1,179 results
All reviews golf course leisure centre old world bar food old style porridge public areas fantastic weekend lovely room evening meal kids club sea view both nights from start to finish my mother weekend break family room
Reviewed 24 May 2015

My husband and myself spent 2 absolutely brilliant days at the hotel mid May. When we arrived on the Tuesday we were initially greeted by lovely reception staff and although early given our room straight away. It was spacious, clean and warm, yes old style furnishing but that goes with the hotels style and age. The breakfasts and evening meal were just so well presented and tasted delicious and again the lovely girls in the dining room always had genuine smiles on their faces and always engaged in conversation. The hotel was fully booked during our stay with a few coach tours staying and the ambience in it was great with a dance on every night we were there. I know there are negative reviews from other tripadvisors but for our experience I can only tell you it was amazing and we will be returning hopefully soon.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank marian40
Reviewed 24 May 2015

This hotel is in a beautiful location facing the sea, the food is very good unless you are vegetarian they really can't do good veggie food at all, I am lucky I can eat meat when I have to and all the other food was really good. The tables in the dinning room were far to close to each other, I actually got hit in the back of the head, by the head waiter as he struggled to get between the tables to serve the meal. In its day this hotel would have been a stunning four star hotel, it still is really nice but there are too many things needing attended to to still have a four star rating. The reception staff were really nice and the foyer and ground floor of hotel really lovely. The lounge area had stunning views of the sea and hills.One of the evenings at dinner the owner came round all the tables to speaks to guests he was a charming older gentleman and I thought that was a lovely touch. The towels in my room were changed every day and the bed was super comfortable. The only thing that truly let this hotel down and I hope the management read this and look into it , was the bar staff! On one occasion I went to the bar asked for a prosseco, I was given a glass and a small bottle with the cork still on , I have problems with my hands and when I asked several times and was obviously ignored till I raised my voice could he open it for me the look I got was awful , even another guy at the bar commented! On another visit to the bar a dark haired guy gave me a glass it was filthy he saw my face and said awwh jeez you'd be wanting a clean one then!! The next visit the following day the same guy gave me yet another filthy glass but I didn't notice it till I sat down, I went back to the bar and said to a heavier set guy with glasses, could I please have a clean glass, he looked at me with disgust and looked at the glass as if he could not see the mess it was in!! He walked away left me standing there and then the original guy with the longer dark hair came back and said let me polish it up for you! Also the prosseco was 5.95euro in the afternoon and by tea time it had gone to 6.50 euro to be honest I don't think across any of the drinks I was charged the same price twice!! So would I recommend the hotel, yes its lovely most of the staff lovely, the food apart from the Veggie stuff, was great the room was kept clean and the location beautiful. I would say yes book it but avoid the bar!!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank west603
Reviewed 24 May 2015 via mobile

For my sons first communion we decided to return again to the Great Northern Hotel. We booked for the evening meal and went to the swimming pool with the kids. Pool lovely and warm, soft balls to play with and floats available if needed, friendly staff and very clean. We then spent some time on the relaxing sofas taking in the view of Bundoran bay. Our food was delicious and service excellent. A special thank you to Jackie in reception and Sarah who looked after us so well. My son will remember his special day.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Ecasie
Reviewed 24 May 2015 via mobile

We had a room with the sea view on the second floor. Very spacious and clean.
Breakfast was very good, especially when kids discovered pancake machine!!!! They just loved it!
Very friendly and helpful receptionists- always have time to chat with kids.
Come back again.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Rositt
Reviewed 23 May 2015

This hotel claimed to be a 4 star hotel I would say 2 star. The hotel is need of modernising. The experience was then furthered hampered by the unfriendly staff, the dark dull dreary bedroom, the bar with no atmosphere, the batman was more interested in texting on his phone than serving the guests or even making an effort in engaging in a conversation. The breakfast was terrible as it was cooked many many hours before and we didn't have an evening meal as we decided to leave a day early. We won't be back.

Room tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple