“Great staff and lovely location”

Great Northern Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
Belfast
“Great staff and lovely location”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We booked a 3 night Easter special for 2 adults and 2 kids (under 12). Our room was one of the "older" ones but it was still very nice. I had booked on-line and asked for a sea view if possible and had been given one. The room had 2 single and 1 double bed - the only thing I would have like to improve would have been the size of the double which I think was 1 4*6, but I guess that reflects the price we paid. The heater did not seem to be working well but within a few minutes of a call to reception it was fixed.

Breakfasts were plentiful and the fries were hot. Dinners were of a high standard, but all of the kids' options had chips and I would have like to see more variety there. I know the vast majority of kids love chips but it would be nice to have a couple of popular additions (like spaghetti bolognese or curry and rice) or the option of having a half adult portion. The restaurant staff were very professional, courteous and helpful and one waitress (Eilish) arranged to have ice-cream sent up to my little boy in the bedroom (he was not feeling very well).

Both my kids attended the "GoKids" club which they really enjoyed. The 2 young girls running it are doing an exceptional job and are great with the kids. My little boy was sick on the last day but it was no trouble to them and looked after him very well until I picked him up. I tried to tip them on the morning I was leaving but they refused to accept anything!

I used the pool a few times. I am a very keen swimmer and it was possible to swim early or late and have space, although on one of the occasions there were kids in the pool after 7 pm and a notice clearly indicates that no kids were allowed after 7 pm (I love kids but not when I am trying to do lengths).

There were a lot of kids in the hotel which suited us. There are long corridors and several large public rooms with nooks and crannies which I think most young kids find exciting.

The hotel is perfectly sited in the middle of a golf course overlooking the sea. There is a wonderful walk around the coast which we did a few times. Bundoran does look a bit tired in places but I was generally very impressed with this hotel and will be back.

Seamus McConville

Room Tip: If booking online and you want something in particular (like a sea view) then include it in the comm...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Derry
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed at the Great Northern Hotel over easter for 2 nights, Our room was on the first floor, it was a lovely room,spacious and very clean although the only critcism I have is that there were alot of children running around unattended, espeically at night time.This made it very difficult to get to sleep.
We enjoyed the breakfast, espeically the porridge which was beautiful!The staff were very friendly and looked after us well. We had one evening meal in the hotel, which was also lovely and the desserts were fab!
My mum and sister went to the pool and they were very happy with the facilties, although they did say the showers were cold when they came out along with the changing room.
Free wfi was available which is brillant as very few hotels provide free wfi, the connection was quick.
Overall we as a family were very impressed by the hotel as a whole and would defintly return again.

Room Tip: choose ground floor-probably quiter up the back
Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dearbhla M
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Front Office Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Thank you for your review. I reluctantly agree that it is extremely difficult to keep noise down when the hotel has a large volume of children staying, but we are registered as a family friendly hotel and during school holidays we are delighted to welcome children (and their mums, dads and grandparents); One of our great assets is there is something to suit all ages from the swimming pool and leisure centre, kids club, social dancing and golf. With all these things to do we get a great mix of clientele and this can sometimes cause small disturbances, at all times we have great staff and management on duty trying to keep everything in order. However the ultimate responsability for the childrens' behaviour does belong to their parents. I have to agree we get numerous compliments about our porridge - an American guest reckoned it was the worlds best!! Thats some achievement. Our executive chef and his staff work extremely hard to offer superb food, and I must admit I am particial to the desserts myself! We would love to welcome your family back in the future.
Poole
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My wife and spent at weekend at the hotel as part of a group event. Let's be honest, Bundoran is a bit of a dump and so my expectations were low. However, the Great Northern exceeded our expectations and offered exceptional value in clean and comfortable rooms (shame about the view of the wall of the next building). The staff were, with one exception, outstandingly efficient and helpful and I suspect are perhaps overworked and somewhat put upon but they coped admirably. One male member who worked mainly in the bar could do with some coaching on interpersonal skills (and they might sell more drink as a result)-smiling and making people feel welcome seemed to be an aspect of Irish hospitality that had passed him by. Just a couple of suggestions to improve the customer experience: 1. The traditional fish and chips on the bistro menu should be attended to as a matter of urgency (the fish-ugh! two-thirds concrete crumb stuff, one third some strange white stuff). 2. The staff areas behind reception and the little office space behind look as it they have never seen a vacuum cleaner (staff should be treated no less well than customers), it just creates a bad impression and the staff deserved better. 3. The components of the fried breakfast appeared to have been cooked earlier and kept warm and had gone dry and hard.

To finish on a couple more positives, the dinner we had was very good and excellent value served by pleasant hard working staff. Breakfast (apart from the fry) was excellent-best porridge in Ireland. The walks around the hotel are truly oustanding. A great place to stay if you in this part of Ireland. I'd definitely stay there again and would recommend it but some attention to details would help.

Room Tip: Ask up front if you will have a room with a view other than of a rendered wall. Avoid the ground fl...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Front Office Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, you are spot on the Rougey Cliff Walk around the Hotel is fabulous affording beautiful vistas over the Atlantic ocean. A large selection of our bedrooms also have these amazing Ocean Views, but they are hughly popular and need to be booked well in advance. We strive to offer good service at a reasonable price, our staff work hard and are a great asset, I am generally surprised that you found fault with a member of our bar team, this will be investigated, it is a pity that this wasnt brought to our attention during your visit, so that it could have been dealt with straight away. I have spoken to our executive chef and he has taken on board your feedback. We would love to welcome you back in the future!
Wicklow
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I have been staying in the great northern for 27 years. I have always loved it but as I have stayed in more and more hotels around the country I wonder how this hotel still has its 4 star rating. While it has the best location of any hotel, the facilities are just not up to standard. It must be the only hotel in the country that does not offer low fat milk. Most 4 star hotels even offer skimmed and soya as an option. I was disappointed with this, as was my family. The breakfast selection was not great, no fresh fruit, yogurts, pastries, or breads. The swimming pool is the size of a bath still. We were also disappointed there was no playroom facilities for babies and small children as there were so many children in the hotel. I just feel that hotel standards in general have improved but the great northern hotel is still at the same standard it was 20 years ago. I will still continue to come back to this hotel, i just hope some of my suggestions are taken on board and the overall standard improves.

1 Thank Carmeloc M
Thank you for your feedback. We really do appreciate customer feed back. As a repeat customer you will have noticed the large investment that has been poured into the Hotel in the last two years, refurbishing the lobby, Atlantic Bar, Grill Room and Leisure Centre, unfortunately with space being an issue the swimming pool (15 metres) could not be extended. In relation to the breakfast selection i am amazed there was no low fat milk, as it is ordered daily and is always available, any one that informs us of special dietary requests in advance are also catered for including soya products and gluten free ranges. Over tha Easter and Summer season we offer a Kids Club to entertain the children at no additional cost. Wr look forward to seeing you and your family back in the future.
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Let me start by pointing out that this hotel is rated as a four star hotel, and that this the basis upon which this review is written... So from the top:
Reservation/Check-in:
Having made a reservation 3 weeks prior to arrival with seemingly no problem, the room was mistakenly booked for two nights instead of one. However, changing this was no an issue, and was dealt with swiftly. Check-in was fairly painless, with no issue. I did attempt to check in early and was allowed bring my bags to the room. However, no effort was made to point out any of the hotels facilities upon check in which is expected in a four star hotel. As a result, I am unable to comment on the availability of services such as an internet connected computer (as an example).
Interior/Exterior:
Foyer was spacious and comfortable. Bar and 'grill room' was well maintained and furnished to a high quality with plenty of televisions scattered throughout the bar area. Restaurant is a little dated, and was somewhat reminiscent of the Overlook Hotel, as were other parts of the hotel. This in itself is not a criticism, just an observation. Generally acceptable in terms of cleanliness and upkeep.
The swimming pool was a little grubby, and in places clearly not maintained (the metal steps covered in some type of mold would be a good example). Toilets were obviously not checked throughout the evening (and it was pointed out to a staff member). Given the amount of children as guests in the hotel, this is not really acceptable.
Needs a lick of paint in many places. There are numerous missing paving stones on the footpaths around the hotels. There are also rusting trestle tables lying around the outside of the hotel. Generally very messy and badly maintained.
Food and drink:
Bar menu was standard fare with salads, sandwiches, soup and the usual bar food mains that are typically found. The dinner menu was disappointing in that there was no a la carte menu, just a relatively limited dinner menu. This may have been due to the Easter weekend demand However food quality was good in the restaurant and bar for lunch and dinner.. Breakfast was very disappointing. Full Irish breakfast was available. However the buffet consisted of canned fruit, and cereal fruit juices. Again, as a four star hotel I would have expected cold meats and cheeses at a minimum, and also pastries, croissants etc, for those not partaking in an Ulster fry. Drinks quality was as expected from a hotel bar.
Service:
I have to admit that the service ranged from appalling to very good. Starting with the good; The younger waiting staff at dinner and breakfast were very friendly and efficient and should be commended. However the supervisory staff, who were hosting and seating guests seemed to be quite put out on occasion by having to deal with guests. Lessons to be learned there from the junior waiting staff.
On four separate occasions across the day evening and night, I stood at a bar with at least two bar staff, and very few customers for at least 5 minutes being either ignored or not noticed. My expectation (in a four star hotel) would be to get acknowledged at a minimum when approaching and then waiting at the bar. On two occasions, I was left waiting for a pint of Guinness, which had gone a touch stale prior to being topped off. Some staff were poorly presented and were less than professional. However two members of bar staff did provide a good service.
The hotel is promoted as a family hotel and there seemed to be an appropriate tolerance of young children in the hotel for the day that we were in attendance. However, there was an interesting issue during the evening where the lead singer of the two piece band playing that night requested that the children (who were very well behaved and whose parents were paying guests) be removed from the dance floor in the interest of the those who were there to dance. It was quite curt and very rude to say the least. Numerous parents complained, and rightly so. The manager on duty or staff member was heard to say (something along the lines of) that it 'was' a family hotel, but not at that time of the evening. Given that it was Easter weekend and that the hotel should have been very accustomed to children in the hotel and bar in the evening on such weekends, it is the management's job to inform parents on arrival, or at least through posted notices that they are not welcome on the dance floor or anywhere else. I would imagine that many of those parents will not set foot in the hotel again. As a parent myself, I would have to agree.
Facilities:
Pool: bordering on dirty
Playground: Personally speaking, a little unsafe. with rotten wood swing seats and rusty chains. Large rocks beside badly spaced and crooked wooden steps up to a slide. The equipment itself is sub-standard as in woeful need of updating.... again I re-iterate this meant to be a family hotel.
Gym/leisure centre: Did not use
Golf club: Good value golf course with nice links views (Not Augusta, but good for the green fees)
Entertainment: Live music on obvious nights

Rooms:
Spacious, but very dated.

Summary:
For €140 for one night in Bundoran, quite poor. Four star price for 2-3 star standards. However, some serious focus on customer service, a well managed cleaning and maintenance program, some updating of decor in places, improved facilities (particularly the playground) and a thorough read of Bord Failte's Hotel classification guidelines, and it could be worthy of the rating.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Mac10K

Travellers are raving about these Bundoran hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
0.8 km away
21.9 km away
Mill Park Hotel
Mill Park Hotel
#3 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Great Northern Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK