“Golden Age”

Corcreggan Mill
portmarnock
“Golden Age”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Me returning to a golden age in my youth when Donegal and principally Marble hill was the location for long Summer Holidays spent bathing fishing and crabbing.Because our enlarged families were so close and cousins so full of excitment and fun this was (and is) Paradise.Now family and same cousins are gathered in stunning luxury on plots nestled under Faugher Heights near the primary school on the road to Creslough from Dunfanaghy.
However for our accomodation and experience we booked into the hostel run by  Brendan Rohan at Corcreggan beside The New Lake on the N 56 from Dunfanaghy to Falcarragh.
The buildings he has restored to "better than ever" are full of interest and character with stylish touches and fascinating art and memorabilia.

Brendan will challange you to get out and about and you will soon be in a state of euphoria from tired limbs and magic induced by rebirthing in sousterrain, discovery of ring forts,fairy hills and ancient archaeological sites and not least of course from the most stunning landscape.
His user friendly guides and maps make his briefings easy to follow and so the trails and paths come to life and are safe and secure but exciting for the explorer.
His stories at night are tales of derring do from a bygone age albeit  very recnt in time.Brendan is still a man in full spate with all the elan and esprit that would have found more room in the Foreign Legion perhaps than at home but I feel his tilts at the quirks and mores of the Irish army he loves and cherishes will not have been in vain and must surley have helped us steer a path away from narrow mindedness.His personality and that of Marina staffand guests is all part of the enjoyment you'll find here.
Comfort,affordability,warmth,and intrigue will be found here and all with a Failte Ui Cheallaigh.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank sorleyboy
, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
I am very grateful for this comprehensive, complimentary and glowingly descriptive review of Corcreggan Mill and the surrounding scenery but I hope that some of our less energetic guests will not take it amiss ... that I must surely sound like a demanding Cavalry commander, sending out reconnaissance troops in every direction, on challenging missions, to gather as much intelligence as possible on the very diverse range of terrain which surrounds us here, as well as reporting on the myriad of ancient sites, beaches, forests, cliffs, etc and the many excellent music, food and other attractions, services and venues, not to mention the many colourful characters who inhabit, entertain or otherwise ‘hold court’ in our local hostelries.

I am particularly taken by, and grateful for, your final synopsis of “Comfort, affordability, warmth and intrigue...” If I can ever afford a marketing executive I’ll know where to look.
Many, many thanks for taking so much trouble to post such a kind and consider review.
I look forward to tasking you with even more challenging missions on your next visit.

Best regards,
Brendan.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Corcreggan has it all: hostel, B&B, self-catering, camping, and you'll be treated just as well whatever option you take. Owner Brendan clearly labours for love of the place and its 'esoteric' and magical locale at the foot of Horn Head and the golden strands and will share freely with you his knowledge and affection for every last field and rock.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Usshi
, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a great review for us. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay in this very special area and I see it as my sacred duty to ensure that all our guests have the best opportunity to get the maximum benefit from their stay in this unique area. I am especially pleased that the facilities at the Mill House suited and impressed you so much.

Hopefully you will return for more of the same ... or even more again.

Thanks again for your kind comments,
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The best bit about corcreggen isn't the warm welcome, or the stunning surroundings (Donegal is breathtaking), or the wealth of adivce and tips available - the best bit about Corcreggen is that Brendan clearly loves his hostel and his project with a passion. And that passion tranmits itself into the Hostel and the experience. I loved it. I stayed for 5 days after originally booking only for 4 and changing my ongoing plans so I could stay longer.
I've travelled 37 countries and 5 continents - and this is the BEST hostel experience of it all purely because of how much it is a project of love for the owner. It's not a business to Brendan, or even a living - it's a chosen way of life and if you go - you get sucked into it.
My only warning would be - if you intend to go and stay a few days - book LONGER than you would normally. I wish i'd booked 7 days. I'd like to go back for even longer than that.
I hope very much to go back next year. I left feeling utterly relaxed, inspired, and deeply warmed. But I truly did NOT want to leave yet... visit! You'll love it. Andy (Bath)

Room Tip: I'd prefer 1st floor north side for views if I think about it.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank AndrewManister
, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Oh Andy ... you are so romantic. If I don't watch out I'll have people running Singles Weekends and dating services here. Maybe you'd like to do the marketing for me.

Serioudsly though, I am very grateful for the lovely, heartfelt review. Insights like yours are rarely possible in stays of less than three days. Sfter all, you have been preceeded by a range of earlier, notable romantics and writers such as Yeats, Russel, Pearse, Chesterton and many more, whom I believe were imbued with the same sense of magic as a result of their visits and associations with this area.

If you ever read this I would love to get in contact again so as to send you a new short story I have just written about another naval aviator I met many years ago and who was equally gifted in the realms of adventure, nature, writing and romance.

Masny thanks for your custom and kind comments. Hope to see you again soon.

Best regards to you and Claire,
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This is a Hotel/Hostel/Campside where you feel truly welcome. The host gives great tips for adventures in the beautiful surrounding, the house is extremely clean, cosy atmosphere, honest interior, great outdoors, celtic , amazing!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank eva k
, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Many thanks, Eva, for taking the time to write such a complimentary review of the property and area.

Looking forward tyo your retern,
Brendan
Mildura, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Corcreggan Mill had nearly everything I want in accommodation - setting, comfort, uniqueness, friendly owner and staff - but so much more. Brendan is an absolute wealth of information and actually loves talking to guests - a rare thing in the hospitality industry! My only regret is that we could not stay longer, I would recommend to everyone to spend AT LEAST 3 nights, but preferably a whole week! Where else in the world would you get an impromptu session at Sunday morning breakfast?

One thing though! Book your accommodation through their web site to ensure they get all your money, otherwise they lose at least 10% to the booking agent.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if there are different types of rooms - our private rooms (for 2 people) on the gro...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank DeborahMildura
BrendanRohan, Owner at Corcreggan Mill, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Hello Deborah,
Many thanks for taking the trouble to post such a complimentary review.

I'm really glad you enjoyed your time with us but then, you gave yourself every opportunity by staying a few days, which can result in such magical and zany experiences as that which you enjoyed.

That was meant to be a very busy morning for us (doing other things) and it only unfolded as it did because we all abandoned our 'schedules' and relaxed into 'the happening' . It really was an incredible impromptu session with so many original compositions of song, music, story-telling and poetry being shared. The walls have absorbed the atmosphere which you all contributed to so willingly and magnificently and they will impart the magic to other guests.

Thank you for YOUR gifts of true friendship and generosity of spirit which we all availed of to the full. Hopefully we will enjoy such gifts and your good company again in the not-too-distant future.

Best regards,
Brendan.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunfanaghy
2.9 km away
26.1 km away
Caisleain Oir Hotel
Caisleain Oir Hotel
#1 of 1 in Annagry

Been to Corcreggan Mill? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK