“Excellent venue for a wedding”
Review of Barberstown Castle

Barberstown Castle
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Straffan
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We attended a wedding at Barberstown Castle recently. I was very impressed with the hotel. The room was very nice, with plenty of space and a large four poster bed. The wedding reception itself was very well laid out and the food was extremely good. Most of all we were very impressed with the staff, they were extremely courteous and did everything they could to make our stay comfortable. I must add that the location is superb, close to Dublin yet Straffan has a country village feel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed in the hotel old rooms. Staff cordial but not overly helpful on arrival. Next morning the problems started! No hot Water, plumber or staff member did not show up to room to assist after telephone calls to reception. Arrived 10 mins late for breakfast as a result of waiting for assistance with water and refused to serve us even though we explained situation, restaurant manager extremely rude and practically frog marched us out of dining room. No interest at reception when we again made our complaint and asked for assistance with acquiring a breakfast. Left feeling furious with attitude of staff. Management need to check out top ten requirements of a customer staying in hotel! I know Hot Water and Breakfast are right up there in requirements! Will not be back. Real pity as the food at wedding reception was particularly good for a wedding breakfast specially the soup! Staff little too fast at removing plates

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank r0seBud25
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I have gone to few events in Barberstown over the years, I was always very impressed by the food, rooms and service. So much so that my wife and I decided to have our wedding reception there. Considering we live in London and my wife is from Yorkshire it should have been a hard sell to my parents in law. Turns out they fell in love with the place as soon as they came through the gates, and if you can impress my mother in law you must be doing something right!

The reception was great night. Gretchen organised everything, from the cake, to photographer, she is a star. The food was perfect and there was lots of it, considering there was a high proportion of rowers and rugby players, no one went hungry! The staff, as always, were great, even when I managed to knock a bunch candles over and cover myself in wax they whisked my jacket off and came back 5 minutes later with it miraculously cleaned. The reception room was ideal for what we wanted. We only had 130 guests, but the room could happily cope with double. The majority of our guests came from overseas and they loved the hotel, particularly the Americans. The party went on till late, there are pianos littered all over the hotel, so there was obligatory sing songs as well. Overall I could not have chosen a better venue for our wedding reception. There are cheaper venues out there, but you get what you pay for – and Barberstown Castle is excellent.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank James C
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I have never stayed in Barberstown as I love locally, but have eaten here on many occasions.
The food is always cooked to perfection, it is a little pricey but the quality of the food always reflects this. Also, each time I have been there they have always brought out complimentary tasters from the chef, which I think is a nice touch, and a chance to try something a little different.
My only hesitation with Barberstown is the price of alcohol. We had a glass of wine in the bar before out meal, and when we got the bill they were €10.50 a glass, I actually think it is a disgrace to charge this price for a glass of wine.
I will return here for dinner but I will be think twice about getting a drink before or after my meal here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here a few years ago for a work Christmas party. We had our dinner in the dungeon room, it was amazing! The food was superb and the accommodation was lovely.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Straffan
2.0 km away
12.0 km away
Lawlors Hotel
Lawlors Hotel
#1 of 5 in Naas

Been to Barberstown Castle? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK