“Peaceful cottage in a fab part of Ireland”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Blue School

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
wet room
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Catherine...
London, United Kingdom
“Peaceful cottage in a fab part of Ireland”
Reviewed 20 February 2014 for a stay in October 2013

I decided to take myself away from everything, so I could finish the novel I was writing. I was looking for a reasonably priced cottage, where I could be in peace, but where there were still people nearby if I needed them (as I was a lone female and am not used to the countryside!). This cottage did the job for that as it is in the same grounds as the family home and the owners gave me the privacy I needed, but also made it clear they were there if I needed anything - even a cup of tea and some company! The facilities (fridge, washing machine, oven, etc.) were modern and worked well. the bed was comfy and there was plenty of space for a studio (enough for me to break from the writing for some yoga sessions!). I loved the local area too: Clonakilty is a lovely, friendly town, full of character (with some gorgeous food in the local shops). Inchydoney Beach is stunning. I got loads of writing done, so all in all, a successful trip. The main downside for me was that I did feel cold sometimes, although it was a mild autumn. I mentioned this to the owners at the start of my stay and they increased the time the heating was on, but really, I felt the cottage just didn't retain the heat well. Also, I would prefer, when I'm staying somewhere, to have control over the heating. However, I should also point out that I am someone who gets cold easily, and unlike most tourists, I spent most of my time in the cottage sitting stationary at my laptop. I did find an economical mini heater in a local discount shop, which helped a lot! Another minor thing was that although the cottage was clean in all the obvious places, there were some nooks and crannies that could have done with a once over. Finally, I think there was something in the cottage making me sneeze and sniffle a bit! I am allergic to cat hairs and feathers, which is what normally causes these symptoms, but I couldn't work out the cause in this case. Still, I thought it was worth mentioning for the benefit of other people with such allergies. Sorry to the owners for taking so long to write this review!

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Being cold sometimes
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Sharoneva
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Don't stay here in the winter”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 for a stay in December 2013

We arrived at 3pm as we were told could not check in until 2pm. The cottage was freezing and Ina had to wait until her husband came home to light the fire to heat the cottage. We had travelled all night and and just wanted a hot shower and a cosy nap before going out to meet family. And although there was hot water, it was too cold in the cottage to get showered & dressed again so went out the same way we had travelled from the evening before, hoping the cottage would be warmer when we returned. We did tell Ina it was too cold and it needs the fire on constantly to warm the radiators to which she said they would do. It did slightly improve but if we came back in an afternoon it would be just as cold again as there was no heating on in the day. We were lucky to have family nearby and was spending a lot of time with them including most of our meals. If we hadn't had anyone nearby it would have been an expensive horrible holiday as the weather was also appalling. If it hadn't been for my sister lending us an oil heater we would have been miserable with the cold. The house was warming up towards the end of our 10 day stay.

For £600, that is £60 per night, this was poor poor service, we didn't need much, just some warmth. This might be a good house in the summer but if they cannot keep the heating going for winter guests, then it should not be let out on the winter.

We stay in many different cottages throughout the UK & Ireland and this is the first time I have ever ever done a bad review!

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
16 Apr 2014
This was our first December/January let during a particularly cold season. The cottage had been heated prior to your arrival but just happened not to be on when you arrived in the afternoon as we had regulated it to be on for long periods (except for a few hours in the afternoon and during the night). However, we had genuinely underestimated how long the cottage would need to warm up fully prior to a guest's arrival which is why, although the heat was on almost continuously, it didn't seem warm enough initially. We apologised profusely for this and turned it on continuously over a 24 hour period for the remainder of your stay.

We should like to point out that had your demeanour (from the moment you arrived even prior to entering the cottage) been less antagonistic and negative, we feel this would have been a much more pleasant encounter for all. We feel your expectations are perhaps best suited to hotel style accommodation where communication is at a minimum and you feel that, traveling with a large dog, to leave the accommodation in a very neglected state without saying goodbye is acceptable.

Thank you.
gesanners
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Peace & quiet with comforts of home”
Reviewed 13 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013

We've just returned from a week at Ina and Jean Luc's lovely cottage. We wanted to get away from the city but needed to keep in touch with people on the internet so the facilities were perfect for us. We were especially appreciative of the hosts unobtrusiveness and we'd certainly look to re-visit some time when we visit Clonakilty.

Travelling group: Teenagers
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
RossConke...
Redlands, California, United States
“Cozy Vacation Cottage”
Reviewed 6 August 2013 for a stay in July 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Blue school and cannot recommend it enough. The price was a bargain for what we received---a comfy bed, plenty of space for both of us, a well appointed kitchen, and a quiet, serene getaway for our trip. The location was great for day trips to beaches, West Cork, and County Kerry.

Liked best: Comfortable Living
Liked least: Not applicable
Your age range 25-34
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Freek V
Brussels, Belgium
“Fantastic weekend”
Reviewed 27 February 2013 for a stay in February 2013

I was suprised by the misses with a weekend away to the blue school. The cottage has a very good atmosphere. We arrived late in the evening in february but Ina and Jean Luc were waiting for us and gave us a warm welcome. The cottage was pre-heated and clean. It is equiped with everything you could think of. The bathroom is rather small but has a very good shower. The living area is spacious. The cottage is close to the village of Clonakilty and this gives you all the possibilities from a good breakfast to some shopping and very nice pubs. The area surrounding the cottage gives you enough adventure. If you like hiking there is a good book for sale in the local bookshop.

Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing