Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 12 June 2012

The first time we stayed here (Feb 2011) we had one of the two garden suites in a block outside. Lovely views, good rooms and generous bathrooms. We ate breakfast outside (which was kindly delivered to our rooms) and we had a lovely selection of croissants, fruit and cooked food- scrambled egg and salmon would be had again! The second time (in december 2011) we stayed we had a room in the main house which was lovely but not quite as private, still the bathroom was lovely and we still had outside seating area. We have had room service for breakfast and supper so am yet to eat in the main restaurant although I am keen to as have heard good things- especially if breakfast is anything to judge. Staff are always helpful. Although its not in the centre of bath, it is just a short taxi away, and the grounds are lovely and the spa is a perfect retreat, so no reason to leave the hotel!

Room Tip: if you can get the garden suite, there are two rooms separated from the main house.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We did an overnight stay here for our wedding anniversary and had a really lovely time. We were given a mini-suite and the good sized rooms were impeccably clean and very stylishly decorated. The bathroom was lovely and we had a fantastic West Country view of rolling hills. Because of the time of year, it was too cold to use the outdoor swimming pool so we spent a good couple of hours in the cosy little spa before dinner. The spa is small but well equipped and luxurious with a small pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. It's the perfect place to relax after a longish journey. The dinner experience was amazing. When we came down for dinner, we were lead into a large sitting room with a roaring log fire and given drinks and nibbles while we waited for our table to be ready. The restaurant itself was beautiful and intimate and the service was very friendly. As you would expect, the food was delicious and because the place has such a relaxing feel, you do end up chatting to other guests. With regard to breakfast, I would also give this top marks. Overall I would say this hotel is a perfect romantic getaway for couples. The only gripes we had were no tea/coffee facilities in the room (although this wouldn't be an issue anywhere else in the world), they had run out of slippers and there is no covered access into the spa; which is ok if the weather is fine but not if it's raining. Those were not deal breakers for us though and it would be overly fussy to drop our rating for niggles like this. This is a really splendid little hotel, a stone's throw away from Bath and it's the cosiest luxury hotel we've ever stayed in. In short, this place is a little gem and well worth a visit.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Femfop
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I recently stayed at Homewood Park Hotel & Spa for one night with my mum during a trip through South England.
We stayed in different accommodations every night and had found a great deal online so decided to splurge a little bit.
Check-in was friendly but not overly so, we had a nice room on the 2nd floor overlooking the countryside. The room was spacious and the bathroom very nice.
I did miss tea and coffee making facilities though, which we had had in every single small B&B that we stayed in during our trip.
As we had a long day and the hotel is in the countryside we decided to have dinner in the hotel restaurant.
They offered a 3-course menu for 42.50 £.
My mum is not a big eater and they had an extra menu with lighter and simpler options so she decided to order from that.
I chose the 3-course menu, my starter was quite good although not fantastic.
I had convinced my mum to get a starter as well and we had asked if she could have one from the menu not the lighter menu.
She had a little goat cheese tartlet with beetroot ice cream which was quite good and she enjoyed it.
As a main she had the butternut squash risotto from the "light menu" which was lovely.
My main course was good, too.
After the mains I decided that I was too full for a dessert so I asked our waiter if it was possible to cancel it. He said no problem and it would be taken of the bill.
Service was friendly, but after our mains I wanted another glass of wine and the waiter did not show up again for about 15 minutes.
Also, my mum had wanted some water so they automatically brought us a big bottle. Later on we saw that several people had ordered jugs of tap water, which we were not offered at all.

But the shock came the next morning at check-out.
First of all, they had charged me for the full three-course menu and only after I mentioned this did they take off 10 £ for the not-eaten dessert.
The bottle of water was almost 6 £ and we had left almost three quarters as only my mum wanted some.
Seeing as we are foreigners they could have mentioned that the option of a tap water jug existed or at least brought my mum a small bottle.
But what upset me the most was the price of my mum's food.
Her lovely risotto from the light menu was a very appropriate 8.50 £, but her starter that she had ordered from the other menu was a whopping 22.50 £.
When I asked why it was that expensive I got the answer that the menu was 42.50 pounds, if you took only 2 courses it was 32.50 and 1 course 22.50.
So my mum could have eaten a big main course for the same price as a tiny goat cheese tartlet???
If we had known this we would most certainly not have ordered this tiny starter at such an outrageous price.
In the end the dinner was more than our 1-night stay and certainly not worth what we paid for it.
I have eaten in many Michelin-starred restaurants, quite a few at a lower price and many more courses.
The spa area looked very inviting but we didn't get to use it unfortunately.
Breakfast was very good with enough variety but I did have to ask the waitress twice to fill something up on the buffet.
When we left it was drizzling rain and a big truck was parked in the entrance unloading things for an event, so we had to drag our luggage a few hundred meters to the parking lot, no help was offered.
Would I stay here again? Yes, maybe, as the hotel and grounds are very nice and well-kept and so are the rooms, but I would think twice about eating at the restaurant again at these prices and hope for little bit of better service and attention to detail next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Luna2308
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We recently stayed at Homewood Park for a treat. On arrival everyone was very welcoming and we were showed to the Manuka Suite.
The room itself was nicely decorated, the bathroom was very nice. Big walk-in shower and lovely bath.
One thing that we did find a-miss was kettle / tea and coffee which we have never come across and given the price we paid for the room was expected. An ironing board and iron would have been welcome additions too.
The huge bed which was advertised was infact two single mattresses shoved together which wasn't very comfortable at all to sleep on.
Dinner in the hotel was lovely, we both really enjoyed our meals adn would go back again.
The breakfast was really nice and the service was very good. After breakfast we went into the spa and used mainly the sauna and steam rooms. We did use the outdoor 'heated' pool. I say heated but it was far from it.
The gardens are lovely and very well kept.
Overall a nice place to stay but the rooms could do with kettles etc so you can make your own coffee and tea and I personally think the prices for the rooms are a little steep.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Will1607
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My boyfriend and i stayed at Homewood Park Hotel for one night over the Jubilee bank holiday. We had a special spa package which included one night stay, 3 course dinner, breakfast and 1 30min treatment each. We had spent the day at Longleat so were very happy to find a warm welcome awaiting us when we arrived. As you walk in the croquet lawn makes you think of old country manors and days gone by, very dreamy. It's easy to find too just off the A36 to Bath.

The hotel is small (21 rooms) but perfect for a romantic relaxing getaway. We had a fab room (massive bed!) and it looked out onto the hotel grounds which made you feel like you lived in the 1800's in a Jane Austen book! Our meal in the Lime Restaurant was superb and we had 5 courses inc nibbles and the chef's special to start (a lovely sweet potato soup in a shot glass)! The staff were excellent and very polite and the service was the best we've had in a long time. A wedding party arrived as we were leaving and so we had to vacate by 2pm but we had time to enjoy a great fry up breakfast followed by a few hours in the spa (heated outdoor pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna) and a great massage each. Considering the wedding party was sizeable, this didnt affect our stay at all which compliments the way the staff handled the day!

The only thing i could fault about the experience is that we booked through wahanda breaks and the hotel had not received our voucher for the meal but the staff handled this effortlessly and dealt with the situation by chasing the company for us. Also they could do with a few more loungers in the spa as there are only 3. But thats the only negatives i can think of.

Room Tip: ASk for a room facing the lovely gardens! We had room 12 and it was great.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6.1 km away
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
7.3 km away
Bailbrook House Hotel

Been to Homewood Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK