“Charming people, bare bulb room.”
Review of Ben View House

and 1 more site!
Ben View House
Ranked #1 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Sebastopol, California
“Charming people, bare bulb room.”
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I've stayed in B&B's all over Ireland over many years and have never seen a mattress with duct tape keeping it together before! The hosts were surely very pleasant and the antiques were everywhere, but it was like staying at your favorite aunt's house where you don't mind those things so much.
We looked forward to the pancake breakfast for a change, the berries were plentiful but the pancakes were partly burnt!
The linens were very clean, but the furniture was broken, the shower doors didn't close and there were no shades on the lamps. Honestly, they need to get new mattresses and fix things!
Three stars to me says that I'll get a basic room where things work and a decent breakfast.
That all being said, the location was great, the room was quiet at night and the table setting was beautiful - just be ready to think of it as a relative's house, not a B&B.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank planejo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Hebrew first
San Diego CA
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I've stayed at Ben View a few times, and agree with other reviewers that the warmth of the welcome and the charm of the hosts far outweigh any deficit in room size or lack of mod cons. I heartily recommend Ben View to travellers interested in connecting to 'the real Ireland'. The Morris' offer true Irish hospitality, and a lovely breakfast as well. I have to say that the first time I stayed was many years ago, when I arrived the night before the Conemmarra Pony show - I was VERY late arriving, as I badly misjudged just how long it would take to drive from Cork to Clifden (typical tourist mistake!). The town was heaving! But they had saved my room and kindly helped me with my luggage and were as accomodating as one could wish. Another B&B might just as easily given my room away, as I'm sure they'd had plenty of inquiries that evening. I still feel deep gratitude for that!

• Stayed October 2009
Lawrence Kansas
Reviewed 13 September 2008

I arrived in Clifden by bicycle, without lodging arranged. Ben View house was found located directly across the street from the tourist office, which happened to be closed at the time.

The room was clean, the staff friendly and accommodating. Upon my request, secure storage of my bicycle was provided. The price of the room was more than reasonable. In the area of the hotel were a variety of restaurants and pubs. Breakfast was of good quality and quantity.

I would go back, and would recommend to anyone interested in a great Irish holiday.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Alabama
Reviewed 8 July 2008

This is one of the best kept secrets of Ireland! I cannot find enough wonderful words to describe the owners of this old world charm B&B. Our room was a nice size (typical European) the bathroom was larger than MOST bathrooms I have experienced in Europe and the noise level was not at all unbearable! Charming antiques and a wonderful breakfast can be found here as well! I would stay here time and again! I really feel that these owners go out of their way to make you feel right at home and part of the family!

• Liked — The friendliness of the owners!
  • Disliked — Maybe parking?
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane
Reviewed 21 May 2008

My husband and I stayed there on a cold rainy night in January, Despite the other reviews, we had a big room, an excellent bathroom, it was warm and cosy. We were at the back of the house upstairs. The owners were very friendly and helpful. I loved all the family memorabilia and the breakfast room. We stayed at 10 different places in Ireland and it is the one I will always remember. Would I go back there? every time. I really felt at home. We should have stayed longer.

Stayed January 2008