All reviews scones ring of kerry lake view her husband breakfast room perfect stay full irish breakfast skellig michael dark sky reserve monastic site ann's place extra driving r r local sights an absolute gem lovely location days fishing
Reviewed 11 June 2017

We were lucky enough to stay at Currane Lodge for 1 night, and were treated to freshly caught and prepared fish n chips for dinner (for a modest & fair fee). The hosts were present and available, but made an obvious effort to respect your privacy and give you whatever space you needed.

Our room was clean and ready upon arrival, and we were ushered in with a quick explanation on the keys, the facilities, and the food options.

The fish n chips were outstanding, and the breakfasts we pre-ordered were enough to feed any 5 grown men. Felt bad wasting so much food, but the owner was able to provide a small plastic container so we could snack on it during our long drive through Kerry that day.

Would definitely go out of my way to stay here again. Would make more time, as well, in order to take advantage of their offer to ride across the lake to explore the ruins of a Monastic settlement that you can see from your breakfast table.

Room Tip: Wifi is free, but limited. Do not expect to UL/DL pics & videos while staying, but you can get reception for calls and browsing websites.
1  Thank TGilmer75
Reviewed 3 June 2017

Our room was large and bright with beautiful views one cannot describe and they are a must see!
The host was friendly, accommodating and eager to share tips for local sights.
The breakfasts were very tasty and generously portioned. This included fresh home-baking with banana bread a highlight!
Difficult not to highly recommend this guesthouse in a spectacular area.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sadhbh m
Reviewed 1 June 2017

This place is an absolute gem. Ann is amazing! She is an excellent cook and she serves hefty portions. We was "having guests for dinner" both nights we stayed so we dined with her and it was outstanding. 3 course meals both nights. The place itself is located out of town with the most spectacular view of mountains and lake. It is a small lodge, as the name implies. We hoped to get onto Skellig Michael but had made no reservations. Ann knows the "skippers" (I love that she uses the word skippers :-) and managed to get us on a boat despite the trips to the Skellig being booked out through the season. She is a miracle worker. Our room was spacious and comfortable and we were able to relax and truly enjoy being here. Highly recommended!

2  Thank KristenKS
Reviewed 19 May 2017

A lovely location, great views and Ann is a great host.
The Ring of Kerry is a great drive but speak to Ann and she will advise on even better ones, such as the Skellig ring and the trip over to Valentia island.

1  Thank Jane H
Reviewed 7 May 2017

What a treasure is Ann McCarthy. I had so much car trouble while I was staying with her and she fielded so many calls on my behalf with the rental company and the road side services in Waterville and Cahersirveen that she really deserves a medal. This is a woman who goes above and beyond and smiles all the way. It's an idyllic location adjacent to Lough Currane, a little outside Waterville proper but entirely worth the bit of extra driving time you'll need to get there and back to downtown Waterville and elsewhere on the Ring of Kerry. I am tremendously grateful for the kind commitment of Ann. I can't say enough good things about her and I cannot recommend enough that you stay here. She gives boat trips out to Church Island to see an ancient monastic site. I wasn't able to do it, but I was told it was a lovely thing to do. She is also by the way a gourmet cook and her dinners rival and exceed anything you will get in Waterville. I highly encourage you to have at least one of her dinners during your stay at Currane Lodge. Thanks so much, Ann! I hope we meet again. David K.

Room Tip: Any room is a winner
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo