“A little piece of Italy in Athlone ..”

IL Colosseo Italian Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 120 Restaurants in Athlone
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

We had a short stay in Athlone after Christmas and decided to try Il Colosseo for dinner. We weren’t aware that we should have booked in advance as they were very busy when we arrived. They were so friendly and very accommodating, they told us it would be 20 minuets wait for a table, we were happy to wait. Well they didn’t disappoint us, we were seated in less than 10 minutes.. the food was amazing, the service was excellent, the staff were lovely and there was such a lovely atmosphere. I would highly recommend this restaurant, we will definitely return the next time we’re in Athlone.

Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

Been to this Italian a good few times. Came with my boyfriend one evening. After booking a table for two we were seated right beside the door where people were coming in every few seconds. I was frozen! We were served by a blonde woman , my boyfriend wanted to order his pasta with no vegetables which he orders every time we go and there is never a problem . But this particular waitress was extremely rude to him. She told him that it couldn’t be done and she just sneered at him for even asking. She had an absolutely appalling attitude. Only for my pasta was nice , she had really turned me off the place.

2  Thank Gemma D
Reviewed 10 December 2017

Very relaxed Dining area, with down to earth staff, Had a pizza because why not, it is Italian at the end of the day, Pizza ingredients were fresh and colorful, Cheeses on the pizza were to die for, Great music in the background as well which adds to the clean dining area they have, definitely one of the nicest Italian restaurants in the midlands!

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

I love this place - the staff are so lovely and nothing is too much trouble. The food is delicious and they have a very extensive menu. They even have my favourite rose wine in so happy days. This place comes highly recommended and I'll definitely be back.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Having visited this restaurant before and thoroughly enjoying the food I was very disappointed with my current visit. We were driving from Dublin to Galway and pulled in off the motorway especially to go to this Italian as it had been fantastic the previous time we visited. We walked in the door and were shown to our table by a lovely waitress, the restaurant was quiet, only 2 other tables with people eating, it was a tuesday night.
A male waiter came to take our order, he did not say hello, he seemed very grumpy, asked me was I ready to order so I ordered my food and then he could not even ask my partner he just nodded his head at him to take his order, he then went off and came back and plonked 2 glasses of water on the table in front of us, again did not speak. We ordered garlic bread with cheese for our starters, it came out on a ciabatta sytle bread, it looked lovely, loads of cheese, unfortunately there was very little garlic, it was little more than cheesy bread. The waiter came again and took our plates, still did not speak, then we got the main course, I ordered lasagne and my partner got spaghetti bolognese, my dish came in a large pasta dish, the lasagne was somewhere in the middle of the plate and the whole thing was drowned in sauce, it was terrible, the sauce was so bland, absolutely no flavour, I ate a bit but it felt like I was fishing the whole time to find the actual lasagne, I left most of it behind, the spaghetti bolgonese was ok, again flavourless, we were very dissapointed, the waiter came along again and whipped the dishes off the table, it was clear I had only eaten a small bit of mine, he did not ask if everything was ok or if we were finished, just took the plates, I asked him for the bill and waited 10 mins, he did not bring it to the table so I just went up and payed and left, I have never come across such an ignorant person in a restaurant, I defintely will not be returning!

6  Thank sarah a