Had a great 12 night stay in a 2 bedroom beach pool villa - great for 2 kids as they're probably the only rooms in the Maldives that have a separate bedroom for the kids with twin beds. They all face east thus get the morning sun but lose the afternoon sun. Of the 8 rooms of this type at Centara, rooms 1-3/4 have had the beach washed away in front and are rocky so ask for room 5-8. Perfect resort for kids as loads of stuff is organised for them though it's definitely a 4 star resort (especially the quality of accommodation) compared with the other two 5 star Maldivian resorts we've been to (see above).
Service is good - genuine, friendly, keen, happy staff. Had to be reminded a few times to mend things in room, re- fill mini bar etc but not a big deal.
Food/drink is good - wine is drinkable, decent-size all-inclusive cocktail list, 8 day buffet cycle which is mostly very good. Thai restaurant is excellent. A bit annoying that there was nowhere to eat all-inclusive if you happened to miss the timed restaurant sittings - Lily Beach always had somewhere to eat all-inclusive round the clock.
Spa is excellent and good value - all therapists Thai or Balinese and they know their stuff. Brilliant massages.
Snorkelling is very good all round the island and within 10-20m of the beach.
Rooms are OK but a bit tired, a bit old fashioned and dated - clearly 4 star standard which is fine for a family holiday. Basically clean but could be better - quite a bit of black mould on the tiles in the shower....doesn't take much to keep the place clean.
Island Club thing's a bit odd. Service and food great there but it's a but weird having an island within an island. I'd replace the island club with an adult-only retreat for couples without kids.
We gather they're going "ultimate all-inclusive" from Nov 2012, prices going up but will include more things (spa, minibar etc). I think they'll need to improve the rooms too if they're going to do that.
Wifi is really annoying and antiquated - only one device can be connected at any time (most families have an iPod, iPhone, iPad, Laptop these days) and you have to put a 15 digit code in every 30 mins. You should have to do that just once when you arrive. Please get into the 21st century Centara!
Weather perfect for our July holiday despite monsoon rain on arrival and for the first 36 hrs.
If we ever brought our kids back, we'd probably prefer to save up and/or go for a shorter holiday to Lily Beach and get the "full monte".
All-in-all, a great holiday that was fine for our requirement this time. Thank you Centara.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by a stunning house reef that is a kaleidoscope of colour for snorkellers, and distinctive with its timbered walkways and colonial-style buildings, the five-star Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives is a barefoot paradise. With the Ultimate All-Inclusive concept, your stay is absolutely carefree meaning that all meals, spa treatments, activities and water sports, daily excursions, and even diving are all included. Weatherboard villas, thatched-roof buildings, a white-sand beach and sparkling lagoon are the setting for your honeymoon or fun-filled family holiday. Villas and beach suites are generously-sized (86-159 square metres); the over-water villas enjoy their own sundeck with steps down to the multihued coral reefs. Special villas for families have bunk beds in a children’s area, and you can also enjoy the option of an overwater villa with plunge pool. When it comes to dining, all your meals – and more – are included. Sumptuous champagne breakfasts are available at Reef Restaurant, lunches and dinners are to be enjoyed at the Azurri Mare Italian Restaurant, the Suan Bua Thai restaurant or Reef Restaurant. There are two bars on the island. Voted as Maldives’ most family-friendly resort two years in succession, the island has the ideal family itinerary: activities at the age-specific kids’ clubs, water activities like banana boat and tube rides, water sports, and pool games by thea children’s pool. Anyone in need of some deep relaxation can enjoy the daily spa treatments at Spa Cenvaree, yoga sessions, or simply laze beachside. Beside water sports and one of the best PADI dive centres in the Maldives, the resort’s house reef and lagoon provide fascination for snorkellers, and just off the reef there is a dedicated shipwreck that offers easy diving and a close-up view of turtles and whale sharks, manta rays, and surgeonfish. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Fastbooking, Agoda, Expedia, HotelQuickly and Hotels.com so you can book your Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Grand Island Hotel Centara Grand Island
- Centara Grand Island Resort And Spa
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives