“Magic Garden”
Review of Glanleam House

Glanleam House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Valentia Island
Reviewed 28 July 2009

To visit Glanleam gardens is to experience a truly magical environment. The idea that its possible to grow such lush and exotic plants on one of Europe's most westerly inhabited island surrounded by the atlantic ocean is hard to imagine..............until you see it! Try walking around the gardens, take time to explore the many hidden treasures, water courses and pools, see the walled garden and then walk on to visit Valentia lighthouse and take tea at the lighthouse cafe overlooking this stunning place. Come prepared, you will be visiting the far south west of Ireland where the weather can and does vary by the minute. Bring good walking shoes and rainwear - enjoy the almost tropical athmosphere in the gardens, take time to breath it all in and when you finally leave say a big hello to the gentle dog.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Reenellen

Reviewed 15 July 2009

I am an avid gardener so you can imagine my delight when I recently went to Valentia Island County Kerry to find this attraction on the doorstep. However the experience of the visit to the gardens was a huge disappointment and extremely expensive.
The literature promises a magical sub tropical garden with various sections and wonderful walks. The reality is that for 20 euros (2 adults and 2 under 5's) you wander around and around overgrown paths which are so badly maintained that it is impossible to view or distinguish any of the plants or themes of the walks. The paths are actuially dangerous and some of the overgrown plants hazardous tskin and eyes. The visitor map highlights areas such as bamboo walk and orchard which in reality are completely overgrown and inaccessible. I could still be looking for the pond in the bog garden but had to call it a day!!
The directional signage is very poor if in existence at all - some missing and other signs lying on the ground. At the end of the visit I felt very ripped off and disappointed.This was made even worse when a few days later I visited Derrynane House and Gradens and paid 6 euros for the same family group to visit both the House and wonderful, accessible and maintained gardens.
Anyone taken in by the marketing literature should think twice before visiting.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
15  Thank carapea
Reviewed 25 May 2008

I stayed at Glanleam House with three friends and we all enjoyed our stay tremendously. The standards were very high, the surroundings beautiful and the owners were helpful and friendly. Our rooms were comfortable and luxurious with spectacular views over the bay to mountains on the mainland. The exceptional and historical gardens are fascinating and their ongoing restoration is the result of the brave and imaginative owner. Glanleam is a great and relaxing base for exploring Valentia Island and parts of Kerry.

It would have been a bonus to have tea and coffee making facilities in the bedrooms, but that is the only thing that I would change in this comfortable and interesting family country house hotel.

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank Travelhappy53
Reviewed 7 May 2008

Having just returned from Glanleam house, we were delighted to return to our own bed and the comforts of home. Given the expensive rates charged in this house, I cannot dissuade potential visitors strongly enough not to stay here.

We were greeted by an interrogation as to why we were so late arriving. The room we stayed in had a beautiful view, but not basic comforts like a tea/coffee making facilities. We were provided with one litre bottle of water for our three day stay. Our bed was covered in a duvet that was too small for the bed, which meant one of us woke up without blankets each night.

Every time we met the landlady she was complaining, (the gate had been left open, the gate was broken, guests due to arrive were making awkward requests etc)

One evening during our stay we were chatting to the landlady outside, as we had just returned from a lovely walk around the grounds. Suddenly one of her dogs appeared, barking angrily. The land lady tried to reason with the dog, but he came straight towards me, jumped up on me and almost knocked me over, growling vicously. I dread to think what might have happened had the landlady not been there to restrain him. She said he had reacted like that once before to another lady also dressed in black. I found this experience distressing, so make sure you dress in the appropriate colours when going walking!

This is definitely somewhere we felt we needed to go on holidays to recover from. A very disappointing stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
20  Thank Eyelash28
Reviewed 8 September 2007

I think the reviews I read here were unfair. We had a lovely stay at Glanleam; our every comfort was thought of ; our hostess was gracious and attentive. She has restored a magnificent garden - no small feat on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean - and has saved a fine house from dereliction. Valentia Island itself is a place I have visited many times, and never grow tired of the it.
It's a real treat to stay in Glanleam House, but a trip to Valentia and a tour of the gardens is strongly reccommended for all visitors to Kerry

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
30.5 km away
Sneem Hotel
Sneem Hotel
#2 of 3 in Sneem

Been to Glanleam House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK