All reviews the pub nunney castle castle suite ribs sunday lunch my partner evening meal beer garden picturesque village function room steak old building pretty village food was lovely pudding four poster bed fish and chips
Reviewed 30 May 2018

The George at Nunnery is ideally placed to explore the local area. The village itself is very picturesque with a lovely church and castle to stroll around and there are some nice walks in the area. We stayed for 1 night in the King-Ensuite with Bath-& shower (room 10), we slept well and had a nice breakfast in the morning. However the room and breakfast was not worth the £150 we paid. I made a mistake while booking and thought I had booked 2 nights so I wasn’t concerned at the price i.e. thinking I’d booked 2 nights. The room and bathroom are definitely in need of a redecoration. If I booked again I would definitely book a cheaper room.

We also had a meal in the evening which was ok, I’ve had better in Wetherspoons, and the experience wasn’t enhanced by one of the waiters using a four letter word in our earshot.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DerekPalmer
Reviewed 26 May 2018

We have just returned from a 2 night stay in the Castle Suite at the George and have genuinely had a really good time. I must admit we were a little worried having read a couple of the negative reviews but let me tell you book without fear! This place is really nice, very friendly and really good value. Let's start with the room, really spacious, lovely comfortable bed, nice ensuite (ok it could do with a new side on the bath and the shower head doesn't stay up unless you get it at the exact right angle, but it's not a 5 star hotel in London it's a pub in Somerset, get over the imperfections it's clean, the water is hot and they made up the room 2nd day when we were out!) the sofa at the end of the bed is however the most uncomfortable sofa I have ever sat on (gentle nudge, it needs replacing) The bar is very nice, wasn't too busy Thursday and a little busier Friday, we ate here both nights, the service was good, friendly, the food was really good and excellent value. The bar prices were also really reasonable and everyone was really friendly (another note, the chess set has 3 pieces missing but given the standard of our chess it really didn't affect our game, but don't give the nitpickers ammo) There's not a great deal in Nunney save the castle, but places like this should be embraced, it's a nice friendly pub with good value rooms, food and drink, if you look for the imperfections you will find them but I suggest that's because you are looking for them and not enjoying the hear and now. A couple of people have mentioned a fatty smell in the corridor and in one of the rooms, it's definitely there in the corridor but it's by the kitchen, we didn't notice it anywhere else, but once again it's a pub, they cook food and cooked food smells. In summer I think some of the rooms have windows that back onto the garden, but it's a pub so expect people to be outside drinking and chatting until 11.30 if it's nice. Book a room, have a drink and enjoy your stay, this place is really nice.

Room Tip: Choose the Castle Suite
Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LibMatt
Reviewed 22 May 2018

My best friend and I are booked an overnight stay at The George as it is halfway between where we both live, being Kent & Cornwall.
Our stay was fabulous from arrival to departure, excellent customer service, warm friendly & helpful.
Our room was perfect, a little warm but soon opened the windows to breathe in the lovely country air. woke up to birds singing, cows mooing and the sound of the church bell.

Our evening meal was delicious, pan fried sea bass and breakfast.......the best eggs benedict I have tasted for a long time.

The George is a truly lovely place to stay and have a best fiend catch up, we will return.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2018

Massive portion sizes. Good service. Very tasty. Can't say its anything special, but it's good pub grub and I would certainly eat there again. Four of us had two starters (Nachos and Camembert) and honestly couldn't finish it!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

Situated in the beautiful village of Nunney, The George is an traditional old country pub/hotel. Lovely old building, which is in need of some tlc, however the bar and restaurant is excellent, offering a good range of beverages and a good menu. Breakfast is served in a separate restaurant, and if first class.
The first room we had was right at the top of the building, and whilst large and comfortable, the shower hand held over the bath the fixtures were broken, and only one light was working. We asked if we could be moved and staff were very obliging and we were immediately moved to a different room on the middle floor which was smaller, but with a shower cabinet and lights that worked.
Overall the stay was most enjoyable, all staff could not have been more helpful.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family