“Authentic Experience!”

Kin Khao Thai Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 121 Restaurants in Athlone
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Description: Thai cuisine, local style. That's local Thai not dumbed down Western style. Our great food, service and local beers and wines are waiting for you. Looking forward to seeing you.
Reviewed 5 February 2018

I eat very regularly in this restaurant and I have travelled around Thailand on numerous occasions so I feel I have to comment on how authentic the food is in Kin Khao. If I closed my eyes I could be back in Thailand as the food is just superb. The excellent chef's brin the fabulous flavours to life in all of their dishes that I have tried. Their food really is the real deal. I have brought many friends to this restaurant and everyone has raved about the food here and wants to come again when they come to Athlone. If you are in Athlone you must try this out. There are way too many supermarket type Thai restaurants in this country, this is not one, this is unique!

2  Thank CelinaC54

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Having attending this restaurant and made reservations for the Early Bird. We were very disappointed and let down with the whole experience.

It seem apparent now that we weren't given a Early Bird Menu and was given & charged The Á La Carte at 5.30pm. Staff not helpful or friendly not attentive at all!

Our experience wasn't Authentic Thai at all, Chilli Sauce from a bottle is definitely not authentic in my experience of going to many Authentic Thai Restaurants dipping sauces are made with sugar water and vinegar and other Thai ingredients. Green Curry served with frozen garden green peas and peppers is definitely not authentic either.

The food served seem pre cooked, very dry and presentation very poor. For an establishment that claims to have been awarded several awards was not Award Winning Restaurant by what was served that night, I see now that the last award was in 2011.

Our Experience:

We order drinks that didn't arrive until after our appetiers, that came dry, over cooked and the presentation poor and served with regular Chill Sauce from a bottle.

Green Curry served with frozen garden green peas and peppers is clearly not authentic.

Pad Thai Noodles with Chicken was very over cooked and burnt, never had or experience a Pad Thai like that before, again presentation poor and staff rude!

Lastly, to be charge the most extortionate fees for that quality and service we have ever ever witnessed is totally beyond our belief. We have paid less in Michelin Star Restaurants.

It was only when we got home and realised we had not paid the Early Bird Menu prices as we had paid by card & didn't see the prices or balance, due to not having our glasses with us.

We will definitely NOT be recommending this restaurant!

12  Thank jakki_9
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

I ordered take away here with a bunch of friends a couple of weeks ago and the food was delicious so I said I’d bring my boyfriend out for dinner. I ordered the early bird menu chicken satay for starters and Thai red curry for my main €19.95. Both were lovely. He ordered the steak and roast potatoes and said it was lovely. We both found portion sizes to be quiet small. Takeaway portions were almost double the size and half the price. They did not give me early bird discount because we shared a starter which I though was ridiculous. For the price it costs to eat in I would recommend getting takeaway bigger portions and half the price. Overall though the food was lovely.

1  Thank Clodagh B
ourlittlefamille, Owner at Kin Khao Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

Hi Clodagh Firstly thanks for eating with us both takeout and in.
Re your point on the portion sizes - if your fella had a steak and spuds then he got a large portion. Our steaks are one of the biggest around and it is served with lots of veg and potatoes. Maybe he was super starving??? Our takeaway portions are actually slightly smaller than the restaurant portions.
Re the cost of a restaurant portion - You have to factor in the cost of running a restaurant when looking at restaurant prices - staff wages & salaries, power, light, heat, upkeep, rates, taxes, refuse, mortgage or rent etc etc etc. The list is nearly endless:)
Im not sure what you meant on the point regarding the sharing of the starter - you ordered a chicken satay - i think there was some confusion. If we did not charge you the early bird and if you had informed the staff you were going for early bird then I will gladly refund you the difference. Sometimes if guests do not indicate they are going for the Early Bird the staff obviously charge them the a la carte price.
I do hope this explains the differences and we look forward to seeing you again. Adam

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Literally my fav restaurant in the world!!! My boyfriend and I travel from Dundalk just to eat at kin Khao! The food is just so tasty!! No matter what you get on the menu it’s guaranteed to make your mouth water this is one restaurant I’m never afraid to try new things!! If you love Thai food then this is the restaurant I need to try! The staff are super friendly and very attentive to your order!! I can’t wait to go back!! ❤️

1  Thank 128emmanuellas

All at Kin Khao have fallen in love with you Emmanuella. Thank you so much g=for the lovely review. We adore guests who try everything on the menu. Lots of the choices on our menu are actually not available in any other Thai restaurant in Ireland so we love it when we see them being explored. Thanks again. Adam

Reviewed 21 January 2018

VIsiting Kin Khao is a real treat for ourselves. This time we both went for the Fresh Spring Rolls - cold and uncooked but really hard to beat. I'm a real fan of vegetable spring rolls but these fresh spring rolls win hands down every time.
My wife had the chicken and cashew nut stir fry and was bowled over by it - really high on flavour! I went for the Pad Thai stir fry with vegetables - again bursting with flavour and goodness luckily I was cautious when I saw a small dish of a dark brown condiment. It smelled smokey but boy was it hot...it transpired it was roast chilli flakes. All very well for those with asbestos palettes but for a wimp like me it was best avoided. The dish itself was excellent. After a starter and main course we were both pleasantly full so we went for a sambucca rather than a desert and it was a good choice. Oops nearly forgot we had a couple of Singa beers with our meals - you can't go wrong with a Thai beer with a Thai meal but I have to say their wine-list is pretty tempting too. It is easy to see why they are No 2 restaurant in Athlone and if more people were adventurous enough to try Thai food I have no doubt they would soon be No 1.

Hi Gearoid what a way to kick off our week by reading your kind words. We are really thankful and hopefully we will see you again. Cheers Adam