New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Heaven on earth!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pax Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dingle
Pax Guest House
Ranked #1 of 77 Dingle B&B and Inns
Milford, Connecticut
“Heaven on earth!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

What else can you say about one of the most beautiful places in Ireland. We had a view of the bay from our room. Every morning we woke up to an amazing landscape. I would definitely recommend that mmyou pay the extre for this room. The view is unbeatable and the room is very spacious with your own living room.
You still have access to the main room of the house. John makes everyone feel like they are at home and encourages people to gather in the beautiful room. This lends itself to meeting other guests which we did and it greatly added to the pleasure of our stay. We met more people here than in any other B&B.
The breakfasts are wonderful. Definitely have the porridge with raisins sorted in whiskey and a shot of Baileys.
Finally there is John and Rio. John could not be a more welcoming host. He is very knowledgeable about the area and is more than willing to help. He has set up a perfect holiday location.
Rio is his dog with a wonderful disposition and a desire to chase a tennis ball.
This is THE spot in Ireland to stay.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Paul K
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Gurgaon, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

There is not much I can add to what all has already been said about this place. Spent 2 nights (20 & 21st April, 2012) and had no regrets at all. Location is fantastic (walking distance to town centre), the view from the sitting rooms and even our room (even though we were on the lower floor) were really great overlooking Dingle harbour.

And John, the owner, does take care of each and every guest - without fail. He has gone to tremendous lengths to decorate the property and a great amount of thought is visible in everything that seems to be 'lying around' in the place.

Absolutely no hesitation in recommending this place in Dingle.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the upper level and facing the water
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rajeev168
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Our lovely stay at Pax started with the warm welcome. We had thought we'd be late arriving (most places asked us to arrive by 6:30), but everyone seemed to have had the same idea, so we arrived at Pax along with 3 or 4 other groups. John, the owner, calmly asked us to relax in the sitting room and told us he'd be right with us. He really took the time to give us a tour of the guest house, including pointing out several landmarks in Dingle bay, and asked us about our trip thus far.

Our room was very nice - we didn't get a sea view since we weren't planning on spending too much time in our room - and the bed was very comfortable. When we got back after dinner, we found that the bed had been turned down for us, and there were chocolates on one of the nightstands - what a nice touch!

This was definitely the best breakfast we had the whole time we were in Ireland (and all of the breakfasts were delicious). There was a buffet with fresh fruit, poached pears, Greek yogurt, local heather honey, juices, and wonderful currant scones (I think there was also breakfast cereal, for those who like it). Then, we ordered from a breakfast menu (I heard other people custom order their breakfasts, so I'm sure we could have done the same). My husband had scrambled eggs, and I had a wonderful omelette with goat cheese and fresh herbs.

After breakfast, we went out onto the communal balcony for one last look at the Bay. We got to pet the resident dog, Rio (who is extremely well behaved, and was great around children), and even noticed that there were chickens in a little coop in the yard (which explains why our eggs were so delicious).

Despite being very busy making breakfast, John even took the time to come out and say goodbye to us, and tell us about the drive to Slea Head on the Dingle Peninsula. We weren't originally going to take the drive, since we had to drive all the way back towards Dublin, but John made it sound so lovely that we couldn't resist, and he was right!

On a side note - my guidebook, Frommer's, says that this place is 120-160 euros/night, which would have been out of our budget. We came in April, and reserved a couple of months in advance, but I'm glad I looked on TripAdvisor, because the rate wasn't even close to that high for the two of us.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NDillinger
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

John, your host is wonderful provides a warm welcome and allows you to unwind after a day of touring! The hotel truly does have the best view from it's lovely sitting room! The rooms are outstanding, even the ones without "the view" have a pastoral view to the north. It is walking distance to town center. Breakfast was great and the dog, Rio made us feel at home! We hope to go back someday.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dwasher696
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

When one is traveling, there is obviously a certain desire to get lost, try new things and escape from your everyday life. If, however, you're anything like me, there is a tiny corner of you that longs to curl up by the fire on the couch in your pj's and just 'be', albeit, somewhere other than home. The Pax Guesthouse could not accomplish this delicate combination any better if they tried, and I believe the effortlessness with which this place just 'works' would be ruined if they did. To begin, the sometimes sketchy process of booking abroad couldn't have been easier. John, the owner/operator is extremely communicative, offering choices of specific rooms, and detailed directions to rival the best sat nav system on earth. The website doesn't do it justice... use it as a rough guide.

Upon arrival to the neatly groomed driveway, I was warmly greeted by John. I was early, and he seated me in the very comfortable lounge and brought me a pot of strong coffee and a plate of shortbread. As I relaxed into the cozy cushions and attempted to soak in the literally breathtaking view, I realized that I felt instantly at home. Surrounded by an eclectic yet strangely familiar collection of books, art, furniture and figurines, I felt as though I was visiting the home of a well-traveled pal. As I happily chilled, browsing the local interest books, peering across the bay at the dolphin-seeking tour boat with a pair of binoculars, and catching up on email with the free wifi, Rio, the house dog came and gently laid her shaggy head on my feet as if to say "welcome home, friend".

John provided me with a hand-drawn map and local advice while showing me to my room. My room was quiet, bright, and large by European standards, with the same beautiful sea view as the lounge. Perfectly clean, with a large tub, mini fridge and comfy bed covered with thick, wooly blankets that I treasured (turndown at night complete with chocolates and a fuzzy teddy to snuggle with).

Breakfast was as much an art show as it was a meal. A nice buffet to start with cereal, juices, coffee, tea, yogurt and fresh fruit, as well as freshly baked scones and bread. An individual water pitcher is brought to you with lemon, mint and cucumber floating inside (I swear, there is NO detail overlooked here). Just looking around the room to see the finely crafted meals lovingly placed before each guest made choosing the main course difficult. Though the choices are standard fare - pancakes, omelettes, full Irish, eggs and soldiers - it is the obvious care in presentation that bumps the whole experience up from being simply culinary. Boiled eggs come dressed (I kid you not) in their own wooly sweaters, pancakes are layered with sliced banana and topped artistically with fresh berries and mint... nearly every guest photographed their plate before diving in with zeal. The staff is truly beyond friendly, calling each guest by their first name as if they were family, and always there to help, but never intrusive. Their loyalty and commitment to excellent service is a testament to John's character and standards.

Whether I was cozy under a blanket watching the weather blow by, throwing the ball for Rio in the backyard while dodging the hens, or being warmly welcomed back after a long day of hiking the Dingle Way, my experience exceeded every expectation I had, even after reading such positive reviews. John is a wealth of global knowledge, and his sense of grace, tact and respect evokes a feeling that there is hope for a hospitality industry that far too often settles for 'good enough'. Every guest I spoke to mentioned how pleased they were with the guesthouse, John, and the staff.

Don't let the location scare you... I found that the 10 minute walk to town past the sheep and cows in the meadows put me in a very relaxed and open headspace... while the walk home (for me, usually in the pitch black - take one of the reflective vests provided free in your room for safety's sake) was a great way to wind down from a night of music, new friends and that last shot of Baileys. Plus, the wind is almost always at your back on the way home!

I can't fault a single thing at the Pax, and I lierally can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and John intuitively put me at the end of the hall. Perfection. Allso - cho...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo