Becketts Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Little Acre(Newcastle)
View Hotel
All reviewscontinental breakfastsmall hotelduckquiet locationthe early birdrestaurant downstairsnice coffeefriendly and professional stafffresh fruitsteakfamily eventfood was amazingdublin city centrefront of houseset menutop classcomfortable beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Wonderful warm hospitality,good bar and excellent restaurant , Room 5, suite, very comfy,
service provided by Colin Fitton and his team, superb, only thing missing was hot Irish breakfast, but what was on offer which very enjoyable and possibly healthier.
Nice atmosphere - easy company.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Recently dined in Beckett's Restaurant........early bird menu was average.... €26 for four course sounds like good bang for the buck but bit cheeky to add on a 12.5% service charge, especially when there were only two of us, and not like it was a big group of 8 or more!!
Food was nothing exceptional....the mackerel salad starter was probably the best part, but my friend had to return starter off ham and liver paté - so tough you would need steak knife to cut it.....and accompanied with two thick slices of ciabatta....strange combo.....our mains were ok......my pork was bit dry and only saved by the apple puree sauce....tasteless though.
I love cheesecake but Beckett's offering was a huge disappointment......they certainly know how to charge for wine by the glass. We should probably have opted for the four course with bottle of wine which costs €70 and most importantly does not include the infamous service charge.....I think that's bit cheeky in these times to take for granted to include a service charge for early bird menu! There are much finer establishments in the city and I won't be back to Beckett's...... the surroundings are quite quaint . I won;t be rushing back though!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed here for one night only with my husband. It was a very last minute decision to stay here, phoned and got a good deal. Was told it was a small double room. Arrived late at the hotel and was greeted by a friendly guy, had my credit card ready expecting him to ask for it but he told me I could settle everything in the morning.
The room was small and the en suite was tiny but apart from that it was fab. The place is full of character, they have a lovely area away from the bar where you can sit and have a drink. the hotel was full of people having dinner. Cannot say a bad word about this hotel except that the room was small and even that wouldnt put me off staying there. The staff are very friendly and its full of charm, its not like other bigger hotels that are only interested in your money. Cannot wait to stay here again and next time Ill check in early and make the most of this lovely hotel

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Stayed one of the larger rooms for one night whilst on a business trip in the area. Very impressed with the boutique feel and personal service. Excellent restaurant, which was very busy with non-guests, which is generally a good sign. Very good menu and wine list. Dined with business colleagues who we very impressed with the food. This hotel is a great alternative to the sameness of the large chain hotels and great value.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Jcbantry
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We stayed in Becketts for a weekend in May 2011.

I think Becketts is best described as a very successful restaurant that has nice bedrooms available, rather than a Hotel/Inn.

The room we stayed in was huge, very spacious.
The room is decorated in a gorgeous “opulent” style, but modern and spotlessly clean.
Lovely sitting area and had three large windows in the room, double aspect.

We found the room a little noisy. The windows although they seemed double-glazed didn’t block out the noise of the traffic, we thought the windows were open, but they were closed.

For the size of the room, the bed size was just a normal double bed that you would have at home in your own house, deducted a star for that!!

The room had an ensuite, but I was surprised that it was so small, just a shower, toilet and small sink. I was expecting a large bathroom, given the astronomical size of bedroom, not really bothered by that, just an observation.
Plenty of lovely toiletries and clean fluffy towels.

There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room with complimentary chocolates, but no teaspoons or stirrers on the tray!!

We ate in the restaurant and the food really is superb.
The staff are all very nice and chatty and couldn’t be more helpful. I was annoyed to see a mandatory service charge of 12.5% applied to the bill, although there was only two of us. We asked the waitress do they receive the service charge and she told us they don’t receive it. We asked for the charge to be removed as we weren’t paying it. After some tooing and froing the charge was eventually removed.

The bar is part of the restaurant really. There’s about 6/7 bar stools available at the counter and looks out over part of the restaurant. There’s a separate lovely little relaxing/coffee area off the restaurant, ideal for reading the papers and chilling.

Breakfast was fine.
Only continental offered but it was good, all freshly prepared.
Fresh fruit, breads, smoked salmon, cereals, yoghurts, tea/coffee and toast.
Service was quick and efficient, again served by very friendly waitresses.

Overall, I’d have no hesitation in recommending Becketts.

Room Tip: request large room at time of booking
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple