewhat simple. Mosquitonet and "smoke treatment" could however not keep away from our bed :-( If I should go again, I would prefer an aircon room.

The location is good, with views to the fishermen`s beach. However no place in the garden to sit and enjoy the views. The cottages has some outdoor furniture, but in a bad repair, and many are located with no views.

Pool at the sister property, which you also walk throught to go down to the "hotel beach". By the way the sister property looked nicer and better kept. Complimentary sunbeds and umbrellas at the beach. A bit of hassle of sellers. Beautiful sunsets from the beach. However it officially "close" at 5:30, sunbeds and umbrellas stoved away.

The restaurant cares for the various diets of those on treatments with buffet meals. One or two non veg dishes at the buffett, at evening you could pay extra for BBQ food. They killed a snake one evening in the restaurant. Appearently a non posionous small thing, but still - a snake. Beer and wine available. Be prepared to dine with people smelling herbal oils and wearing dressing gowns - it is a natural part of an ayrvedic resort.

Avoid having laundry done. It took ages, and smelled very funny when it arrived. Had to send it to cleaning at the next resort to get rid of the smell.

Not suitable for disabled or with poor walking ability, lots of stairs, steep paths.

Various tours and activities offered. Do not book taxi throught the reception - at daytime there will taxi drivers outside the gate which charge you less than half the price!

In addition to the ayrvedic centre, there is also a "beauty salon" which offers manicure, facials and so on. Pleasant staff and ok service there

As much as I liked the views to the fishermen`s beach and the sunset at the beach, I would probably stay in Kovalam next time - for better dining and more to do.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a real beach view from the sitting area. I guess the more expensive have the best v...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank abcnord
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Somatheeram: one name for two different Resorts. The differences are more important than the similarities. They both are situated on a hill overlooking the ocean. They share the pool and stairs leading to the sea, these two equipments are on the field of the neighboring Somatheeram Ayurvedic Resort (with a logo with a big S). Here I’ll talk about the Somatheeram Ayurveda (logo with an orange sun). Originally, both places were just one Resort which belonged to two brothers. Today, each brother runs his own Resort under almost the same name. It’s confusing. They share a bit of common infrastructure (road to the pool and sea).
For the rest, many things are quite different. Unfortunately, we had already paid full price in advance for a stay of two weeks at the Ayurveda. Otherwise, we would have changed to the Ayurvedic.
The location
The situation is idyllic, on the heights overlooking the beach of Chowara, south of Kovalam. At the foot of the hil: fishing villages, a place of Christian worship ... and a cemetery. The garden of the Resort, like anywhere in Kerala, is nice and surrounded by lush vegetation.

The cottages
There is no central hotel-building, but a set of rudimentary cottages with well-functioning bathrooms. In this part of the country where it is easily 32 degrees with 85% humidity, the majority of these homes have no air conditioning, just a fan. Against all logic, the two windows are on the same side, preventing the possibility to have some air circulating. We were forced to leave the door open hoping to cool down the air. When it rains (which was the case every day for several hours during, late October and early November 2011), there is no possibility to stay outside and to be sheltered watching the rain fall. Only the expensive Kerala Houses have a small sheltered terrace. The Resort has no library or coffee- shop, where you could stay to read during the rainy season.

The reception
As everywhere in Kerala, the traveler is welcomed with jasmine flowers and coconut juice on his arrival at the resort. But we were quickly disappointed by the lack of professionalism. Only one person spoke English properly. The other employees knew just few words.

The restaurant
An impressive number of employees spin around inefficiently in the hall of the restaurant. We couldn’t understand what their roles were. When we asked one person to clean a table, the request passed from one waiter to another, with no guarantee of success. When someone finally came to set the table, he generally didn’t bother to remove the remains of salt or rice left by previous guests on the tablecloth. When we ordered some tea, it happened that it was served 20 minutes later or just forgotten. A waiter would get rid of one dirty plate leaving the other two - dirty too - on the table, etc... We had the feeling that the employees were physically present but mentally absent, taken in their dreams.

The food
A large buffet is set up at each meal, with a variety of dishes. But the food is bland, tasteless, mostly overcooked. If you arrive at two pm, the food is usually cold because the cooks forget to turn on the gas under the pans at the buffet. Three days after our arrival, we discovered by chance that we could also order a la carte, since we were on a full-board basis. Nothing is clear in this hotel; one has to discover everything by himself. The real scandal, however, for this establishment dedicated to Aurveda, are the signs denoting foods. In the Ayurvedic tradition one chooses his food according to his two Doshas. The signs were purely fanciful, such as a combination of the three elements together (Vatha Pitta Kapha). Our Ayurvedic doctor told us that there should be a maximum of two elements in one dish. That didn’t reassure us about the seriousness of Somatheeram Ayurveda. Of course, nobody in the restaurant did speak enough English to explain us the reason of these mistakes. We were expecting a diet tailored to our needs. We were disappointed.

The Rejuvenating Cure
We had come for a cure of 14 days. They promised us, two hours of daily treatment. In fact, it was mostly an hour and a half. The meeting with the doctor was a standardized cold ritual, without any warmth or empathy. Until the end of our stay we were identified by your room number and not by our name. The ayurvedic masseuses knew barely ten words in English. Communication was therefore limited to the order "Sit! » and the question, «OK?”. The massage oil had a rancid smell and was mostly too hot. During the massage, other employees kept coming in and out disturbing our tranquility.

Poor hygiene
Once you arrive at the Ayurvedic center, you must take off your shoes. So your feet pick up a lot of dust (and mine also a plantar wart). The masseuses then spread out this dirt from the feet all over the body. It feels pretty bad. After a few days, I allowed myself to ask them to clean my feet before starting the full body massage. I didn’t ask how they cleaned the wooden beds on which we laid naked and took our oil baths. I also wondered with other tourists what they did with the gallons of used oil. We thought that they reuse for other clients.

Yoga
I was looking forward to yoga classes. Since I couldn’t attend the group lessons, I took four or five private lessons. The teacher was unable to take into account my physical condition. He even pushed on my back for a stretch, causing back pain that lasted several days. I watched the beginner’s classes taught by a woman at the other Soomatheeram Resort, they seemed much more appropriate!

Tips
In several hotels in Kerala, the customers are invited not to give individual tips but rather to put them in a box at the reception; the money is then distributed equally among the staff. It’s a great idea. At the Somatheeram everybody is expecting a tip. The therapist of my husband explicitly asked if he would give him a good tip and mentioned an amount of 200 dollars!

In conclusion
We did not get the impression of personalized care. We were treated as anonymous customers. "Room-number! » said in a peremptory way was the usual greeting. It seemed us that the English word "please" didn’t exist at the Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort. In our opinion, it is not an Ayurvedic clinic, but a bad beach resort. I refuse to attribute to cultural differences the lack of competence of the hotel staff. Ten days in Kerala, before arriving at this Resort, have shown us that three-star hotels with adequate English-speaking staff are not an exception. These hotels were not more expensive then the Somatheeram. Their staff was better trained and perhaps better paid.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
34  Thank Nora1291
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chowara
6.3 km away
0.3 km away
Ideal Ayurvedic Resort
Ideal Ayurvedic Resort
#1 of 2 in Chowara

Been to Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK