“First time in years”

Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Islip
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

For the first time in years, we thought we would give it a go. We had a nice quite evening meal, no rush, just a really relaxing evening. The food was good and staff helpful . We will be back

Terri R, General Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Glad you enjoyed yourselves! See you soon

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were expecting better from the Jacobs Inn group, but our family lunch was distinctly average. We waited 30 mins for a burger, goats cheese salad and chips. The burger was very over cooked and served with watercress that was bruised and wilted and the goats cheese salad minimal for the money. Service was also poor with the waitress forgetting our extra portion of chips. They were then delivered to the adjoining table. The Jacobs brand fails to deliver the upmarket country pub experience it promised. The beer was good and they did give us extra goats cheese crockets after we complained that the goats cheese salad was minimal, 2x small goats cheese crockett balls the size of ping pong balls. I am not happy paying premium prices, £14,50 for burger, £7 for small goats cheese salad, £3.50 for chips and they charged £1.50 for bread.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Forgot to write a review the last time we visited about a month ago. However, being served the best roast ever (again) has prompted me to review it this time around! We've always enjoyed the food & atmosphere at the Jacobs pubs, the Red Lion is no different...the standard of food is as good as ever; we all enjoyed our roast beef & belly pork, with gravy & apple sauce on tap (as requested!) The kids love the sausage & mash, the mac cheese & the mini roasts. The puddings were delicious too (the 'special' chocolate fondant with rosemary ice cream won't be forgotten in a hurry) All served with charm & a smile. You get what you pay for here; & we don't mind one bit if it guarantees a lovely lunch. We'll be back again soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was very excited to find out my local pub had been taken over by the Jacobs brand as they have a great reputation and I have had enjoyable experiences at the Headington and Wolvercote branches.

Met friends for breakfast on a Saturday morning and unfortunately had to wait a long time. I had never been served stone cold poached eggs until then, the whole meal was cold and totally bland so I had to put lashings of mustard on to liven it up. My partner has been back since and again had a cold breakfast. For £13 odd quid with a coffee I felt ripped off.
A work colleague visited on mother's day and also was disappointed with the food given the price of it.

This is a shame as it's a beautiful pub inside in a great location but I feel this particular branch is dragging the Jacob's name down. Need to sort the quality of food and prices, terribly dear for what you get.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Have been in to this pub many times and it really is a lovely place the food is good although a tad expensive. Today the bar area was fairly busy unlike the restaurant side the poor guy behind the bar was doing his best and I believe is still new to the job. The manageress eventually came to give him a hand but boy is she rude I don’t think she understands the roll of the job at all and maybe needs a lesson or two in customer services certainly not suited to life in a village pub

3  Thank gordonsmith007
Terri R, General Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Hi there

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, I would love to get more details from you as to what happened so we can move forward to resolve it. Please feel free to get me on info@redlionislip.com.

Best regards