“Disappointed and not had a reply back from Manager !,”

Port Lympne Reserve
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Lympne
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Port Lympne Hotel & Reserve offers exciting days out in Kent filled with discovery for the entire family. Set in 600 acres, and housing over 650 rare and endangered animals, Port Lympne offers a treat for everyone.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I’m very disappointed I’m a good customer, I booked two tree house rooms last year and for my Husbands Birthday I booked the Tiger lodge for us and the Tree lodge for my 3 friends. I had read on Trip advisor that there was only one tiger in the Tiger lodge. I emailed to see if this was right and was told there are 3 but no guarantees if you see them the tiger lodge garden, as obviously they roam on their own accord. We waited and waited and got up early morning 5 am but nothing only one tiger for the first 5 mins of our stay. I found the tiger keeper as we were leaving the next day to be told the 2 young ones were in fact locked away so could not access the lodge area. If I had known this I wouldn’t have paid such a huge amount to stay. The basket of treats and sparkling wine we were never told were complimentary and I’d read that the treats in mini bar were expensive. It would have been nice to have been told these were included. I’ve sent 2 emails to the Manager but have had nothing back. The lodge was cold, heating wasn’t on, no water beside beds. Luckily we lit the fire. We weren’t told there was a new baby llama and we saw no buses to take us around the African safari. Had I had an apology I may have gone back. Very dissatisfying. The food in the evening however was delicious in the main house. To the Manager for not replying to my emails Shame on you. Good luck with your new Tiger lodge that’s being built because £900:00 per night isn’t cheap especially when the tigers are locked away !,

1  Thank Lulu1313
HowlettsPortLympne, Manager at Port Lympne Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear Lulu1313,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay at Tiger Lodge, we would like to take a moment to address your points made.

Tiger Lodge is one of our newest accommodation offerings at the park opening in the summer of 2017, so far the feedback has been exceptional from all our guests. We are concerned by the content of your review and would like to take a moment to clarify the issues.

As you know the Aspinall Foundation is a registered charity and all the team work tirelessly day in day out for all the animals in our care, with top priority being our animals.

As you mention we have three tigers currently in the enclosure next to our Tiger Lodge accommodation, you have been passed on the correct information from our reservations team. At the start of the year we unfortunately lost one of our tigers of many years Tuggs who we hand reared from birth. This was of course a very sad time for all of us here at the park.

We brought in two additional tigers from Berlin as company for Ingrid, and we have begun to start the process of introducing them to each other - a process which takes great time and care.

During the date of your stay, all three tigers were visible in the top enclosure, but as the keeper said two were kept in a separated visible area while we introduced them. But, we would like to stress all three were visible in the area since their arrival at Port Lympne Reserve.

In addition we would like to confirm the mini bar "treats" you are referring to in your review are not complimentary and are fully chargeable in our mini bar menu. The only complimentary offerings in Tiger Lodge are tea, coffee and milk supplies.

We have checked all the appliances across the lodge and found no fault in any areas with all heating and water on continuous programme.

We can only apologies that our response to you question has not been quick enough for you, we always aim to reply to all emails and reviews with 48 hour and will look into why this was not the case on this occasion. That being said, our Customer Service Manager Luke will contact you by phone to follow up and take any further questions you may have personally.

We thank you for taking the time to review our Tiger Lodge and hope to see you again back at our park very soon.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Short Breaks Team

"annual pass"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

What a lovely day out!
My daughter, small Grandson and I spent the day at this wonderful place.
The entrance fee is quite expensive but you can spend the whole day there, or alternatively buy a year long pass which enable you to go throughout the year for no more expense. The fees include safari trips on trucks which go about every 15 minutes and is fantastic.
The animal park is wonderful and the animals all look happy and healthy, having so much space to live in at the park.
They have breeding programmes for endangered animals, and of course the fees help with this.
There is an incredible Dinosaur park for the children (and adults) which I can highly recommend. My grandson LOVED it.
There are plenty of places to get snacks and places to sit and eat them.
The staffl are all so friendly and helpful. Overall, a highly recommended place to visit.

2  Thank Susan C
HowlettsPortLympne, Guest Relations Manager at Port Lympne Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you for your lovely review and score.
We very much appreciate your kind comments and am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your visit.
We hope to welcome you all back very soon to Port Lympne.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Fab to be so close to the gorillas!There were another 4 people (strangers to me but knew each other) doing the experience at the same time but we all got to give a gorilla some treats & spend time watching them in their nice warm inside bit (was a freezing cold day!). Their enclosure is fab with a massive inside bit with lots of hammocks, tyres etc, and they have a large outside area too with an impressive climbing area.
I was impressed by all the conservation work including reintroductions to the wild done by the Aspinall Foundation including Gorillas and Rhinos.
The Experience cost included park entry and I saw my first Bush Dogs & a few other animals which I didn’t expect as it was so cold! My only disappointment was not seeing any rhinos when I followed the path called something like rhino walk but then the sign about the group sent to the wild made me ok with that. Thanks for a nice day.

Thank you very much for your positive score and review.

We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your feeding encounter which gives an wonderful opportunity to see our Gorillas at closer proximity. We offer a variety of feeding experiences and safaris which enable our guests to feed our animals and learn about the Park and our conservation work.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve been coming here since I was young and loved it. I used to visit at least 4 times a year. As I live 20 mins down the road.

On 31/03/18 me and my partner come here (my partners first time ever here).

This place used to be brilliant.

They have had a massive make over with in 2 years or so and it’s not for the best either.

We will not be visiting here again. We will travel the distance and visit Howletts instead from now on.

The only good part was that the animals are well cared for as always (I work with animals myself) and that they have new species here too.

Sad to say that we will not be back any time soon.

This place used to be my hideaway as well.

Thank you for taking time to leave your review.

It is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to Port Lympne. The changes we have made are in response to visitor reviews which we listen to whether they are good or bad. As a charity please be assured that we continue to be as committed as we always have been to the enjoyment for our day visitors whilst needing to generate new income to fund our Parks and our overseas projects.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope that you enjoy your visits to Howletts.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 March 2018

It is so refreshing to visit an Animal Park which concentrates on the Animals and their welfare and conservation, with habitats which allow as close to natural behaviour as possible. We have nothing but praise and admiration for the all the work the Aspinall Foundation carry out. We visited in Snow week! end of February 18 and stayed in a treehouse a wonderful experience and despite the weather, we managed to see a selection of animals who don't mind the cold, and even saw a few Gorillas who braved venturing out despite probably not liking the cold any more than we do. We cannot wait to book the next trip, hopefully in warmer weather.

1  Thank RC2902
HowlettsPortLympne, Guest Relations Manager at Port Lympne Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Dear RC2902,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review not only on our Tree houses but also on the work that we do here. It is always a pleasure to hear how appreciative our guests and visitors are regarding all the hard work our staff put in to take care of the animals and our guests. The park looked so beautiful in the snow but looks magnificent in the summer time and we hope that you will return then to experience it.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
Kind regards