All reviewscamp bedlovely hotelkids clubfamily roomfrom start to finishstayed here for nightsbuffet breakfastfunction roomquiet locationswimming poolleisure centregreat facilitiessauna and steam roomfour starfood was lovelyfamily breakbar restaurant
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We stayed here in March as part of a group activity that the hotel ran for a full weekend. We got excellent value for money (presumably huge group helped this). We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay again rooms are very nice, the bed is extremely comfortable, shower wasn't working properly staff did everything to fix this at the weekend with no maintenance staff available and when this could not be rectified they offered us a new room next door for convenience. Late check out is only until 12.30 could be improved however having spoke to the lovely male manager didn't catch his name, he arranged for us to stay for another hour free of charge and this was much appreciated. Pool area could do with some renovations but overall a lovely relaxing experience and would definitely revisit this hotel. Staff were extremely helpful, friendly and obliging in all areas and roles in the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
andrewkeane2017, General Manager at Great National Hotel Ballina, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear Carolyn,

We are delighted to read that you had a most enjoyable stay with us recently and that you will be returning to us.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the North of Mayo.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Just returned from a stay here. Rooms are big and clean, could do with a little updating. Pool area also needs some upgrading. I’m coeliac and vegetarian and informed staff twice before arrival. While the waitress that served us was very pleasant, unfortunately I don’t believe the restaurant had been informed of my dietary requirements as I had been told they would. I got the soup to start that arrived with bread that wasn’t gluten free (no bread provided for me), stir fry didn’t taste like fresh veg and had little flavour, chocolate brownie didn’t have much flavour either. A while later I was still hungry after my meal and asked another waitress if I could get anything at all that was gluten free and no one ever came back to me. While staff were pleasant, service was very slow - several members of staff seen us waiting to be seated and didn’t see to us, we waited a good half hour after our dessert, no tea/coffee offered, plates weren’t cleared, we eventually had to go up to the bar to settle the bill. Again, waiting to be seated for breakfast, no tea/coffee offered.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
andrewkeane2017, General Manager at Great National Hotel Ballina, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry to read your review and we will be looking into solutions for the concerns that you have raised.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor and on your next visit to the North of Mayo please contact me directly and I will ensure that you will have a pleasant stay with us.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We stayed here for two nights with our grandchildren. We found the staff to be very friendly and efficient. All the staff we came into contact with were Irish and local which means so much when you are a tourist to the area. You can get advice and directions and helpful tips. The rooms were spotless and well equipped. The swimming pool was nice and warm and the kids made great use of it. The food and drink was of good quality and reasonably priced. On the whole I would highly recommend this hotel as it is very well situated for travelling around North Mayo.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
andrewkeane2017, General Manager at Great National Hotel Ballina, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Great National Hotel Ballina and that you found the we have "very friendly staff".

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Great National Hotel Ballina in the very near future.

General Manager.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for Valentine's Weekend and despite a hiccup with our spa treatments, which the hotel manager did his best to rectify, the food was fabulous, the staff were lovely and the hotel was clean.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JEDolan
andrewkeane2017, General Manager at Great National Hotel Ballina, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2018

Dear JEDolan,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I remember speaking to you and I am delighted to hear that we turned around what could have been a negative experience into a very positive one and that you found the food to be fabulous, the staff to be friendly and the hotel to be clean.

The Team and Myself look forward to welcoming you back to the Great National Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights at the weekend for the fantastic bargain of €162 b&b all in and can I just say I don't know why all the negative reviews for this hotel. From the moment we arrived the staff were all very friendly , the hotel was spotless , the leisure centre was also clean and warm , room was very big and spotless , had dinner the first night €25 each for three courses off the early bird menu very good , breakfast very good also , only one niggle if I had to be very pickey I would say order your poached eggs early as they take a while. But really all in all a great weekend. Thanks

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank liam d
andrewkeane2017, General Manager at Great National Hotel Ballina, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Dear Liam D,

We are very happy to read your review about your recent stay with us and thank you for very kind feedback on your stay.

It is very positive to read your comments and I will be passing them on to the team as they are always interested to hear any feedback we get.

We hope to welcome you back to the Great National Hotel Ballina in the very near future.

Kind regards