“Stay as part of CIE tour”
Review of Cabra Castle Hotel

Cabra Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kingscourt
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Staying in a castle, allthough ou room was actually in the refubished stables it was still a great feeling. The room was very comfortable.and the walk to the actual Castle very interesting. The Hotel has a permanent resident. a gigantis Is-rish Wolf Hound. Very friendly. The staff very helpfull . This was the second stay for my Wife and I and we enjoyed both our stays.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank regerton
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

My family and stayed at Cabra Castle for only one night. It was our first stop on our tour. While my parents stayed in the Castle (in the bridal suite no less) I stayed in the "cottages". I admit to being a bit annoyed that I was going to be staying in the castle and admit to a small amount of wining until I saw my room. I shut up immediately. It was huge!!! The room itself was modern, had a balcony to die for, and the bathtub had a skylight over it. I ended up calling it the "Mistress Quarters" and twirled around my room then jumped up and down like a three year old.

I know I sound a bit crazy but I was thrilled with my room and the grounds are amazing. The staff was great and don't forget Oscar the wolfhound; he is a sweety!

Room Tip: If you are going to be there for more than a few nights, I would recommend the cottages lower level...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My wife had stayed at the Cabra Castle the year before when she attended a wedding and enjoyed it so much, she decided it was where we would stay when we revisited the area in late March 2012.

We did not specify where we wanted to stay and on arrival found ourselves booked into a large room in the courtyard complex, around the back of the main castle building. This room was extremely large. It had both a double and single bed, a large sofa, coffee and dining table and a small ensuite shower room. We were able to park our car directly outside the room, which made moving luggage a doddle. You could access the main building either through a doorway in one corner of the courtyard (which then took you on a tour around the corridors within the castle, passing suits of armour and old portraits looking down upon guests) or you could stroll around the outside to the front doors. Either route would take about the same time to travel.

The beds were comfortable and the room cosy. We had breakfast delivered to the room on a couple of mornings, which was great and we also had breakfast in the dining room in the castle, where there was a greater choice on hand.

The Cabra is a great venue for weddings and several were taking place during our stay. At one point, when we returned one night (around 11pm) we were grateful for being in the Courtyard, because the noise from the wedding party's disco was pretty loud and I am sure not many guests would have got to sleep until that subsided.

There were a lot of foreign visitors staying at the Cabra, including many from America and service was of a suitably high standard. Because we were visiting relatives, we did not have the opportunity to dine in the restaurant, although we did grab a late night bar meal one evening (we both ordered the Irish beef burger and fries). They were delivered promptly, were freshly cooked and tasted great.

Overall, we would recommend the Cabra Castle for a stay in stylish, period accommodation, where quality of service matters. Relatives say the rooms in the castle are better than the courtyard, if on the smaller side. But I would balance that against the possible noise from the venue below, if you like an early night.

Room Tip: Courtyard could be quieter if there is a wedding on in the Castle.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stayed here for a family occasion. Large comfortable bedrooms. Great food and service. Perfect for an adult getaway.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My husband and I really enjoyed our visit to Cabra Castle. Staff were very welcoming and we stayed in a beautiful room in the courtyard. This bedroom was the largest bedroom we have ever stayed in. Four poster bed, Large ensuite and a free standing bath as well. The weather was summerlike in March so we had our lunch sitting out in the patio. There is a 9 hole golf course and we managed to play twice. Dinner was of high standard and a bottle of lovely house wine included. Breakfast was excellent. Freshly prepared. Would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingscourt
37.9 km away
35.4 km away
Westcourt Hotel
Westcourt Hotel
#2 of 5 in Drogheda

Been to Cabra Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK