This place is mostly for ayurvedic treatments, which the staff also pointed out at arrival. We came there just for relaxing a couple of days without treatments, and my review is written from that perspective
Warm welcoming and briefing. Our accomodation was okay - bathroom somewhat simple. Mosquitonet and "smoke treatment" could however not keep away from our bed :-( If I should go again, I would prefer an aircon room.
The location is good, with views to the fishermen`s beach. However no place in the garden to sit and enjoy the views. The cottages has some outdoor furniture, but in a bad repair, and many are located with no views.
Pool at the sister property, which you also walk throught to go down to the "hotel beach". By the way the sister property looked nicer and better kept. Complimentary sunbeds and umbrellas at the beach. A bit of hassle of sellers. Beautiful sunsets from the beach. However it officially "close" at 5:30, sunbeds and umbrellas stoved away.
The restaurant cares for the various diets of those on treatments with buffet meals. One or two non veg dishes at the buffett, at evening you could pay extra for BBQ food. They killed a snake one evening in the restaurant. Appearently a non posionous small thing, but still - a snake. Beer and wine available. Be prepared to dine with people smelling herbal oils and wearing dressing gowns - it is a natural part of an ayrvedic resort.
Avoid having laundry done. It took ages, and smelled very funny when it arrived. Had to send it to cleaning at the next resort to get rid of the smell.
Not suitable for disabled or with poor walking ability, lots of stairs, steep paths.
Various tours and activities offered. Do not book taxi throught the reception - at daytime there will taxi drivers outside the gate which charge you less than half the price!
In addition to the ayrvedic centre, there is also a "beauty salon" which offers manicure, facials and so on. Pleasant staff and ok service there
As much as I liked the views to the fishermen`s beach and the sunset at the beach, I would probably stay in Kovalam next time - for better dining and more to do.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Somatheeram is the world of authentic Ayurveda. A serene Aryurvedic resort by the sea in South India. Here you can benefit from traditional Ayurvedic therapy as well as yoga in a blissfully peaceful environment. It is one of the best tourism spots in Kerala, India. Located at Chowara Beach on a hillock 9 km south of the famous Kovalam Beach, Trivandrum, Kerala with over 15 acres of greenery all around.And for houseboat trip in kollam u can visit our kollam allseason backwater resort .. search for allseason kollam ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, ClearTrip, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Somatheeram Ayurveda Hotel Chowara
- Somatheeram Ayurvedic Beach Hotel
- Somatheeram Ayurveda Resort Kerala/Chowara, India