“Excellent”
Review of Barberstown Castle

Barberstown Castle
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Straffan
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here a few years ago for a work Christmas party. We had our dinner in the dungeon room, it was amazing! The food was superb and the accommodation was lovely.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Barberstown Castle

Reviewed 19 October 2011

We stayed here for a wedding recently and while we enjoyed our overnight trip there were a few things that bothered me. The wedding reception was great fun but I thought the function room left a lot to be desired, the acoustics were terrible, I couldn't hear anyone talking bar the folks to my immediate left and right. It is a huge room and there were a lot of people at the wedding but I would expect to be able to hear the speeches, conversations at my table etc. The wooden floors in the function room area were very difficult/slippy to walk on in heels and almost every lady I spoke to commented on it, we were all nervous about falling. The food at the reception was pretty average but, to be honest, wedding food doesn't make much of a difference to me, I'm more interested in having a fun day. The soup was delicious though!

Our room was very fancy looking, it was in the old part of the hotel, we were very pleased with the decor but a quick lie on the bed established the mattress as quite old and springy. We had a good bit to drink that day so we still slept through the night but it's definitely something that would have bothered me had I been sober. For the amount of money the room cost I would have expected a few more mod-cons in the room, a teeny tiny television and no mini-bar just doesn't cut it at these prices. We also discovered very early in the morning that our room was right over the breakfast dining area, there was no hope of us having a lie-in so we got up and went for breakfast, which was really lovely, apart from in the insanely salty bacon/rashers, there was enough on the plate for me to omit eating them altogether though.

Any staff we encountered were pretty pleasant but didn't go out of their way to make it feel like a top class hotel. All told, I don't feel this hotel is worth the money you pay(even with the reduced rate for wedding parties), it is a nice place and staying in a castle does have it's charms but there are so many things they could improve on. I've also noticed that no-one from Barberstown Castle has taken the time to respond to the negative reviews here on tripadvisor, I think this is a huge oversight on their part and would make me seriously consider visiting somewhere if this is their approach to customer service.

Room Tip: Be sure to check where your room is located, if you're over the breakfast dining area expect an...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2011

As it is almost 4 months since our wedding date and we have had time to get full feedback from all our family and friends that attended our wedding in July, we wanted to share the review we sent to Barberstown Castle. The team at Barberstown will go above and beyond to ensure that your day is everything and more than you had hoped for! We will visit the castle every time we go back to Ireland.

"Words can barely describe how grateful we are to the Barberstown
Castle team for making July 2nd 2011 as perfect a day as we could have
ever imagined. We can have nothing but good words to say from the
first interaction via web enquiry to the checkout the morning after
our wedding.

Richard was very patient in showing the banquet hall to a few family
members who needed to act as our eyes as we were living in the USA.
Gretchen and Eimear sent numerous photos to act as back up for the
good reviews we had received. Management were so confident (and
rightly so!!) that we would love the venue when we saw it in person
that they were willing to work with us on the deposit required to
secure the date. After we saw the venue in person we knew we had made
the right decision. All subsequent emails and telephone calls were
dealt with in a timely and professional manner. Thank you for your
patience too as we had many queries!

The wedding day itself can only be described as perfection. The moment
we stepped out of the car and on to the red carpet we were greeted by
Paddy with a glass of champagne. It can't be easy making more than 200
guests feel that they were very important to the success of the
wedding, yet they managed to do it flawlessly. The banquet hall itself
was better than we expected the flowers and candles really added to
the magical feel. The top table set up makes you feel like a high
chief and many of our guests felt the need to bow in jest as they
passed us to get to the bar area! The food was amazing and all our guests
commented on how much of it there was, many guests
had second helpings! The wait staff were phenomenal in how they
managed to ensure everyone was served very promptly. The wine kept
flowing during dinner and the bar tenders worked tirelessly until the
early hours of the morning. The late night barbeque is a lovely add on
and it really separates Barberstown's package from the standard
sandwiches and tea that you receive at other venues.

The Irish weather decided to play its part which meant that the
courtyard and gardens were utilised to their full potential. They are
perfect for photo opportunities. We had many travelling from the
States and further afield and all commented on how beautifully
maintained the gardens were. The accommodation in the castle can only
be described as magical, All our guests felt the same way! Four poster
beds a plenty! We had block booked every room and nobody was
disappointed!

As with many other people who have reviewed your venue, we forgot to
pass on our thanks to Paddy on the night in question. The best man
found him a pleasure to deal with and no request was too much for him
or his team.....so thank you Paddy and please pass on the same to your
wonderful team! You all played a criticial role in creating a day and
night we will never forget! "

Mick and Lina July 2nd 2011

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We had our wedding in Barberstown last year. From the rehearsal dinner in the keep, we were taken care of by the lovely staff at Barberstown. There was no need to worry about any details as it was all taken care of in house and by local suppliers. The food was incredible and plentiful with many people requesting seconds of the infinite supplies of roast beef and yorkshire puddings! As someone who works in the wine trade, I was impressed by the breadth of the wine list selecting wines from around the world, ranging from great value to something special. The rooms were spacious and luxurious for several hours of make up and hair pruning, the rainfall showers in the bathroom are fabulous and the four poster beds are a real treat!
Our friends and family had a lovely weekend and long to go back.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I stayed at Barberstown castle for a wedding the rooms are exelencent spacious tv need updating but overall a wow factor . For the wedding we went to the banquet hall and we were greated by a young man we waited for my wife to finish the cigerate the young man introduce himself as the banqueting manager very plesent to he was the banquet hall is in a seaprerare part from the hotel paddy the banqueting manager as he introduce himself said it works very well as you are staying in the hotel it quiet you would not even know there is a wedding going on .we had the beef main course a hot starter I was very impressed that it was hot not warm I am a foodie person so I am picky at most service was quick not rushed it all just seam to happen at no time did I see anybody waiting to be served , as I went to weddings before and the time between course was 10/15 mins I found every body got served together service was pleasant and wine seviice was never ending
The residents bar was in the same bilding we found this strange but it worked very well as you don't have to go to far residents bar closed at 2.30 I did not mind as its was a long day and I was glad of seeing my bed

• Stayed: August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Straffan
2.0 km away
12.0 km away
Lawlors Hotel
Lawlors Hotel
#1 of 5 in Naas

Been to Barberstown Castle? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK